The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 23, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Thompson Center ......

..... ... Dimension rifles?

My son can get a new one for $447. I only remember the original TC rifles. Single shot, where the action opens sort of like a single barrel shotgun.

This appears to be a bolt action. I had no idea TC was making bolt action rifles.

Anyway, are they any good? Looks to be a basic plastic stock, matte blue finish, rifle.

Edited to add: I just noticed the sticky re TC's recall. This would be a new rifle, so I would assume they've worked out the bugs.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
reynolds357

I would recommend the TC venture over the Dimension, but thats just my 2 cents. I have a Venture. It is a good rifle. The dimension is a quality fire arm as far as mechanics go, but man, can you really stand to look at that thing? Its the ugliest rifle I have ever seen. The extra barrels cost as much as the Venture, so in my opinion the whole switch barrel concept is pointless.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:39 PM   #3
dbc3

i kinda like them myself. i have my eye on one in 308 left handed. saw plenty of reviews and all were good. i did hear the venture is a more accurate gun but for me...theyre not avaialbe in lefty. but honestly a guy on youtube shot a dimension at 100yds and covered all 3 shots with a quarter. that sounds good enough to me.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:11 PM   #4
skoal3

I bought one 8 months or so ago in 7mm08 and couldn't be happier. I don't mind the looks of it at all, shoots moa or better all day long, I've only shot out to 200 yards so far though. Mine won't shoot Hornady factory loads for some reason but other than that I think its a great gun.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

I am with Reynolds. I have had a T/C Venture (bolt action) for 3 years. It is a great rifle. My only gripe is that T/C has recalled it twice over (imo lawyer worry crap).

I have looked at the Dimension (whose only claim to fame over the Venture) is the ability to buy extra barrels and change calibers. The problem is, it costs almost as much to get a different barrel for them as to buy another rifle in a seperate caliber. IMO, the Dimension is an answer to a question that wasn't asked
Old December 26, 2013, 08:16 PM   #6
steveNChunter

I'd much rather have a Venture in each chambering I wanted than a Dimension with a bunch of different expensive parts to swap out. Just my personal preference.

IMO all the Dimension has going for it is that someday they will be a collector's rifle because there won't be many around since they aren't selling well.
Old December 27, 2013, 12:41 AM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

25-06

I also have a Venture in 25-06. So far it's only been dialed in at the range and carried in the field once. But it seems like a decent rifle. Good accuracy and no problems. I've read about the Dimension and don't quite grasp it. If Thompson Center rifle, I'd just get the Venture. My application was a 25-06, so that's what attracted me to the Thompson. I would have bought a Ruger American, but I didn't see my cartridge and Thompson had it. And I was also in the market for a lower cost rifle instead of one easily costing twice as much.