The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2004, 07:39 PM   #1
sceva

recoil spring guide questions- colt 380 Gov't

I have a Stainless Colt .380 Government and have a few questions about the recoil spring guide.
1.. Seems to work fine with the stock plastic guide. Is there a real advantage to replacing it with a steel or aluminum guide?
2.. Regarding the Scott McDougal type full length guide. A real advantage or not? I can make myself one at work if I had dimensions, could someone with a good dial caliper tell me an accurate overall length and the diameter of the part the spring goes over ( I think it is 0.225 - 0.230 dia. length ?? )

Thanks Sceva
Old December 4, 2004, 08:39 PM   #2
michael t

My mustang was made 1990 and has always had the plastic guide. Now I don't shoot 10000 rounds a year thru it more like 200. Ive never had any trouble, I think a lot of people change to change. Surely the enginers at Colt know a little something,perhaps even more than us or the gunsmith.
Who after all really is trying to make a living and sometimes sells us something we really don't need.