The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2013, 07:42 PM   #1
oldscot3

270 win

In all the years I've been shooting, I've never had a 270. Years ago I bought 600 Nosler bullets on a closeout shelf for $8.00 a box. Five boxes are 150gr.solid base, the remaining box is 100 140gr. Ballistic tips. I've been sitting on them waiting for the right rifle to come along.

I ended up with a deal on an older Rem 700 in 30 06 and scored a 24" 270 barrel on GB today. I can hardly wait to get it screwed on and start working up loads.

I'll be looking for that balance of accuracy and velocity but always favor the accuracy side. With regard to powders, I have all the old standards. Anyone care to opine on any of the new powders that might out-perform the oldies?
Old August 18, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Dan Newberry

I shoot a 270 to 1000 yards using 150 grain bullets (Sierra Gamekings) and 52.5 grains of IMR 4350.

H4831 is another good choice.

I'm letting the "hold my beer and watch this" crowd vent this new breed of powders a bit longer before I bother trying any of those...

Dan
Old August 18, 2013, 09:19 PM   #3
603Country

I've used H4831 and then H4831sc in my 270 for decades. Near max load. Shoots great behind 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and Sierra GK, and also behind the old Nosler SBBT (if any of you have a sack of those left over).
Old August 19, 2013, 06:03 AM   #4
Mike / Tx

First off I LOVE those Solid Bases, and have many a box sitting in my closet. As for the newer powders out preforming the older ones, well I don't know about that.

I have been playing with some of the Ramshot Hunter in mine with the 130gr weights, but that is about it. I load the 150's over 50grs of H4350 for a modest super accurate hunting load out of my Rem 700. I also load the 130's over 46.5grs of IMR-3031 for a modest super accurate load as well.

I have burned up plenty of the older reccomended loads with good results as well, but for the most part I use this particular rifle for a loaner or when I simply am out looking for hogs. Either of the lower loads listed above are within 4" at 300yds so in most cases Mr Piggie is simply raost on the hoof when I run across them. THey will also very much so ruin a deers day as well and have on many occaisions.

My suggestion is to simply load for accuracy first and formost. You will get plenty of velocity form that longer barrel, so that won't be a big issue. If you ahve the accuracy and those bullets moving along at anywhere near 2850'ish fps you will have a great hunting load for sure.
Old August 19, 2013, 01:53 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

My prefered powders -
Winchester 780 Supreme
Reloader 19

Ramshot Hunter and all of the classic powders have worked well for me (4895, 4831, H380, etc), but W780 and RL19 have been more consistent and less temperature sensitive. I know temperature sensitivity isn't something most people worry about, but my .270 goes on Elk and Antelope hunts, with the same handloads. So, they need to be just as good at 90 degrees, as they are at -4 degrees.

Ramshot Hunter was fantastic at cooler temperatures (below ~60 F), but wasn't as consistent when it warmed up.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:46 PM   #6
Doyle

The only .270 I ever owned wouldn't shoot 150 gr bullets worth a crap. It was a Win model 70 and I've heard from other Win 70 owners had the same issue. Maybe the twist was too slow for that long of a bullet.
Old August 19, 2013, 04:33 PM   #7
William T. Watts

my Model 70/270's shot the 150gr Nosler SPBT bullets well

I've had several 270Win's that shot the 150gr Nosler SPBT into groups anyone would be proud of. Nosler Soft point bullets were outstanding when it came to terminal performance and small groupings. When Federal discontinued purchasing Nosler Solid base bullets from Nosler they had to unloaded those bullets that Federal had been buying at rock bottom prices! H4831 and Nosler Solid base bullets are combination difficult to top! William