The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 9, 2018, 11:17 PM   #26
Azureoval

Stagpanther,
The first time I shot mine I had a cheap standard three chamber brake and the recoil wasn't too bad. It was loud as heck and was blowing stuff off my shooting bench so the next time I tried a linear comp. Not as loud but added some kick back. I think I will put the Brake back on next time to shoot groups . I can't imagine shooting a lot with just a crown. Hats off to you.

Josh
Old July 9, 2018, 11:56 PM   #27
stagpanther

What are you finding your best accuracy with (muzzle device or no)? I don't mind the kick if I can get accuracy; though quick follow up is pretty tough. My barrel isn't threaded--so I would need a clamp-on if I were to add a device (or pay to have it threaded). Any particularly good loads? thanks

PS--due to fluting--clamp-on is out. In fact, I don't think there's enough room threading. drat.

Last edited by stagpanther; July 10, 2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old July 10, 2018, 04:45 PM   #28
stagpanther

I keep thinking there's something wrong with the gun--but I can often get 3 shots to group kinda close but almost always pull a flier somewhere way off. More 215 gamekings. I've pretty much concluded the 338 fed is more less a 358 win--that wears a girdle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215 GK 338Fed 4320.jpg (110.9 KB, 34 views)
Old July 11, 2018, 09:42 AM   #29
stagpanther

The starline brass I bought in bulk, BTW, is really poor quality--I finally figured out that you need to resize, sort and trim all the new brass if you want any kind of consistency with it. They used to be my go-to for pistol brass--but the quality has really taken a hit lately.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:30 PM   #30
stagpanther

tried again today--only this time I yanked some cartridges after they had been chambered--they are definitely taking some damage upon being fed--I guess I have some work to do to see if I can cut that down. Same 3 shots OK--one bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 215 GK 338Fed xx4320.jpg (103.4 KB, 35 views)
Old July 11, 2018, 05:47 PM   #31
Azureoval

I have only shot it twice. Once with a brake and once with a Linear comp. My Dad tried his with just a tread protector and quickly put a L.comp back on. Not so much because it was uncomfortable but it was harder for him to shoot accurately.
I have only shot Factory loads so far but have some Speer HOT COR 200gr and some Hornady 200gr bullets I am going to try out.
Josh
Old July 11, 2018, 06:13 PM   #32
stagpanther

My cartridge damage theory was put to rest today--I took some out and single hand-fed them--pretty much same result--a few close but always one that flies wide. I usually don't hesitate to blame myself--but I called the trigger breaks as being pretty dead-on each time I pulled--though immediately following the break the rifle does jump a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0242.JPG (211.4 KB, 24 views)
Old July 11, 2018, 06:19 PM   #33
stagpanther

Quote:
I have only shot Factory loads so far but have some Speer HOT COR 200gr
I bought gobs of them cause they were so cheap. So far, haven't found a good formula for them--they group worse than any other bullet I've tried so far--buit maybe I haven't discovered the "holy grail" load yet.
Old July 11, 2018, 07:34 PM   #34
Azureoval

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I bought gobs of them cause they were so cheap. So far, haven't found a good formula for them--they group worse than any other bullet I've tried so far--buit maybe I haven't discovered the "holy grail" load yet.
Well that sucks. My local store always has them on the shelf so I have bought 4 boxes so far. Hopefully I get lucky and stumble upon a combo.
My buddy has 50 loaded up with some PP2000 MR ready to shoot. If they shoot well I will try that combo. I need some for my Valkyrie anyway.

Josh
Old July 11, 2018, 08:19 PM   #35
stagpanther

2000MR in the 338 fed? Haven't thought of that--much more compact powder--but I think it's da shiz for the valk.
Old July 11, 2018, 09:19 PM   #36
Azureoval

Just like the Valk, it is the Fastest powder listed by Alliant in their 338 Fed Load Data.