The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2013, 11:12 PM   #51
snuffy

This has been on other forums, I got it from a search on TFL, here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

Notice how little rotation those bullets have. Also notice how some of those rifle bullets that do not penetrate the steel plates, tend to split along the lines of the rifling. Those are jacketed bullets, not plated. Meaning the jackets are thicker and are weakened by the rifling.

Paw-paw, you'll have a tough time convincing me that a cast boolit will disintegrate in flite. There just isn't enough rotational force, call it centrifugal force. There's been a lot of work/experiments done about over-stabilization of some bullets, but I never heard of them breaking up in flite.

I know for a fact that the Hornady SX 55 grain .223 bullets DO blow up in flite, I saw it happen in my 22-250. I knew of the problem, was well under the velocity limit. Looked like a smoke trail on the way to the target!

The former west coast plated, now called extreme, claim to be thicker plated and all double struck. I've used many thousands of them, now I'm using the berry's 115 rn in my nines.The berry's shoot very well for me, I really don't care what the plating thickness is.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 11, 2013, 05:26 AM   #52
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
Paw-paw, you'll have a tough time convincing me that a cast boolit will disintegrate in flite. There just isn't enough rotational force, call it centrifugal force. There's been a lot of work/experiments done about over-stabilization of some bullets, but I never heard of them breaking up in flite.
Not trying to convince you. Simply telling you what I've observed. Bullets come apart in flight when the rotational velocity exceeds the ability of the bullet to stand it. Do they 'explode'? I don't know, they may simply lose a driving band, get unbalanced and move far enough away from the flight path enough that we don't know where they went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy
I know for a fact that the Hornady SX 55 grain .223 bullets DO blow up in flite, I saw it happen in my 22-250. I knew of the problem, was well under the velocity limit. Looked like a smoke trail on the way to the target!
Oh, look! There's another guy telling us that bullets might come apart in flight.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 11, 2013, 08:35 AM   #53
polyphemus

cutaway image

Do you have a way to measure the plating and jacket thickness?
Thank you
Old September 11, 2013, 08:48 AM   #54
snuffy

Quote:
I am wanting to start up a custom bullet manufacturing company. It would make solid lead and jacketed bullets at any weight using any legal metal material (No depleted uranium). It will start small with one or two sizes of caliber.
Since you're from MO., you might want to stop by Missouri bullet company, talk to Brad, (the owner), maybe see if you could get a tour of his shop. He may be so busy he couldn't take the time out for a tour! Just don't tell him you'd be a competitor, to his business! But he's a nice guy, he'd still give you a look around. You'd most likely find out the federal reg's, state licenses, taxes. There's a lot more to it than simply making bullets.

FFL type 06 is the basic requirement. Gazillions of product liability insurance that's very expensive and hard to find, to name a few.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #55
madmo44mag

Let me start by saying outstanding pictures!!!!!
OK for what it is worth.
I have been using plated bullets since they became available.
I do love them.
I shoot a lot of 44mag plated and crimp is an issue.
When I first started shooting these in 44mag I was able to recover the bullets and that allowed me to learn how to use a very light roll crimp as well as a tapper crimp on them.
I have also pushed them to the point of stripping the plating.
The plating start to fail at the 2250 fps range with most plated bullets I’ve shot.
Typically I load in the 850 fps range in 44 mag.
Using a rolled crimp is tricky.
You need just enough roll to hold the bullet but not so much to cut the plating and cause the back halve of the plating to strip off traveling down the barrel.
I have never seen the plating cut through by the rifling in the barrel as long as the bullet was not over crimped.
If over crimp; it will cause some stripping of the plating towards the base of the bullet.