The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old June 5, 2013, 06:36 AM   #1
Talybama

Shooting party instead of a bachelor party.

My fiance and I aren't big partiers. We are wanting to have a "shooting" party instead of a traditional bachelor/bachelorette party. Almost all of my friends and family involved in the wedding are gun enthusiasts. We are thinking about shooting some skeet and getting some reactive targets just for more fun than shooting silhouettes. Any tips on setting up an outdoor range for this. Luckily I work for the local sheriff's office and can get access to our outdoor range whenever I want, and I'm guessing there will be at least a few leos out there. I'm wanting everyone to have a good time but mainly for everyone to be safe. Tips? Suggestions?
Old June 5, 2013, 12:06 PM   #2
pturner67

Yeah, I have a suggestion. Invite me!!

Seriously, though, that sounds like a lot of fun. Are you going to do Tannerite? You may also want to do a few contests (bullseye, etc).

Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.
Old June 5, 2013, 10:13 PM   #3
kilimanjaro

First suggestion : No booze.
Old June 5, 2013, 10:20 PM   #4
Rebel9793

Sounds like an interesting time that's for sure. As mentioned above I would do a few contest of the sort. Men vs Women, See who can shoot as many soda cans the fastest, bulls-eye, etc. Balloons are always fun to shoot too...and cheap! Either way hope all goes well an Congratulations!
Old June 6, 2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Talybama

Love the contest idea!! We have been looking at the I think they are called rifle race targets. They look like a lot of fun. And we are going to try and get some tannerite if I can find some that isn't going to break the bank. I never thought about balloons! That's a great idea too!!
Old June 6, 2013, 03:05 AM   #6
JimmyR

1) Congratulations!

2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimanjaro
First suggestion : No booze.
What he said.

3) Using non-traditional targets can be fun, just make sure you pick targets that will either be biodegradable or easy to clean up, especially if the range is work related.
Old June 6, 2013, 11:52 AM   #7
bravoguns

Sounds like fun but I agree with what Kilimanjaro said. No booze! Atleast till after the guns are put away and you are off the range.

Safety brief of some sort and maybe designate a few safety officers. Take turns switching out so everyone can be in on the fun.

I might suggest having some timed events. Set up a course of fire and see who has the fastest time.

Incorporate different targets such as baloons, clay pigeons, soda cans filled with water. Place them at different distances. Shoot a relay with pistols then run another relay with rifles and time each person. The options are endless.

The number one priority is SAFETY! Then have fun! If you're on public land be sure to clean everything up.

Good luck stay safe and have fun!
Old June 7, 2013, 08:47 AM   #8
mxsailor803

Makes me wish I had more friends where I was living when I had my bachelor party lol.
Old June 7, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
Pathfinder45

In stead of a bachelor party......

First of all, you have a great idea. I went to a bachelor party once. Once was enough. A shooting event is a lot more wholesome. I'm not real big on timed events unless all participants are experienced enough that safety wouldn't be compromised for speed's sake. One of my favorite targets is a milk jug filled with water. When hit with a high velocity soft point they are fairly explosive yet easy to clean up. If you have some participants that are inexperienced, try to have some events where sheer luck will readily trump the most skillful. Or you can handicap the better shooters. Prizes for skill and even more prizes for luck. The point is for everyone to have a great time. Like Scotch Doubles where the all-stars can't dominate the game. Remember that too much competition becomes anti-social. Have an excellent time and let us know how it all pans out.
Old June 8, 2013, 11:32 AM   #10
dalegribble

sounds fun! maybe some organized games or shooting events. maybe some prizes (box of ammo, cleaning kit, etc) or cash to the winners. maybe all chip in on a commerative gun for the groom. maybe some chicken wings and a few beers after the shooting is done. good idea!
Old June 13, 2013, 12:16 AM   #11
Poindexter

My bachelor party was a trip to the range. Couple of the guys on my side of the church were under 21, I am not really a strip joint kind of guy anyway, it worked well for me.

Besides no booze and not too much competition (both great ideas), I would add: 1)someone designated to clean the groom's guns during the honeymoon
2) bring lots of different guns so everyone can find something interesting to shoot.

My front stuffer single shot black powder pistol turned out to be the most popular gun at the party - therefore my point number one above.
Old June 13, 2013, 12:44 AM   #12
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
Besides no booze and not too much competition (both great ideas), I would add: 1)someone designated to clean the bride's and groom's guns during the honeymoon
FTFY

That sounds like a job for the best man, to me...
Old June 14, 2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Justice06RR

I shoot at a friend's private property so we have free reign on what we can shoot. We shoot all sorts of targets, from paper, bottles, cans, old electronic devices, steel targets, etc.
Depending on what is allowed on the range that you use, here are some suggestions:

1. Do some sort of competition with both long guns and pistols. A good challenge for paper targets is like playing knockout. Basically each shooter gets one shot and whoever is the closest to the center wins. You can do this individually, in teams, guys vs girls, etc. You get the point.
Another idea with handguns is, you can try long distance shots with pistols i.e. 50yards or more. You can use paper plates instead of traditional targets too (its cheaper!). For example, set up paper plate targets at 50yards, let each shooter shoot 10rounds from a handgun, then count who has the most hits on the plate.

2. If allowed on your range, shooting bottles filled with water is fun. Set up a few bottles at different distances on a rack or on the ground. Have each person shoot the same number of rounds and whoever shoots the most bottles wins.
If possible use plastic bottles (water bottles, 2liter soda bottles, etc). We normally use glass bottles of different sizes at my friend's property, but be careful with broken glass.

3. Balloons and other exploding targets like eggs and fruits are another option if allowed on the range.

4. Clay shooting with shotguns are usually a lot of fun. You can use steady clay target holders, or clay thrower if available.

5. Steel targets are the norm for most ranges. The farther the better of course. Set up some competition rules like Iron sights only, different shooting positions (prone, kneeling, bench, etc).

As always, clean up after yourselves, have fun, and follow all safety rules. You may not be able to do some of the things I suggested, so use common sense and do what is allowed by the range.
Congrats to you guys!
Old June 14, 2013, 08:36 PM   #14
David13

There are definitely outdoor ranges here where you could rent your private range for just such a day long party.
Just like renting a hall for any type of party.
In your area you can find ranges that rent private ranges at wheretoshoot.org.
You put in your zip code and they will give you all ranges within a certain radius.
I know we frequently (monthly) go for the private ranges here just for the fun of it (no marriage required).
dc
Old June 15, 2013, 01:19 AM   #15
Talybama

One of the nice bonuses of my working for the sheriff's office is we have free run of the range. Some of the deputies are notorious for blowing up old tv's and microwaves with tannerite. Lol It's just a big open area with some target stands with distance markers for hand guns, also a very tall berm(sp?). As long as we let the SO know what's going on we can literally shoot whatever we want...as long as we clean it up obviously. I like the distance idea. We 've talked to our friends and family and it sounds like it could look like a gun show! Lol
Old June 16, 2013, 09:23 AM   #16
Famas

I think it sounds like a really fun idea, provided some extra safety protocols are in place especially considering some guests may not be so familiar with firearms, if at all.

My biggest concern would be cost, given the dramatic rise in ammo prices. Despite the increased price, an all-.22 shooting party would still seem viable. About 5-6 bricks would be enough fun for a party of 10-15 people (200 rounds each), and keeping it around the $450-$500 range. Any larger calibers would be too costly.
Old June 17, 2013, 08:41 PM   #17
FrosSsT

Cheap RC cars with helium filled balloons tied to them. When your out of balloons light up the RC car while it trys to make a getaway
Old June 17, 2013, 09:55 PM   #18
dewcrew8

I think theres a big full auto shoot coming up some time soon down there? Just go to it and have some fun!
Old June 18, 2013, 02:54 AM   #19
Talybama

Full auto shoot?!?!? Where?! When?!? Lol

About the ammo issues... we've been sort of planning for this for a while, so weve been buying a lot of stuff in bulk, 9mm and 223 mainly. I haven't been able to find any 22 though.
Old June 18, 2013, 03:16 AM   #20
JimmyR

There better be some pics of this party....

As for finding .22 ammo, ask around, and find out when your big box store gets it's shipments. My local Bass Pro Shop was getting it in, and giving numbers 2.5 hours before they opened for ammo purchases. It was a pain, but I was able to get 325 rd blocks of 22 for $18 each.
Old June 18, 2013, 09:20 AM   #21
ChrisJ715

Congrats man, and that party sounds like a lot of fun.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #22
dewcrew8

The full auto shoot is this weekend and you can get more info at http://www.oklahomafullauto.com/
Old June 19, 2013, 03:32 AM   #23
Talybama

Ah man!! Too bad I've got plans this weekend! I wonder if my kiddo would mind skipping his t ball tourney? lol
Old November 12, 2013, 06:09 AM   #24
Rick_A

On the pure luck side of things I'd suggest something along the lines of Russian rulette but aiming at some sort of reactive target. Watermelon pumpkin whatever. Probly at a close distance so even the most experience could hit it. Everyone gets one trigger pull but the cylinder gets spun after each get to keep things fair.

Think you'd get a fair bit of exciting build up waiting for the actual shot to happen. Best of luck and congrats

Just saw that this is a bit old but hey maybe you haven't had the party yet lol
Old November 12, 2013, 10:20 AM   #25
g.willikers

Make some hangers, from thin rod, (in the shape of a horseshoe) and stick in the ground.
From those, hang bowling pins or thick pieces of wood, (2x4s) about a foot long.
Cheap and effective reactive targets that don't need resetting.