The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 10, 2018, 09:48 AM   #26
Fishbed77

Quote:
Colt 6920.
This.^^^

A Colt 6920 is going to be the best bang for your buck in terms of quality to cost.
Old July 10, 2018, 01:09 PM   #27
riffraff

The simple thing for basic optic is a red dot, sig romeo5 runs like $120 online and I've been real happy with mine..

Or just get a set of Magpull flip up sights, run it like that for awhile.

75 yards or less with a 1x dot i shoot faster and just as accurate as I can with a scope.

Whatever the case, with your first AR, I strongly suggest resisting the temptation to put a heavy magnified optic. These rifles are a lot more practical and useful if kept light.
Old July 10, 2018, 05:27 PM   #28
PlatinumCore16

Glad to hear you got one. I think you'll find that you'll be building one very soon. It's a lot of fun and if you wait for sales, you can buy quality components for one great rifle at about the same cost as the one you got. Not that you didn't get a quality rifle, but you can definitely go up from where you're at.

I will reiterate with the same thing as everyone else, I wouldn't go with a heavy magnified optic, unless you're looking to stretch out the distance. I got a PA ACSS 3x for my AR and it is the perfect size. It's a little on the heavier side, but it has just enough magnification to reach out 300-400 yards very accurately and still be used up close with the way the optic is set up. At the same time, you'll see many people on here using red dots and even iron sights out to 500yds. My eyes aren't great, even with glasses, so I appreciate the little magnification. Find what works for you. You're probably not going to stick with the first thing you start out with, but you might get that lucky.

Riffraff, I am curious why would were not fond of the clamp on style carry handle sight (Mostly because I debated that myself back and forth forever!!)?? Also I will disagree that you need a free float hand guard. If you do research here and on the internet at large, there are many times that a free float handguard didn't really do much, and sometimes didn't change accuracy at all. Long range heavy optic, bag rest shooting, yes. Usually the free floats excel there. But I think that is slightly off topic and I don't really want to derail this thread (too much ).
Old July 10, 2018, 06:57 PM   #29
PatientWolf

I'd look at a Springfield Armory Saint in the price range you mentioned. They have put together a pretty nice package with a free-float hand guard. I'm not sure, but you might also find the Edge model right around your $1k number.
Old July 10, 2018, 10:17 PM   #30
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumCore16 View Post
Glad to hear you got one. I think you'll find that you'll be building one very soon. It's a lot of fun and if you wait for sales, you can buy quality components for one great rifle at about the same cost as the one you got. Not that you didn't get a quality rifle, but you can definitely go up from where you're at.

I will reiterate with the same thing as everyone else, I wouldn't go with a heavy magnified optic, unless you're looking to stretch out the distance. I got a PA ACSS 3x for my AR and it is the perfect size. It's a little on the heavier side, but it has just enough magnification to reach out 300-400 yards very accurately and still be used up close with the way the optic is set up. At the same time, you'll see many people on here using red dots and even iron sights out to 500yds. My eyes aren't great, even with glasses, so I appreciate the little magnification. Find what works for you. You're probably not going to stick with the first thing you start out with, but you might get that lucky.

Riffraff, I am curious why would were not fond of the clamp on style carry handle sight (Mostly because I debated that myself back and forth forever!!)?? Also I will disagree that you need a free float hand guard. If you do research here and on the internet at large, there are many times that a free float handguard didn't really do much, and sometimes didn't change accuracy at all. Long range heavy optic, bag rest shooting, yes. Usually the free floats excel there. But I think that is slightly off topic and I don't really want to derail this thread (too much ).
I don't like the clamp on style ones because there is less clearance for your knuckles - they are not as good of a handle. When you go adding a handle to a flat top, if you are really gonna run the rifle like that, you've got a handle that doesn't work as well and a rear sight which is at the mercy of how well it's clamped on there. That's all - just is inferior to a one-piece design... I guess to add to that too, you will pay $100 for a decent carry handle sight, even a used Colt one will run you that $$. It's the same $$ or cheaper just to start w/ the handle on the upper.

As far as the free float - for me it's not an accuracy thing of not putting force on the barrel, I'm not good enough to need to worry about that, rather it's a matter of when you get a free float guard w/ mounting points all over it you can add accessories properly without needing to change the guard. If you get one that is better secured (probably not the PSA one he got) you can even add iron sights or optics to the guard that should remain reliably accurate.

Last edited by riffraff; July 10, 2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old July 10, 2018, 10:41 PM   #31
Venti30

Grabbed a Romeo 5 which should be here in a couple days. Nothing about this rig is going to be high end, however in my hotel last night I probably watched 3 hours of build your own AR YouTube videos and I’m intrigued as hell, and haven’t even shot this mil spec vanilla one yet.

I think this will be a fun venture.
Old July 11, 2018, 08:41 AM   #32
PlatinumCore16

Thanks riffraff. I liked the idea of it all being one piece as well.

Venti, you'll find that your AR doesn't like being all alone in the safe. They will multiply.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:03 AM   #33
kymasabe

Venti!! Check your messages !!
(..sorry for the interruption, we now bring you back to our regularly scheduled programming).