The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 9, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
lilniccolo

Need Help! Identifying an old .22 revolver "hunter model”

I recently acquired an old revolver from a friend. I liked the way it looked but I cannot seem to find an exact match anywhere. The only markings on the gun are “hunter model” stamped on the top of the gun and the serial number on the inside of the handle. I will try to upload some pics. I have seen the “hunter model” listed as a gun made by H&M but they had 10 inch barrels and they are not round. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

I am curious about the markings around the barrel as pictured.

Last edited by lilniccolo; October 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Add photos
Old October 9, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Winchester_73

Looks to be a Harrington and Richardson aka H&R to me. I would say Hunter Model could be a store brand gun or model name that H&R made for someone else, which explains the lack of a H&R address or any other H&R markings.
Old October 9, 2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Venom1956

Dang! Win beat me to it,

Definitely an H&R.

Are you sure its a .22? That looks much to large.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug

Last edited by Venom1956; October 9, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 07:28 PM   #4
Daggitt

That's the biggest bore 22 I have ever seen !
Old October 9, 2012, 07:41 PM   #5
Winchester_73

The clue that the gun is most likely not a 32 or something bigger than a 22 is the fact that its 7 shot. These pictures appear blown up / not 1:1 in size. To my knowledge, H&R never made a 7 shot 32 S&W short in a solid frame revolver. I believe the actual gun in the photograph is much smaller in all ways.

Its also not 30 rim (obsolete by then). 22 WRF would appear larger than 22lr, but I think the pics are blown up some somehow.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:01 AM   #6
Venom1956

I think Win is right. Its an illusion. Look how small the cylinder is compared to the trigger guard! man that's a small gun!
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 10, 2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Rainbow Demon

They used to sell a .22 pistol identical to this by mail order with advertisements in the back of magazines. These were dirt cheap, and no manufacturers name was mentioned.
I ordered one but my money order was returned a few weeks later with a note saying they could no longer garantee delivery.

I have a relic break top .38 without the cylinder that has the same sort of stamping on the top strap. Near as I can tell its a Spanish made copy.

This may be a foreign made copy or it may be a pistol sold through a hardware store chain, much like the Sears marked rifles manufacturered by name brand companies.
Old October 10, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
PetahW

IMO, the marks around the back of the barrel look like someone had at it with a pipe/monkey wrench.

Old October 11, 2012, 09:35 PM   #9
lilniccolo

This is all great information! It is def a .22 and the gun is very small. The "hunter model" was only made in .22. What was throwing me off is that the hunter model came in a 10 inch barrel, this is obviously much smaller than that. I took pics with the measuring tape to give an idea of the overall size. The marks on the barrel may have been from replacing the orig barrel then. That would make sense to me. I really do appreciate the info everyone!
Old October 11, 2012, 10:26 PM   #10
sils79

Google led me here

a 2 incher
Old October 11, 2012, 10:35 PM   #11
jimbob86

I asked this same question awhile back. I have this same gun..... the reason it looks bigger than a .22 is that the gun itself is SO tiny (cylinder is 1") .... see pics in this thread:

It's an H&R model 922.

Tags
.22 , gun , hunter model , identify , revolver