The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 28, 2021, 03:09 PM   #1
thekeeper1944

Winchester model 88 Sights and scope mounts

Hello from a Newbie to the site.
Well, I am new to the Forum But not to guns. I recently purchased a 1967 Winchester Model 88 in .308, interestingly that was the year I was released from active duty in the Air Force. My eyesight is not what it once was so I purchased a Williams WGRS 88-100 Rifle Aperture Peep Sight and as recommended a Marble’s Front Sight of .450” Height. I can shoot very good groups but they are 4 inches high at 25 yards. Not sure what that works out to at 50 or 100 yards. I would like to see the groups about ½ inch high at 25 yards. I decided to mount a scope and purchased a set of Redfield Frontier 2-piece Scope Mount Bases FR-88 513116. Does anyone know what Rings I should get to work on these bases? I have weaver and Picatinny Rings and they are both too wide for the base. The weaver and Picatinny base is about ¾ in. wide but the Readfield is only about ½ in wide. Thanks for any and all help you can give.
Old June 4, 2021, 12:46 AM   #2
bamaranger

rings

I'm thinking that the vintage Redfield bases you have are for a 3/4" scope & rings. The smaller 3/4" scope tube was the predecessor to the now standard 1" and 30mm tube diameters. Please note that is just a speculation, but if standard 1" Weaver and Pic cross slot rings won't work 'cause their too large, it almost has to be for a smaller ring set and the logical answer is the older 3/4" rings and tube dia. The M88 production goes back to the mid 50's, and the 3/4 tube/ring set would have been common at that time, to fit the older 3/4" scopes then available.

My 1956 M88 has a set of Weaver 2 piece bases, that accept standard Weaver cross slot rings, and I'll bet you can still find same affordably now. The 3/4 " hardware is hard to find, and you might find a buyer trying to set up a vintage rifle with the older, smaller dia rings and scope.

The M88 is a beauty and classic rifle, enjoy.
Old June 4, 2021, 01:00 AM   #3
bamaranger

more

When you acquire your Weaver bases, if your scope objective bell will allow it, be sure and select "Low" rings. An objective bell to 40mm should fit with barrel clearance and low rings. You may need to drift out the rear sight blade and fit a blank to get a 40mm on board. A tidy 32mm or 36mm objective bell, and certainly the even slimmer 20mm straight tube will fit no trouble.

The M88 has a very straight stock with little drop and no cheekpiece, and was designed at a time when use of iron or peep/aperture sights was the norm. If you mount a scope too high (ie medium or high rings or heaven forbid, the silly "Iron Sighters") you may not be able to acquire a satisfactory cheek weld and spoil the rifles fine pointing qualities.

My M88 has 1" Burris low Zee rings and a Leupold 6x36mm.
Old June 9, 2021, 01:25 PM   #4
Jim Watson

The Redfield Frontier scope mounts are an old proprietary design, used by nobody else I know of. Not interchangeable with Weaver or Redfield rotary dovetail.

As you have found, Weaver doesn't not fit, not meant to. I googled around and found plenty of the bases on eBay but no rings.

Probably simpler to buy a Weaver or Picatinny base to suit the rings you have.
The Weaver No 53 base is cheap but not as flexible as a Picatinny.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1009231637?pid=667685
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018662029?pid=462625

Oh, you need a taller front sight to zero the irons.
Old June 9, 2021, 02:14 PM   #5
hooligan1

A buddy of mine had same problem needing to mount a scope on the very same rifle only his is a bit older.
We went with S&K bases and sculptured rings to mount an old school Weaver 4 power and it works nicely and looks great.
Old June 12, 2021, 11:16 PM   #6
thekeeper1944

Thanks for your comments and help.
I found a set of Talley 1" Rings that mount directly on the Rifle, and they are low mount. They look good and with the mount's built-in, keep a clean look on the rifle. I will try and post a picture when I get the scope mounted.
Talley Manufacturing, Inc www.talleyrings.com
Old June 14, 2021, 02:10 PM   #7
thekeeper1944

A Pic of the mounts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210613_142501943 (1)ab.jpg (200.5 KB, 20 views)