The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 8, 2018, 10:39 PM   #1
kymasabe

AR Barrel: look at these two and help me decide.

I'm looking to build another AR, a beater, a truck gun, something I don't worry about putting a scratch on. I've got an stripped Anderson slick side upper receiver ordered, and will probably be ordering an Anderson stripped lower soon as well. Am thinking about two barrels for the build.
First is an Anderson .223 Wylde, 16 inch, carbine gas, 1:8, I've used one before, really wasn't a bad barrel. Accuracy was typical for a $100 barrel, nothing special, no better or worse than some of the PSA barrels I've had in the past. But, in my search, I decided to look at Bear Creek, and found a similar barrel for half the price (is 5.56 however, not .223 Wylde but...).
My concern is the old adage "you get what you pay for" and am worried that the BCA barrel might be total cr@p. So, thought I'd let you all see them both, and tell me what you think.

https://www.andersonmanufacturing.co...black-nitride/
https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/b556cm41618-m

Yes, I know Faxon, and FN and Ballistic are far better barrels, just out of my price range right now. My "real" AR has Ballistic receivers and a Ballistic barrel, this build is just a budget spare.
Old November 8, 2018, 11:18 PM   #2
ed308

I'd go with the Anderson barrel. When it comes to barrels, you do get what you pay for. Plus, I've read way too many poor reviews about Bear Creek barrels. Listen to what your gut is telling you.
Old November 9, 2018, 05:32 AM   #3
armoredman

I have a Bear Creek 223 Wylde barrel, carbine length, 1-8, and with a very small sample so far it seems to shoot about 3-4 MOA from a front rest, iron sights with my 55gr VMAX reloads. That is literally ALL I know - my very first AR and very first build as well. I look forward to finding out what it does like.
I have heard the same about getting what you pay for but a gunsmith I know actually like BCA barrels for budget builds, if match accuracy is not what's on your mind.
Old November 9, 2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Mobuck

I bought a pair of BCA barrels from Primary Arms a couple weeks back. They included stripped uppers for about $180 for the pair. Danged hard to beat that for a knock-around.
One completed upper is dedicated to Hornady "Steel Match" and is in that under 1" @ 100 yards category. The other is fairly impressive throwing Hornady Frontier 55 "match" and Hornady 55 V-max to same POI averaging 1" composite(both loads) groups.
On the other hand, I'm not significantly impressed with the BCA 6.5 Grendel barrel I've been shooting. It's marginally "OK" for deer hunting but an under-achiever for precision shooting.
Old November 9, 2018, 11:24 AM   #5
ed308

Those BCA barrels seem to be hit or miss when it comes to accuracy.
Old November 9, 2018, 12:03 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I've heard too many negatives about BCA quality.

I'd prefer the Anderson, based on that, alone.

But, I also have an Anderson 'varmint' barrel (and maybe another?), with a few more in the family. All of us have been quite satisfied. My own Anderson barrel was part of an exercise in seeing how cheaply I could build a half decent .223 varmint upper**; but is on par with my BHW barrel -- the former typically shooting about 3/4 MoA with run of the mill reloads. Given proper attention and bespoke handloads, it would probably do notably better.

One of my brothers has been quite satisfied with a BCA 6.8 barrel, though. I think ed308 said it as plainly as possible: BCA barrels are hit-and-miss.

**(The answer was $93, including the barrel.)
Old November 9, 2018, 12:05 PM   #7
kymasabe

Problem solved: $69 !! Primary Arms flash sale !!
https://www.primaryarms.com/ballisti...Flashsale_Cali

Last edited by kymasabe; November 12, 2018 at 08:54 AM.
Old November 9, 2018, 08:32 PM   #8
ed308

Nice barrel. I like that it's a mid gas and nitride treated. Could be why it was so cheap since mids aren't as popular for that barrel style. Hope you got one before they sold out.
Old November 9, 2018, 11:26 PM   #9
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
Nice barrel. I like that it's a mid gas and nitride treated. Could be why it was so cheap since mids aren't as popular for that barrel style. Hope you got one before they sold out.
Yes, I did manage to snag one this morning shortly after the FlashSale was announced.
Old November 11, 2018, 05:58 PM   #10
Nathan

That BA in mid gas looks sweet. You really hit the nail on the head!
Old November 22, 2018, 11:38 PM   #11
Phidelt208

Get the Anderson, I just returned 2 Bear Creek barrels because they were so bad.
They functioned just fine, but they might as well of not had any rifling.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:50 PM   #12
rickyrick

I have barrels from several makers two of them being anderson. One of them is a 1:8 twist unlined 4150 16” carbine gassed. Built it as a cheap little rifle for the wife to use; it happens to be one of my most accurate barrels. May be a fluke, but it works. I have other anderson parts among other projects. The only Anderson product I’d avoid is their LPKs. I also have some BA barrels that work well too, the finish is real nice on the BA barrels.
Old November 22, 2018, 11:56 PM   #13
armoredman

I did get the BCA barrel down to 1 inch at 50 yards with good loads. I have another on the way from the Veterans Day giveaway from Bear Creek for the next build, and we'll see how that one does.
Old November 23, 2018, 11:03 AM   #14
MagnumWill

Quote:
Those BCA barrels seem to be hit or miss when it comes to accuracy.
...was that intended to be a fantastic pun...?
Old November 23, 2018, 11:29 AM   #15
BumbleBug

WOW! BCA for $48. It may surprise you....

You can't lose much on that deal!
Old November 23, 2018, 12:16 PM   #16
MarkCO

For a "beater" or "truck gun" the only barrels I would consider would be melonited. Nitride, QPQ, all the same really. I think the one you got would be a great choice for your purposes.
Old November 24, 2018, 06:17 PM   #17
stagpanther

Very tough choice--I'd probably pass on both.
Old November 24, 2018, 09:31 PM   #18
MagnumWill

Currently have a BCA 9mm 7.5" heavy barrel, got it for $69. I have no regrets so far, it's had almost 1,000 rounds through it.
Old November 27, 2018, 05:41 PM   #19
Skans

Out of those two barrels, I'd opt for the $48 barrel. You won't ware it out, but if you do, then you can invest another $48 for another barrel.
Old November 27, 2018, 07:22 PM   #20
rickyrick

You could get 4 of the barrels, and I bet you might get one or two of them that will shoot as good as a $200 barrel.
While I consider myself to be a decent shooter, I don’t consider myself good enough to benefit from $150 difference in barrels. Or at least, be able to perceive the extra cost; in ARs specifically.
I’ve gambled on budget barrels and won... others may experience the same.
If we had this market when I built my first few, I wouldn’t have probably tried a budget barrel.
Old November 27, 2018, 09:01 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I’ve gambled on budget barrels and won... others may experience the same.
I've gambled on budget barrels, as well.
So far, only one has been decent - the aforementioned Anderson.
The rest weren't even acceptable as cow pie and tin can plinkers - they were garbage.

Higher end barrels? ...The only problems with any of them was a bad chamber (caused by an employee that had been let go before I even received the barrel). Even then, material and bore quality were still excellent; and the company made a replacement with some custom touches, and headspaced it to my bolt (not generic industry gauges).
Old November 27, 2018, 09:10 PM   #22
rickyrick

Well, my budget barrels were Anderson, I’d buy more in the future.
Old November 28, 2018, 12:30 AM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
Well, my budget barrels were Anderson, I’d buy more in the future.
I bought one of their budget Grendel barrels on a whim--it shoots "minute of OK for use as a tire iron."
Old November 28, 2018, 01:43 AM   #24
rickyrick

Seems a gamble with most budget barrels. Some not-so-budget barrel can be a gamble too.
Old November 28, 2018, 06:38 AM   #25
stagpanther

Quote:
Seems a gamble with most budget barrels. Some not-so-budget barrel can be a gamble too.
I've noticed that in general the "better" barrels are usually only 100 to 200 dollars more unless you're looking for a comp space gun grade barrel. The people that make them are also far more inclined, usually, to stand behind them to make you happy. I like being able to get on the phone with someone like McGowen and have a barrel cut exactly the way I want--even if that means "stop the presses" from a production run to do a one-off profile.

In the bigger scheme of things, it really depends on how much the extra accuracy and reliability is worth to you. If you simply need a SD spray gun for shorter ranges--then the extra accuracy probably isn't a factor. If you're an OCD reloading hobbiest like me--then probably you want something that will deliver better accuracy. Couple of hundred extra bucks is nothing compared to piles of wasted ammo trying to figure out what does or does not make your barrel happy.