The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2008, 02:18 PM   #1
meanmotorscooter

Best recoil reducing stock, pad, or both for Remington 870?

I just picked up my new 870 express with wood stocks on Saturday. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but I already got the itch to do something to it. What do you think the best recoil reducing solution is whether it's a recoil pad, a different stock like the Knoxx CompStock, or some combination like some other after market stock with an aftermarket recoil pad on it? I plan on shooting a lot of skeet and I also might want to introduce my wife to the sport without destroying her shoulder. Thanks.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:26 PM   #2
oletymer

A Gracoil, Bumpbuster, or Rad with a Limbsaver or Kickeez pad would do it. You would not look out of place on a clays field like you would with the Knox.
Old December 15, 2008, 02:29 PM   #3
meanmotorscooter

You think the compstock looks out of place? It's the full stock, not the tacticool one.

Old December 15, 2008, 02:41 PM   #4
fisherman66

My factory 870 pad is the best on any long arm I have. She's a pussycat with bird loads.

If you are itchin to blow some money on 'er go buy lots of ammo, clays and a thrower if you don't have access to one.
Old December 15, 2008, 03:23 PM   #5
chuckles

I have Comp-Stocks on 2 Mossberg A1s and an 870. They work great. better than a recoil pad. Of course they cost a bit more too.
Old December 15, 2008, 03:40 PM   #6
zippy13

From my own experience, my first recommendation would be an air cushion stock (I have a JS on my skeet O/U and a Shock Master on my trap combo) but, their prices are high for an 870. Have you looked into Remington's new SuperCell recoil pad?

Also, something as simple additional weight in the mag tube of a pump gun will smooth out its swing and ease kick. Easy and cheap: Fill one or two 12-ga hulls with shot, remove the mag cap, insert the weighted hull/s (brass forward), replace cap, and give it a try. If it feels too front heavy, reduce some mag weight and consider an in stock recoil reducer. There are units designed to fit the Remington wood stock's bolt hole.
Old December 15, 2008, 06:02 PM   #7
BigJimP

Just shoot it the way it is for now. Start with some light 1oz loads at 1150 fps - same for your wife / or even go with 7/8 oz loads at 1150 or 1200 fps if you can find some.

Adding weight to a gun like that isn't real easy - but if it beats you up with light loads - you probably need to adjust the height of the comb with a stick on "cheek pad". Adding weight will change the swing characteristics / and be a big recoil reducer. There should be room inside the stock for 8oz or so ( take off the recoil pad that's on the gun ) / you can replace the end cap and add some weight up forward - but whatever you do, try and keep the balance between your hands - so don't just weight the butt stock or it'll be tail heavy.
Old December 15, 2008, 09:37 PM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good advice so far.

Get some light loads. If you can find them, the 7/8 oz loads like Winchester's "Feather" loads are nigh optimum for use for new shooters.

Heck, I shoot 7/8 oz reloads most of the time and the non breaks are mine, not the ammo's.

DO get the gun fitted to your wife. Trust me on this.
Old December 15, 2008, 10:14 PM   #9
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McC
DO get the gun fitted to your wife. Trust me on this.
Isn't that graved in a stone tablet somewhere? If not, it should be!
Old December 15, 2008, 10:27 PM   #10
USA123456789

Don't buy anything really expensive yet.
If you put a couple hundred bucks into a 500 $ gun you cant shoot whats the point.
Go to your local gun shop and ask if they can order one for you.
I shoot 40k rds. a year through my browning xt with a piece of counter top and a kick-ez pad and thats it.
I would shoot at least 100 rds. through your gun before you make and alterations to the stock.

The counter top is a piece of chlorine or what ever it is that i made myself to fit the gun.

USA USA USA USA
Old December 15, 2008, 10:33 PM   #11
JonnyReb

I added a remington supercell pad to my 870 before a sept. goose hunt. The pad was about $30.00 from bass proshop and was of course made to fit a synthetic stocked 870. The wood stock takes a different size.

The result was amazing. I was shooting 3in. 12ga. hevishot goose loads and the recoil was never even noticed during our shoot. After, i checked for the inevitable bruise and found none. It makes a huge difference. J.R.
Old January 8, 2009, 10:50 AM   #12
meanmotorscooter

I ended up getting a walnut police stock with a limbsaver recoil pad off of gunbroker.
Old January 8, 2009, 01:16 PM   #13
zippy13

How's it working for you?
Old January 8, 2009, 01:20 PM   #14
meanmotorscooter

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I just put it on last night. I'll let you know when I do.
Old January 8, 2009, 02:41 PM   #15
Musketeer

#1 Get the thing cut to fit you. This should not be expensive but makes a big difference.

#2 Unless you wife has some shotgun experience please do not have her start out shooting trap/skeet with a 12 gauge 870. It will kick the snot out of her and keep her from wanting to try again. Rent one of the 20 gauge autoloaders they almost certainly have at the range for her.

She, like most new shooters, will almost certainly NOT pull the gun as firmly into their shoulder. That 870 will then kick like a mule, knock the snot out of her shoulder and cheekbone and ruin the experience. The concept of pulling that thing in tight rubs many people the wrong way. They think of it as leaning into a punch; why would you do that!?!? The 20 gauge autos are so light and smooth that a little sloppiness at first will not punish her and drive her away.

I like my 870 but I do not regularly shoot trap with it anymore because it does kick like a mule, even when held properly. It is a great gun for HD and fine for hunting but standing on the line putting 100 - 200 rounds through it becomes NOT FUN. Now I have an American Arms O/U cut to fit me which is much more comfortable to shoot with.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 8, 2009, 03:46 PM   #16
Smallgame2100

I didnt catch if it was a 20 or 12 gauge?
But if you needed a recoil pad, I assume its 12 gauge.

20 gauge barely has no kick, well to me anyway.
Old January 8, 2009, 07:41 PM   #17
meanmotorscooter

Yes it's a 12 gauge.