The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 26, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Patriot86

I think I fell in love...with a S&W 1911...but maybe she's broken..help!

You ever just see a gun and BAM you just can't take your eyes off of it?
Well it happened to me today. I walked into the local Gander Mountain to kill some time between sales calls and they had this beautiful Commander Length S&W 1911PD with the Crimson Trace laser grips. All on sale for only $1,099.00.

(The same model as below)
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

The only reason I didn't walk out with the the S&W today(besides the Illinois 3 day waiting period) is the fact I was a bit concerned about the amount of "slop" in the trigger. You could easily move it about 1/16 of an inch side to side and maybe 1/32" up and down. I have held my fair share of 1911's before but never owned one, i don't seem to remember that much movement in the trigger. I'd rather not buy a gun that needs to be sent right off to the factory and wanted to get some thoughts on if that "movement" in the trigger is normal or if I should run away before the siren song pulls me in.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:06 PM   #2
Adamantium

My Dan Wesson 1911 has almost that much play, I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
Old March 26, 2012, 08:07 PM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Did this gun have an overtravel adjustment screw? It shouldn't, but sometimes does, cause slop if improperly tuned...
Old March 26, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
Patriot86

I didn't remember any adjustment screw, after Adamantium said that about his DW I am not so worried anymore.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Smit

Well just an FYI S&W have had a history of sloppy triggers in the 1911 models. My dad had one and the trigger became pretty sloppy after about 1,000 rounds or so. I would'nt worry about it now, just shoot it if you buy it and see how the trigger feels. You will know once you shoot it if there is indeed too much play. Did you notice any scratch marks on the trigger? This may be early indication of this.

With that said, I certainly would not let that detract any value from that gun as I have heard great things about them. I own an E Series myself and it's pretty sweet.

Also keep in mind S&W customer service is fantastic. I had an experience where i had to send a gun in and it came back quick and serviced very nicely.

Last edited by Smit; March 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Brian48

Every factory SW1911 I've picked up and handled has had a sloppy trigger. Annoying, but you won't notice it when you're shooting. This is so common, I'd say it's "normal" for SW1911s at this point.
Old March 27, 2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Patriot86

I think that 1911's just made it back to the top of my gun list...might be getting it tonight; need to talk myself out of the other gun I was looking at first but with some luck I will be a new 1911 owner by this time Friday(Damn 3 day waiting period!)
Old March 27, 2012, 12:48 PM   #8
Grant D

+1 On trigger movement on my Colt and SA 1911'S but both dead bang accurate. Ya..I hate the waiting period, it's about 5 mins. here!! LOL (with CHL)
Old March 27, 2012, 03:30 PM   #9
mukibetser

In have a SW 1911 Compact ES and it came with a sloppy trigger -- a lot of lateral side to side movement. It also had frequent failures to eject and had to take a trip back to S&W.
Old March 27, 2012, 04:56 PM   #10
KyJim

My DW CBOB has quite a bit of vertical slop in the trigger but it is very crisp. I never notice the slop when I shoot it. It's nothing to worry about.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:28 PM   #11
Ichiban

Triggers are pretty easy to replace.

Might I suggest http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...O-FLAT-TRIGGER

It dropped right into my 1911PD, the one that went into the E-series required a little light filing.
Old March 27, 2012, 07:36 PM   #12
Patriot86

I am going to get a 1911PD tomorrow, I talked myself out of the two or three other guns I had been looking at (RIP for now 92Inox and Mossberg 590A1). Now it comes down to if I should pay a little bit more for the one with the CT Grips. Both CT Grip and non CT grip models are in stock locally at what I would call fair prices. After talking to a couple of shops that did not have any in stock I guess S&W would be shipping orders placed today sometime in 2013? Yeah...time to get off my butt and buy something.

@Ichiban: I have never been a big fan of flat triggers, have held a few 1911's with them and I guess I could get used to it but It would not be my first choice. I will give the S&W factory trigger a good 500 rounds before I do anything.
Old March 27, 2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Adamantium

I wouldn't pay extra for CT grips, but thats me.
Old March 27, 2012, 09:47 PM   #14
KyJim

Quote:
Now it comes down to if I should pay a little bit more for the one with the CT Grips. Both CT Grip and non CT grip models are in stock locally at what I would call fair prices.
The utility of laser sights has been the topic of more than one thread here. It comes down to shooter choice. I have one revolver with a laser sight which is great for dry fire practice. I've never felt the need to put a laser sight on any of my other handguns. If you think you might want a laser sight, spring for the CTs. If you don't like it or use it, you could always sell the grips and get most of your money back I would imagine.
Old March 27, 2012, 10:21 PM   #15
shortwave

Agree with KyJim. CT's are a personal preference.

IMO, as well as being a great dry firing training tool it also helps me in developing muscle memory during double/triple tap live fire drills as far as seeing muzzle flip and re-acquiring the target faster.
Old March 28, 2012, 08:30 AM   #16
Patriot86

I have always wanted to own a gun with CT's, I must have been smoking something because I passed up on a brand new CZ75 with CT Laser Grips last year which only cost about $30.00 more than the standard model.
Like others have said, If I end up not liking them I can always sell them and actually end up getting more than the overage back.

In the local market it looks like I am only paying $160.00 more for the model with the CT than the model without. Considering it looks like on the low side LNIB can go for up to $200.00 I could actually end up making money.