The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old October 24, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
BJEoutdoors

Which .22-250 bullet for deer?

First gun hunt of the year for me this weekend and I am a little unprepared. Ran out of shells for my .270 and it needs to be resighted in.
So, this weekend I am just gonna go with my .22-250. I either have winchester 45 grain JHP's (.4625 @140 yrds) or some soft point 55s (handloads). Just wondering what you guys think I should go with for deer. Thanks, Ben
Old October 24, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to be sure without specific brand names on the 55s but it is unlikely that either of those bullet is an appropriate choice for general deer hunting. Smaller deer, perfect shots, well placed, maybe but not something I'd recommend to someone who's skill and hunting ethics choices are completely unknown to me.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:45 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

A very poor choice for deer hunting. It sounds like you don't care enough to prepare for the hunt. I'd suggest you sit this one out until you're ready. If it was important enough to you, you'd be ready for it. You have a responsibility as an ethical hunter to use the right gun and bullet. In this case you don't have the right equipment.
Old October 24, 2013, 03:51 PM   #4
SL1

Nosler 60 grain partitions are probably the best choice for small deer.

But, you seem intent on using what you have. In that case, the heavier bullet seems likely to work better than the light one, especially since the light one seems to have been designed for rapid expansion.

Perhaps loading-down the 22-250 would help keep the bullet from blowing apart on the surface and just wounding the deer. At least you should try the bullet and load in wet newsprint before aiming at an animal with it. That way you will have some idea about what shots to NOT take.

SL1
Old October 24, 2013, 03:53 PM   #5
AllenJ

If it were me I beg and/or borrow some rounds for the 270 and get sighted in. I'm not a huge fan of 22 caliber weapons on deer sized animals as most bullets manufactured for them are made for varmints, not big game. Without knowing more about your 55 grain bullets I just don't think it's worth chancing a wounded or lost animal.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Ruger480

Are you sure that a 22 caliber rifle is legal in your state for hunting? A lot of states have a minimum caliber requirement for deer.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
BJEoutdoors

Thanks guys, sorry I don't have any more info on the 55s except they are fairly hot. Not sure of bullet brand either. I know that sounds kinda dumb but my uncle loaded them for me and I just don't know. And yes, I would much rather shoot my .270, but I don't know if I can possibly get to the store. Also, I worded that wrong about the .270 not being sighted in. It was shoot moa groups(at 100) and when I shot they other day I got a 4" to 5" 5 shot group at 140. Suggestions?
Old October 24, 2013, 04:27 PM   #8
BJEoutdoors

And yes, it is legal where I live.(Tennessee). Here we are allowed to use any centerfire rifle.
Old October 24, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9
NoSecondBest

Can you borrow a gun from someone? I understand your desire to go hunting, I love to hunt myself. I'd rather use a 270 that shot 4" groups at 140yds than a 22 caliber that shoots one ragged hole at 100yds. My first choice though would be to see if I could borrow a larger caliber that shoots decent and use it. Any of your friends have a gun they aren't using?
Old October 24, 2013, 04:45 PM   #10
BJEoutdoors

The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to go with the .270. It is a Marlin XL7 and even though it was cheap, I was always pleased about how well it shot, which is why when I bought my 250, I got a marlin. It was clean when I shot it, and the scope seems to be fine. I just don't get how it goes from 1" groups last year to 5 times that this year in the same box of shells. I can probably get one of dads guns but I would rather get mine in working order. Any ideas on what the problem might be. I shot Win. power max bonded 130 grain.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:22 PM   #11
AllenJ

The first thing to check is every screw, bolt and nut to make sure they're tight. Next I would check to make sure that the stock did not somehow warp by running a dollar bill between the barrel and stock. If everything listed checks out, I would start to wonder about the scope itself. Do you have another you can put on the gun and try?

Quick edit here: Most days I feel I shoot pretty well but every now and then, for whatever reason, I have trouble getting good groups. It is easy on those days to blame the gun or scope but either another trip to the range or my shooting partner proves that theory wrong. Are you the only person who has shot the gun this year?

Last edited by AllenJ; October 24, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old October 24, 2013, 06:03 PM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
A very poor choice for deer hunting. It sounds like you don't care enough to prepare for the hunt. I'd suggest you sit this one out until you're ready. If it was important enough to you, you'd be ready for it. You have a responsibility as an ethical hunter to use the right gun and bullet. In this case you don't have the right equipment.
Instead of taking the guy to task and just expressing your opinion, why do you not make a point-by-point logical thesis and perhaps we can all learn something.
Old October 24, 2013, 06:08 PM   #13
NoSecondBest

Quote:
Instead of taking the guy to task and just expressing your opinion, why do you not make a point-by-point logical thesis and perhaps we can all learn something.
Read my second post on the subject. I offered some alternatives to his situation. If you have some comments for me, use the PM function. I simply did not want him out shooting deer with a sub-standard round for the task.
Old October 24, 2013, 07:17 PM   #14
steveNChunter

Not an ideal setup but 55 gr soft points in a .22-250 will do the job with a head or neck shot, maybe even a ribcage shot at the lungs

But if there's any way you can get that .270 going in time it would be much better.

In the future if you can get your uncle to load a 53 or 55 gr Barnes TSX for that .22-250 it will make a fine "hit it square in the shoulder" deer load
Old October 25, 2013, 04:00 PM   #15
dahermit

Quote:
Read my second post on the subject. I offered some alternatives to his situation.
Why would he need an alternative?

Quote:
If you have some comments for me, use the PM function.
I would if this was Facebook ( a social sight), but this is a forum where people exchange ideas and debate. Well, some of us anyway...others just post bumper sticker statements that they do not have to defend. For instance: "The German Mauser had left-hand rifling to compensate for the rotation of the earth." I will not defend that statement, just pm if you have any comments.

Quote:
I simply did not want him out shooting deer with a sub-standard round for the task.
When did the Supreme Court rule that the .22-250 is sub-standard for the task? Or, is it just personal opinion? But, based on what? What magical knowledge do you possess that no one else has and you refuse to share? I am very curious to know how large a caliber one must have before it becomes "standard" (AKA, suitable/adequate), for deer. You are not from Delphi are you?
Old October 25, 2013, 04:27 PM   #16
jimbob86

Quote:
Why would he need an alternative?
Because lightly constructed bullets at 22-250 speeds are likely to make a mess of things they hit, but not penetrate deeply. Neither of the loads mentioned, particularly the 45gr HP, are "contolled expansion" bullets, and they don't have the mass to resist blowing up at the velocities a .22-250 delivers with them ...... to reliably kill the deer, vital organs need to be damaged ..... and since all of these organs are behind at least an inch or two of skin, flesh and possibly bone, these bullets are not a good choice for that. The chance of wounding the animal and losing it are good.

IMO, the OP could go out anget a box of factory ammo, and should be able sight it in with 3 groups of 3 shots ...... It's not that hard .... if you have access to a bench and a gun cleaning vise or a led sled, a rough boresight can be done with a borelight and a dark room ........

Last edited by jimbob86; October 25, 2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 07:26 PM   #17
snuffy

Quote:
When did the Supreme Court rule that the .22-250 is sub-standard for the task? Or, is it just personal opinion? But, based on what? What magical knowledge do you possess that no one else has and you refuse to share? I am very curious to know how large a caliber one must have before it becomes "standard" (AKA, suitable/adequate), for deer. You are not from Delphi are you?
You can defend the 22-250 for a deer round if you want, it won't magically make it be a good choice.

For one, they are usually a 1-12 or 1-14 twist .224 barrel. That's too slow for anything over 55 grains.

Secondly, he does not know the origin/ make of the 55 grain handloads. They could be speer TNT, or Hornady SX,(Super eXplosive). Both are extremely explosive thin jacketed varmint bullets. Hit a rib, those bullets will blow a 4" wide hole about an inch deep in the hide, maybe the deer would survive.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 25, 2013, 08:16 PM   #18
dahermit

Quote:
You can defend the 22-250 for a deer round if you want, it won't magically make it be a good choice.
Point out to me where I defended the 22-250 as a deer round. Did you miss the part where I asked him to tell us where the good choices start (power wise)?

Here is a little exercise. Please consider this list of common cartridges. Assuming a behind the shoulder (heat-lung), shot, where in the list (feel free to add any), would an acceptable minimum deer hunting cartridge would be. You must give a logical rationale for your choice...I do not want this to be about unsubstantiated opinions. I can get that in a bar.

Note: feel free to rearrange the order if you do not agree on relative power.

.22 LR
.22 Hornet
.218 Bee
.357 Mag
.41 Mag
.44 Mag.
.45 Colt
.45 ACP
22-250
.244/6MM
30-30/.32 Win. Spl.
.250 Sav.
.257 Roberts
6.5 Swed
7MM-08
7x57
.300 Sav.
.35 Rem
.444 Marlin
.358 Win.
.303 Brit.
.30-40 Krag
8MM Mauser
.270 Win.
30-06
7MM Mag.
.300 Mag.
8MM Mag.
45-70
.338 Mag.
.375 H&H
.458 Mag

My own observation is, I do not know what the minimum is, I have killed deer with a lot of those and know of those who have gotten acceptable results on deer using as mild of a cartridge as a .223. What I do know, is that there did not seem to be a difference in the killing power of with any of the deer I killed with any of the guns I used. The point I am trying to make is, the minimum effective deer cartridge is more of a nebulous "gut feeling" and speculation than being based on logic and actual data no matter how much a person thinks they know.

Last edited by dahermit; October 25, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:50 PM   #19
jimbob86

Quote:
When did the Supreme Court rule that the .22-250 is sub-standard for the task?
It's not the cartridge that is substandard, but the varmint weight bullets in conjunction with the high velocity of the cartridge that makes it ..... a bad combination.

With a a controlled expansion bullet (say, the 60 gr Nosler Partition or one of Barnes' X-bullets, if they will stabilize in the rifle in question- entirely possible that they may not, as most 22-250's have a 1in14" twist for varmit weight bullets) there would not be a problem, so long as the rifle can me made to shoot them accurately..... but nobody can know that, as there is no time left to find out for sure-

Quote:
First gun hunt of the year for me this weekend and I am a little unprepared. Ran out of shells for my .270 and it needs to be resighted in.
Tomorrow is Saturday. Time's Up.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:51 PM   #20
dahermit

Quote:
Because lightly constructed bullets at 22-250 speeds are likely to make a mess of things they hit, but not penetrate deeply.
How thick and tough is the area of the ribs behind the deer's shoulder? Is it sufficiently tough enough to stop a .223 bullet and keep it from hitting the heart/lungs? I have examined that area on many deer...it seemed to me to be 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch at the most. In that light, I can show you my steel plate target where I have quarter-sized pock marks made by my .22 Hornet...I have no doubt my .22 Hornet would shoot through the toughest of Whitetail ribs. Note: I have not shot any deer with my .22 Hornet...just relating what it did to a mild steel plate.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:54 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Which .22-250 bullet for deer?

Barnes doesn't make the 50, 55 and 62gr TTSX so you can shoot rabbits.
Old October 25, 2013, 08:56 PM   #22
LOUD

22-250 is not the correct round for the critter , you just gonna wound a bunch of animals, Get some, 270 get sighted, get hunting..........LOUD.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:01 PM   #23
dahermit

Quote:
It's not the cartridge that is substandard, but the varmint weight bullets in conjunction with the high velocity of the cartridge that makes it ..... a bad combination.
I used a 6MM Remington with a Hornady 87 grain varmint bullet to take many deer although conventional wisdom was that those 87 grainers being of varmint weight (and construction), coupled with the high velocity of the 6MM Remington, would make it a bad combination ("blow up"). Nevertheless, it killed very well, consistently. Also, those who use the .223 on deer do not report problems with .224 bullets...are you suggesting that the .22-250 would have better performance if it were to be down loaded? As thin as a deer is in the rib area, does varmint weight bullets make any difference? It did not in the case of my 6MM.
Old October 25, 2013, 09:05 PM   #24
dahermit

Quote:
22-250 is not the correct round for the critter , you just gonna wound a bunch of animals, Get some, 270 get sighted, get hunting.
And your rationale is?
Old October 25, 2013, 09:16 PM   #25
SVTCobra306

Choose the 55 gr SP's over the 45 grain HP's since that is what you have. If you have the opportunity, find some factory soft point loads, Winchester Super X (gray box) is a good choice for a factory load, Hornady makes some also that would work well.

I know a lot of people in the south where I was stationed who used .223 for deer.. the one time I went, I used my trusty 22-250. Worked like a champ
Closed Thread

Tags
.22-250 , 45 grain , 55 grain , bullet , deer