The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 30, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
imabmwnut

Rossi 972

I took my new Rossi 972 to the range today to see how it would shoot. It was rainy and a little cold but I was determined to shoot it. From 7 yards it is spot on with 38s. At 50 ft it was a little low and to the left. Still kill shots so I'm quite happy with the gun. I'm a mechanic by trade so everything I have is a tool. This gun will get shot, drug out in the woods,and will probably get abused some. I don't really call myself a pistol shot but hand me a long gun and look out. Out of all the pistols I have I seem to shoot a little Markarov the best.Kinda heartbreaking seeing how I own H&K,Sig,Ruger and Browning pistols.
Old March 30, 2013, 07:36 PM   #2
shouldazagged

The only Rossi I ever owned, a Model 87 clone of the Smith Model 60, was a nice little gun--not quite S&W quality, of course, but surprisingly well made, dependable and as accurate as I can shoot a snubby. Served me well till I could afford the J-frame I've carried for going on thirteen years.

I'm not sure why so many people bad-mouth Rossi guns because they're relatively inexpensive. The few people I know who've owned them were well satisfied with value for the buck.
Old March 31, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Gdawgs

I have a 461 and my dad has the 972. I love them. I've shot mine a lot and never had any issues with it. They are both great shooters. The single action trigger pull is beautiful on both. Double action is heavy, but smooth.

My wife (who doen't shoot very often, maybe 2 or 3 times/yr) shot this target freehand from about 17 yds with my snubby.