The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 15, 2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Shaw Barrels

Does anyone here use Shaw rifle barrels?
If so what is your experience with them?

The reason I ask is I have a Savage with a 20 inch heavy barrel in 223, I believe Savage called this their truck gun model.

I wanting to go to a longer barrel and stay with the 223 caliber.
I'm considering either a contour 3.5 heavy varmint or a contour 5 heavy bull, whichever I choose I was planning on having Shaw do their helical fluting on the barrel.

I'm not wanting a bench rest rifle however I would like the rifle to shoot at least half inch groups at 100 yards, that's what it does now with my handloads.

Anyone that can shed some light on what I should exspect from a Shaw barrel, it sure would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 15, 2013, 08:20 PM   #2
hodaka

I've had a couple. A 25-06 and a 6.5-06. I think they are a good value. Not nearly as good as a Hart, but around half the price. At the time money was pretty tight. I have not bought one in 10 years or so someone else will need to give you more recent experience. I think they build a lot of barrels for others, perhaps some factories.
Old January 15, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Scorch

I have used ER Shaw barrels in the past, they are a fair barrel, about 3/8-1/2 MOA capability. Over the past 4-5 years, their prices have`almost doubled while other barrelmakers' prices have increased about 30%. I use McGowen barrels for my builds, and they are the best barrel for the money. You can get one fluted, but ER Shaw owns the rights to the helical fluting. So you decide, but I don't recommend E R Shaw barrels any more unless you can get it for the same price as the alternative.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:07 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

Scorch and hodaka thank you for your in-put on this.
I'll do a search on McGowen barrels.

The rifle is now a 1/2 MOA rifle and if the groups don't get any larger then that I would be happy.

Scorch, another question if you don't mind.
I know there's a lot variables when it comes to accuracy, what kind of accuracy do think a McGowen barrel would produce?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 16, 2013, 12:01 PM   #5
Scorch

Bob-
I expect the rifles I build to produce 1/4 MOA or better when fitted with McGowen barrels. I have posted this picture on this forum several times, but take a look at the group it shot with the first 5 shots (about 8 o'clock on the target under the rifle). That is a .217" 100 yds 5-shot group, first test loads, prior to load development. Needless to say, at that point I was done with load development.
Old January 16, 2013, 12:12 PM   #6
tobnpr

I have one that I just installed on my Savage, 7mm.-08.
Tackdriver, nailed plates at 1000 yards with it my first time out after prelim. load development.

Old January 16, 2013, 02:24 PM   #7
alex0535

Scorch thanks for the suggestion for Mcgowan Barrels. I want to eventually build myself a left handed bolt action .308 and I am thinking I might go with a Mcgowan barrel on it. Their prices seem good, and if your getting 1/4 moa performance out of them it seems like a good choice.
Old January 16, 2013, 02:25 PM   #8
the jigger

Shaw barrels?

I used Shaw for two of my Savage builds; 220 Swift Varmint weight and a 243 VW. Both shoot .5MOA consistantly and both have taken prairie dogs out past 450yds. I also have Douglas and Shilen on other builds. The only difference is the ease of cleaning the latter mentioned barrels. I will use Shaw again if the occasion arrises.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:44 PM   #9
emcon5

Seems like a lot of effort for ~100 fps, if that. Just saying.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Hunter Customs

Thanks again for everyones in-put on this.

Scorch and tobnpr, nice rifles and thanks for sharing them with us.
Scorch very nice group, I can see why load devolpment ceased, that group would make me happy, happy, happy.

I've been checking out McGowens website.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old January 17, 2013, 12:13 AM   #11
Txhillbilly

I bought 2 Shaw barrels on a group buy several months ago. Both 26" varmint contour stainless in 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor.
The 7mm-08 barrel came first,and it took a while to find what it liked to shoot.It prefers 150gr-160gr bullets,and will shoot them in the .500" range,while others weights shoot in the .750"-1.0" range.
I just built the 6.5 Creedmoor today,and haven't shot it yet.

I prefer to buy McGowen,Hart,or Pac-Nor barrels,but I couldn't pass up buying these Shaw barrels for $158 each.

7mm-08-

6.5 Creedmoor-
Old January 17, 2013, 01:10 AM   #12
allaroundhunter

I use one of their barrels on my competition AR. It shoots very well, and keeps me on the 2 MOA plates out to 600 yards (with factory ammo).

I have not shot it for groups much, but the best 5 shot group has been about .717" at 100 yards (using a 4x optic).
Old January 17, 2013, 02:01 AM   #13
kilotanker22

barrel

Never used shaw but as far as my favorite barrels go i would say shilen selct match and for length on a 223 i would stay about where you are at. You burn up that little bit of powder quick. A shilen will cost around 350 dollars.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:02 PM   #14
GeauxTide

I've had two - 6.5-06 and .280. Both shoot cloverleaves into 5/8" with most loads. For the money, they are the best value out there. On the 280, I got a 26" heavy sporter and had them put their helical cut fluting to reduce weight. Truly excellent.
Old January 28, 2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Hunter Customs

I wanted to come back to this thread so I could let everyone that offered suggestions and advice know what my decision is.
I also want to thank everyone again for all the help.

Today I took the rifle I was thinking about rebarreling to my range and did a little shooting with it.
My range lays east and west with me shooting to the east.

There was a 10 to 20 mph cross wind blowing from the south, but I decided to go ahead and do a little shooting with the rifle.
I ended up shooting five different three shot groups ( I know five shot groups are claimed to be better).

The first four of the three shot groups was 5/16 MOA the last one was 9/16 MOA.
I think the last group was partly me, I guess I could not stand success.

My Sierra manual says my load of IMR 4320 pushing their 55 gr HPBT bullet should be leaving the muzzle at a little over 3200 fps.
However I've not taken the time yet to chronograph this load so I can't say that's fact.

My conclusion is I would not gain much (if anything at all) if I rebarreled the gun so I believe I'll leave it as is.
I just might use the money I was going to spend on a new barrel put a little more with it and buy a new rifle.

There's another plus to keeping the rifle with the original barrel.
I have a small truck I drive most of the time, the truck has a shelf where the sunvisors were.
The rifle fits in this shelf perfectly so it's hiden from plain view of anyone walking past the truck.
If I went with the longer barrel I was considering the rifle would no longer be quite so handy.

Again thanks to everyone that came to this thread with advice.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; January 28, 2013 at 08:50 PM.