The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2021, 03:26 PM   #1
yournodaisy

Walther P99 QA vs AS

Just purchased a Walther P99 QA green/black 9mm. I've been a HK, Sig, Glock man in that order for years. Just really liked this Walther. I see a lot of ho do about the differences in variants. Is there that big of deal between them. I know after you decock the QA you don't have double action capabilities like the AS version. However if you carry a Glock you don't either. Am I missing something?
Old February 15, 2021, 03:59 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

Yes there is.

The QA has a harder trigger at 8.4lbs. That is harder than the P99 AS with a 4lb trigger.

So it's like the DOA P99, but comes with a SA trigger and a decocker.

You can do a Glock trigger swap to reduce.

The QA is the least desired, but nothing wrong with it either.
Old February 15, 2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Siggy-06

Like Wild Cat stated, just a difference in triggers. I had a P99AS compact and I’d say it set the bar for all striker fired pistol triggers(PPQ is nice too).
Old February 16, 2021, 12:01 AM   #4
Ignition Override

wild cat mccane: you mentioned " .. the P99 AS with a 4lb trigger".

The DA pull on my P99 AS feels like about 8-9 lbs. when it breaks.

Did you mean that the >SA< " is 4 lbs? " Just curious.
Old February 16, 2021, 10:11 AM   #5
wild cat mccane

The P99AS has three different trigger pulls in all (Anti Stress, single action, double action). The QA only has one (heavy 8.4lb single action trigger).

When you rack the slide on a P99AS, the trigger is fully forward but more than 50% of the pull is now 100% no weight. It hits a middle point and locks the trigger at mid point. The final pull is a 4lb single action. This fully forward with 100% reduced weight for more than 50% of the pull is the AS (Anti Stress) trigger. (P99AS Trigger 1)

Once you fire, you are now in single action only at that point. Very VERY short pull/reset at 4lbs. This is the PPQ trigger at this point. The P99AS is actually lighter of a pull than the PPQ. However, this single action is the PPQ single action trigger. (P99AS Trigger 2)

If you ever hit the decocker, the trigger is full forward and full weight throughout. You never have full weight double action pull unless you hit the decocker. (P99AS Trigger 3).

Your QA is like a PPQ or P99SA in single action, however the weight is double. The decocker deactivates the trigger completely. It's used for cleaning. This is the version the Canik TP9SA copies.

The P99 DOA is full weight throughout the pull.
Old February 17, 2021, 08:29 PM   #6
yournodaisy

Thanks guys.
Old February 18, 2021, 12:17 AM   #7
Ignition Override

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1g-708_dEU

For whoever might want to see a graphic explanation of the 'AS' DA versus the SA modes described by wild cat mccane, Sootch shows us the SA modes at about 2:56, then the decocked DA mode at 4:26 in this nice video.

My AS' Double Action pull is the best stacking feel of any DA/SA gun I have owned, regarding factory stock triggers. This is gradual, smooth, and on some pretty direct linear type of scale.

This AS is certainly better than any HK USP DA pull (stock trigger) I've tried.

Last edited by Ignition Override; February 18, 2021 at 02:10 AM.
Old February 21, 2021, 07:14 PM   #8
torrejon224

Own a full size and compact 9mm with the AS system and they are my absolute favorite 9mms next to my HK P7s. Very accurate and well made and with the lifetime warranty from S&W you cannot go wrong. Magazines are starting to get spendy but CDNN is a good source for factory mags. Stay away from promag, they are garbage.
Old February 22, 2021, 12:15 AM   #9
lechiffre

The P99(AS) is a DA/SA with the addition of an odd third option of having the striker fully cocked while the trigger is fully forward.

The P99 QA has a partially recooking striker like the PPS or a Glock.

There was also a double action only version of the P99, the P99 DAO.

The PPQ is SA only

The decocker on the QA is there so you don’t have to pull the trigger for disassembliy.

do the interns get glocks ?

Last edited by lechiffre; February 25, 2021 at 03:03 AM.
Old February 24, 2021, 10:34 AM   #10
wnycollector

I own a full size S&W 990 and a compact 990. I picked up both guns years ago at bargin prices. The trigger on both of mine are a fine for me, but I'm a guy who cut his teeth on revolvers. Both guns are extremely accurate and will eat any ammo I feed them.
Old February 24, 2021, 06:28 PM   #11
Ignition Override

In the video link I provided in Remark #7, the segment at 4:29 shows "Sootch" decocking the P99 AS.

Maybe this helps people see the gun's DA function better than when trying to 'picture' it via verbal descriptions.
Old February 25, 2021, 02:06 AM   #12
Snuffy308

DAO