The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old April 14, 2008, 09:24 PM   #1
randyc74

Plated Lead vs Hardcast Lead for practice/competition

Hey guys
I checked all over this forum for an answer to my question(s) before posting these questions.
I'm brand new to the handgun competiton sports but not to shooting or reloading. I plan to enter a USPSA match next month. I plan on using my duty SA XD45. and shoot in either/or the Production/Limited10 classes.

I've been reloading Berrys plated 230gr. RN over 5.5 Grs. of Unique. Berrys bullets have kinda gone over the top with their lead surcharge. Because of cost, I'm considering reloading 230 gr. hardcast bullets. The XD45 according to popular opinion doesn't function real well with semi-wadcutter bullets, so I will be sticking with roundnose bullets.

Would either the 230gr. RN plated or hardcast work for both practice and competition?
Would either bullet type place me at a disadvantage in competition?
Because of the cost factor, can I go just with the hardcast bullets for both practice and competition?
For consistancy sake, can I use the same powder weight charge for practice/competition?

Thanks
Randy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bulldo...2539637?ref=hl

Last edited by randyc74; April 15, 2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old April 15, 2008, 09:33 AM   #2
k8do

I am shooting moly coated hard lead (Master Blaster - now gone, but others make em), ACP 45 cal. RNF, with 5.0 gr. Accurate#2... Makes high power (just)... Bore is still clean of lead after thousands of rounds...

denny
Old April 15, 2008, 09:32 PM   #3
Gatorguy

I'm interested in this as well. I have never shot hardcast, but I am finding myself looking for plated alternatives with the current pricing going up. I really don't enjoy cleaning lead out of a barrel, so I was willing to pay more for plated to not have to do so. If hardcast doesn't foul much, that would be good info.
Old April 16, 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Lurper

You should have no problem w/hardcast bullets. Also, don't buy into popular opinion, try SWC for yourself. You would be better off shooting a 200gr or less SWC than a 230 gr RN if your gun will feed them reliably.
Old April 16, 2008, 09:30 PM   #5
Ken O

I shoot mostly cast bullets, I have several .45s and just one of them doesn't like lead.
In NRA bulleye shooting, cast is about all that is used and is considered more accurate. In CMP jacketed is used because that is a requirement (hardball only).
I hear you on the Barrys, I was putting in a good size order and when I saw the surcharge I canceled. I also don't like that they want you to pay extra for the right size bullet (doublestruck). I went to Powder Valley and bought 230gr FMJ Zero jacketed bullets way cheaper. I shoot mostly IDPA and IPSC, I cast my own bullets and really hate buying the jacketed stuff.
Check out Powder Valley, they get about three thousand bullets in a $9 flat rate shipping box (I hope I remember the numbers right.)
Old April 16, 2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Gatorguy

According to powder valley's website, they are out of stock of every single Zero brand .45 bullet they carry.
Old April 16, 2008, 11:00 PM   #7
randyc74

I too liked Powder Valleys prices until I found they were out of virtually all .45 bullets.
Old April 17, 2008, 07:28 AM   #8
Jim Watson

When you get fast enough and when the sun is at the wrong angle, the smoke from burning bullet lube will be an aggravation. There is only one range I can count on using cast bullets at without trouble. The others, I only use cast on cloudy days.

The "moly" coated bullets are a lot better in that regard. I prefer them to plated.
Precision and Bear Creek are good, and I am going to try Billy Bullets, they have the shouldered 200 gr roundnose that I liked from Masterblasters before they folded up in the face of high lead prices.
http://www.precisionbullets.com/
http://www.billybullets.com/
Looks like Bear Creek is concentrating on Cowboy bullets, but they might do some ACP if you asked.
http://www.pandorasfunbox.com/bearcreekbullets.htm
Old April 17, 2008, 09:56 AM   #9
Lurper

Quote:
When you get fast enough and when the sun is at the wrong angle, the smoke from burning bullet lube will be an aggravation.

I've never had that experience and I'm as fast as anyone and faster than most. Even in the old days when we shot open class with compensated .45's I never had an issue with smoke. I still shoot a 178gr lswc over 5.9gr of Bullseye (which is smokey) in my SS gun and have no problems.
Old April 23, 2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Sigma 40 Blaster

Most competition shooters will shoot either hard cast or plated (Berry's or Montana Gold).

I use 225 grain TC from mastercastbullets.com. Leading with these guys is not an issue, and shouldn't be an issue with .45 ACP unless you're really hot-rodding them OR you're using really soft lead bullets.

I do believe most develop one load for practice and competition and use it all the time for consistency sake. Figure out which one you are willing to pay for and go for it, your results will be the same.
Old May 4, 2008, 01:49 AM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...can I go just with the hardcast bullets for both practice and competition?..." Yep. Like Sigma 40 Blaster, most shooters use cast, swaged or plated bullets. Jacketed bullets are too expensive to shoot in competitions.
You should be practicing with the ammo you intend using for anything. Cast 230 grain RN's or FP's work just fine out of my Colt with 4.5 grains of Bullseye. It's a nice light target load.
Old May 4, 2008, 03:31 PM   #12
lmccrock

My suggestion is to practice with what you compete with.

As for smoke, for me it depends on the angle of the sun, humidity. Heck, I was shooting .223 FMJ when the sun was coming over the berm into my eyes on a humid day (USPSA multi-gun Nationals, of all places). Clear before shooting, smokey afterward. With lubed 45 bullets, pretty sure it would have been impenetrable. That said, I shoot coated or plated bullets from my 45. Less cleaning than with plain lead.

Lee
Old May 7, 2008, 05:18 PM   #13
randyc74

Thanks for the advise guys!

Randy
Old May 9, 2008, 11:49 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

I should have said this before. Competitive shooting has something for everybody. Be that bullseye, bowling pins, IDPA/IPSC, etc. Go shoot the matches, but don't worry about placing. You'll meet all kinds of great people, most of whom will help you in any way they can and you'll have lots of fun.