The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 27, 2021, 02:20 AM   #1
SnubbyMan

Any current-production pistols similar to the Sig P239?

Just curious if there's anything being produced at the moment that is similar to the Sig P239?

9 mm
Steel or aluminum frame
External hammer
DA/SA or DAO
Single stack
Full finger grip

I imagine it's a dying breed. Looking for something similarly thin. I already have a G19 and P228.

I guess I'm trying to decide whether I want to introduce the P239 into my carry rotation (and start practicing with it more). Just concerned about parts availability since it's been discontinued.

Thanks for any input!
Old May 27, 2021, 02:48 AM   #2
Catchabullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnubbyMan View Post
Just curious if there's anything being produced at the moment that is similar to the Sig P239?

9 mm

Steel or aluminum frame

External hammer

DA/SA or DAO

Single stack

Full finger grip

I imagine it's a dying breed. Looking for something similarly thin. I already have a G19 and P228.

I guess I'm trying to decide whether I want to introduce the P239 into my carry rotation (and start practicing with it more). Just concerned about parts availability since it's been discontinued.

Thanks for any input!
What price point?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old May 27, 2021, 02:54 AM   #3
SnubbyMan

I guess I'm open to hearing about any price point. But I am looking for something similar in size/weight (~25 ounces).
Old May 27, 2021, 10:19 AM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnubbyMan

9 mm
Steel or aluminum frame
External hammer
DA/SA or DAO
Single stack
Full finger grip
Allow me to put the P239 in perspective first, then we'll move on.

First, there was a Spanish pistol in .380 ACP. Colt came out with a clone of that Spanish pistol called the Mustang. Then, some years later, Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Sig all copied the Mustang. The Sig copy is the P238.

And then, somewhere along the way, one of them (I don't remember who was first) thought it would be cool to make a 9x19 version of the Mustang/Micro 380/P238. The resulting pistol from Sig is the P239. Springfield Armory has the 911. Kimber calls theirs the Micro 9.

Take your pick.
Jeepaholic
Old May 27, 2021, 10:53 AM   #5
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca
And then, somewhere along the way, one of them (I don't remember who was first) thought it would be cool to make a 9x19 version of the Mustang/Micro 380/P238. The resulting pistol from Sig is the P239.
The SIG P239 is a DA/SA 9mm, not single action with a safety (it may also have been available in SIG's DAK trigger configuration). I think you're thinking of the SIG P938 which is their 9mm version of the P238 (though I agree the naming system in your explanation makes more sense).
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 27, 2021, 02:43 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

You're right -- I was thinking of the P938
Jeepaholic
Old May 27, 2021, 05:31 PM   #7
Forte S+W

Sadly, there really isn't anything quite like the SIG P239 on the market at the moment.

DA/SA has gone out of style, as well as aluminum frames, albeit to a lesser extent. Single Stack pistols also seem to be fading in popularity.

The closest thing on the market that's still in current production is the Walther PPK, but it's chambered in .380 ACP and has a steel frame. Still, it's a fantastic firearm with unmatched aesthetic appeal, great ergonomics, and inherently high accuracy due to its fixed barrel design.

I carried this PPK/S up until about 2 years ago when we started having wild animal sightings in my neighborhood and I decided to carry a more powerful cartridge just in case I were to run into a hog or something. It's a terrific firearm though, definitely worth a look if you must have something as close to a P239 as possible but don't mind carrying the slightly less powerful .380 ACP over 9mm Luger.
Old May 28, 2021, 08:54 AM   #8
sigarms228

I would not worry about parts for it. SIG very likely has a good supply of parts and there are parts common among other SIG pistols. Best thing you can do for your P239 is too keep frame rails well lubed and to change recoil spring regularly. I think suggests 5000 rounds fired but some are doing 3000 since the springs are usually cheap.

SIG usually runs service specials once in a while too like on Fathers Day I believe.

https://www.sigsauer.com/custom-works-services
Old May 28, 2021, 10:19 PM   #9
RKG

At one point, SIG intended the P225A1 to be the successor to the P239. I shot one once and found it a worthy alternative. Don't know current availability.

Or hunt long and hard for a S&W 3913.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:01 AM   #10
10-96

I have no idea when, but Sig seems to have a revolving door on some of their pistols. It would be my guess that they will eventually bring back the 239 which is closest related to the P6, 225, and 225A1. They seem to have limited floor space to produce only so many models at one time. At least I hope my assumptions are right- I kind of like some of the polymer pistols, but I'd sure like to see the aluminum framed models stick around and not die off.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 29, 2021, 08:13 PM   #11
wnycollector

I know it's polymer but the Springfield XD-E with 3.8" barrel checks many of your boxes.
Old May 31, 2021, 07:02 PM   #12
Victor252

I think the Sig P225A1 has the same capacity in a flush-fit mag as the P239 with that pinky extension. The P225A1 also has a better trigger, the Short Reset Trigger (SRT) and flat recoil spring. I imagine the new design means smoother recoil or more rounds through the pipe before replacing. Although I myself like the look of those Sig P239s, I wouldn't turn my nose up at its brother.

If I squint the right way, maybe a Kahr, with its long trigger pull could seems similar to a single stack DAO Sig or S&W?
Old June 1, 2021, 10:34 PM   #13
SnubbyMan

Thanks everyone - I appreciate all the responses! I feel like I'm going out of style - or always have been haha. Several people have recommend the Walther PPK. Definitely would love to pick one up.

And yeah, I think I was being overly paranoid about parts availability and such. I should be so lucky to wear one out with ammo prices what they are these days
Old June 1, 2021, 11:16 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Any current-production pistols similar to the Sig P239?

You used to be able to find parts kits for SIG P series pistols from the classic line. You could always try and find one to pick up and put aside if it puts your mind at ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 3, 2021, 09:00 PM   #15
jr24

I certainly didn't get a full fingered grip on the 239.

That said they are rare to find anything similar.

Not single stack but the CZ Rami is almost there, I don't thing it's a whole lot thicker in the grip than the 239 was, didn't get a direct comparison though.