The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 15, 2000, 04:35 PM   #1
e'ville

I have a S&W 29 Classic with an incredible action job. However the barrel is 6.5" and is muzzle heavy. I would like to have it 4-5" and maybe ported. Would it be better to buy a new barrel, get it ported then have my smith switch barrels or to have my smith cut the existing barrel and port it? Would a muzzle brake work better than porting? Should I just buy a new 44 mag with a shorter barrel and sell the old one? Any advice is appreciated?

------------------
Mark
Old March 15, 2000, 08:13 PM   #2
Badger

I considered doing something similar to my 686 as I didn't want to part with the gun because of the action work on it.I called S&W and as I recall it was about $200 to switch to a shorter barrel. But they also told me that they would return the trigger to factory specs. That killed it for me. Now factor in about $60 for UPS shipping on top of it.All things considered I ended up keeping the gun as is.It's probably just as cheap to sell yours and buy one with the barrel length you want.
Old March 15, 2000, 09:22 PM   #3
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Brownells sells a 3" full lug factory S&W barrel for $112.46 list. They also sell most of the other S&W lengths and styles (for 29s and other Smiths). Call about the ported barrel, they might be able to get you one. I'd think you could get a barrel installed for around $100 (or less), it's a pretty basic smithin' job. -- Kernel
Old March 16, 2000, 10:32 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

E'ville, I quoted this very job to a guy just about a week ago and we both came to the conclusion that it would be more economical just to trade his in on one in the barrel length he wanted. George