The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2008, 04:22 AM   #1
I20N3Y

mauser kar98 help

Hi,
I bought a mauser recently and my friend hand loaded a round for me in 8mm mauser and i was able to load/chamber/barrel it, but every other round (8mm JRS/7.9|FS) i've bought, i cannot pull the bolt down, it seems these rounds are TOO long. is it possible my bore is .318 and i need to "slug" it? I have been researching like crazy and i would love some help, thanks! I want to know how to fix this, rebarrel, rechamber? so lost.
Old December 23, 2008, 01:05 PM   #2
F. Guffey

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauser98k/index.asp

http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserkar98a/index.asp

120N3Y, .318 ? .323 ?, it is made difficult when the designation 'R' is added to identify a cartridge, for me the 'R' means the case has a rim or the 'R' does does not belong. Unless the rifle was made before 1905 the rifle is chambered in 8X57, bore .311 + as much as .005, the lands are .323 + a few.

As to 'every other round' to mean one will, one will not, or the only rounds that will chamber are the hand loads and all other will not, I need help on that.

You said nothing about shooting the ammo that chambered, if the ammo chambered and the bullets were .323 (8MM), in a .318 barrel, the bullets would be tight in the throat and would have pulled the bullet from the case when extracted, if the ammo loaded for you had .318 bullets chambering would not be difficult, the case dimensions of both the 8MM .323 and .318 are identical except the diameter of the case neck and bullet diameter.

I made a set of gages for a Mauser collector in Northern Alabama, I made them in .318 because he had both type of rifles, after checking all of his rifles, he 'hung 2 on THE wall' both had .018 thousands head space +, he was more than pleased with the rest of the results. I made the effort because the smiths in his area did not want to go to the expense of purchasing another gage to test two rifles??

All? 98s were re barreled to .311+/.323 in about 1905, older rifles before 1898 were said to have been throat-ed for the .323, and nothing was done to the bore/lands, with an action that is older than the 98 and a bore/land diameter of .311.318, if this is true, it would be dangerous to get into the habit of shooting 8X57 (.323) ammo, this could be a contributing factor in the excessive head space of the 2 rifles in Northern Alabama, but at the time the rifles were 110 years old.

F. Guffey
Old December 24, 2008, 11:50 AM   #3
amamnn

Have you tried shooting any factory made ammo in the gun? Chances are good that your friend has his equipment set up to size cases for his chamber and they will not always work in yours--or he has not trimmed cases or-- a lot of other things.

Personally, I would never ever make ammo for anyone else, or use anyone else's handloads. I think you will find the vast majority of experienced handloaders agree.
Old December 25, 2008, 03:43 PM   #4
Aforland

I have a question I ran across a 8x57mr it looked like a M-44 russan.. it was missing the bolt. and the stock liked like hell but the rifleing looked damn good..

Tags
8mm , mauser