The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2007, 07:24 PM   #1
millers5285

Tightening Lee Dies in the Turret

What is the best way to get Lee dies tightened in the turret? It seems like the rubber o-ring makes it harder than hell to turn the nut tight. Can I do without the o-ring?
Old February 5, 2007, 07:32 PM   #2
mjrodney

They really don't need to be tight. Snug is more the word.
Old February 5, 2007, 08:03 PM   #3
wild willy

I put other lock rings on them I have good luck with Lee tools but I don't like his lockrings
Old February 5, 2007, 08:17 PM   #4
rwilson452

rings

With the rings in place they don't need to be all that tight. You can snug it up a bit with a wrench but I just use my fingers. If you take out the O-rings you will need to use a wrench.

Tightening Lee Dies in the Turret
What is the best way to get Lee dies tightened in the turret? It seems like the rubber o-ring makes it harder than hell to turn the nut tight. Can I do without the o-ring?
millers5285 is online now Report Post
Old February 5, 2007, 11:23 PM   #5
benedict1

It helps to lube the rings -- I use a drop or two of 30 W motor oil, the same stuff I use to lube the ram and linkage on my Classic Turret Press and Load Master. They will turn easier. They do not have to be tight! Just snug. The oil on the ring/die makes it a whole lot easier.

Some guys dispense with the O-rings and tighten with a wrench but I find this to be a nuisance, especially when setting up dies and I'm adjusting them and want to keep moving them to get things right.
Old February 6, 2007, 01:10 AM   #6
Crosshair

I agree with wild willy. Lee dies are wonderfull, but the lock rings are horrible and vastly inferior to the RCBS lock rings. I bought 15 RCBS lock rings and use them on all the "important" dies that benifit from using an actual lock ring like seating dies, carbide sizers, neck sizing die, etc.
Old February 6, 2007, 01:38 AM   #7
MrApathy

I keep the orings on and tighten with a trench. doesnt take much tightening. tightening by hand has worked great and is easier for adjusting if needed. if no adjusting is needed a short turn with a wrench will lock it down good requiring wrench to relock it.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes
Old February 6, 2007, 07:49 AM   #8
XD-Guy

Take the O-ring out, turn the lock nut up side down and tighten it up under the turret
Old February 6, 2007, 08:53 PM   #9
millers5285

I have an RCBS bullet puller die and really like the lock ring. I just ordered some for the Lee dies....thanks for all the replies.
Old February 7, 2007, 04:46 AM   #10
Zippy06

I use the snug theory. There is not, a lot of vibration, going on. I have never found them loose. And if I want to change something. It is a lot easier.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old February 7, 2007, 06:57 AM   #11
ECLIPSE45ACP

I lightly turn my down with a wrench, just to be sure they dont move. I change heads alot so I want to be sure they are not moving around in that process.

Last edited by ECLIPSE45ACP; February 7, 2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old February 7, 2007, 01:26 PM   #12
K96771

+1 Zippy06.
Old February 7, 2007, 01:44 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

The Lee lock nuts depend on ease of adjustment substituting for permanence of adjustment. This is demonstrated in their web site videos on die adjustment in single stage presses (fourth category down on that page). They run a sizing die down to touch the shell holder, withdraw the ram, then turn the die in slightly further, then run the ram back up to trap the die while they snug down the nut against its O-ring. The snug adjustment will keep the die threads from turning, but you will have to redo this setup each time you put the die in. If you want a permanent adjustment, you will need to use solid metal rings with a set screw that locks them in place on the die.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 7, 2007, 07:46 PM   #14
amamnn

I just followed the Lee directions and had no problems. I've been using some of the same dies in the same turrets for years; they've never come loose. I never oiled them; the idea of the rubber ring is to keep things from slipping.
Old February 8, 2007, 07:48 AM   #15
rogn

lee reference

I just use a reference mark on the die and a mark on the press, the die is set up once and a reference established and future use the die is set to the reference marks. The lock nut only keeps it from moving around; just snug. Very simple and no problems.