The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 31, 2021, 01:46 PM   #1
AlongCameJones

My grandfather owned both these rifle models.

They were strictly for deer hunting in America and especially in California before 1964. I'm on the market now seeking either one of these guns in tip-top shape. I was once the proud owner of gramp's two beautiful classic rifles but they were sadly lost in a 1999 home burg never to be recovered.

I consider rifles of these styles and designs to be the gold standard for hunting rifles in beauty, function and aesthetics. Sadly, the gun market of today has moved away from such old-fashioned elegance. Look at that beautiful polished ball curved Mauser bolt handle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hsq.jpg (96.0 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 2, 2021 at 02:15 AM.
Old May 31, 2021, 03:07 PM   #2
Jim Watson

You will just have to haunt Gunbroker and the better stores and don't complain about the price when you find one.

A coworker had a Husqvarna like that, except the scope and claw mount rings had gone astray. The big shop in Memphis took off the rear claw base, drilled and tapped for Redfield mounts. The claw base stayed on the barrel but not used.
Old May 31, 2021, 03:55 PM   #3
AlongCameJones

According to Guns Digest Gun Values:

Husqvarna Model 3100 Crown Grade lists at $575 for excellent condition, no NIB price is noted. The Model 3000 Crown Grade is not listed but has the Monte Carlo stock whereas the 3100 model has the lower comb height sporting stock.

A plain-Jane Savage Model 99-EG Standard Weight Rifle should not exceed $900 in excellent condition. NIB price is also not noted.

Does somebody here have Guns Blue Book "excellent" values for any of the rifles above?

If you hold the gun 3 feet in front of you in good light and no scratches, chips, mars, bluing wear or rust is visible, it's in excellent shape. No rust nor pitting should be inside the barrel also.

I don't care to buy a gun like this over the Internet. I want to inspect in person with a magnifier before laying money down. I have a Want to Buy ad posted on Armslist now for these guns. I live in SW Oklahoma.

Mr. Gun Blue 490 in this Savage 99 video found a nice one but he had to do a lot of work cleaning excess oil out of the action and also to clean up the darkened oil-penetrated stock wood. He says he got this classic for a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaRx8azd6BU&t=425s

Here is great video on classic Swedish hunting rifles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCKUe3eJcQ&t=106s

Last edited by AlongCameJones; May 31, 2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old May 31, 2021, 10:17 PM   #4
Pathfinder45

I'm not a fan of pristine vintage rifles. The Savage 99 is a marvelous contraption with its spool magazine and cartridge counter.... It needs to be in good-to-go condition, of course... but if it doesn't have worn bluing and some honest signs of being used for decades in the deep backwoods, perhaps Alaska or whatever,; if it's too nice....then I find it less interesting.
Old June 1, 2021, 06:15 AM   #5
HiBC

In the 70's I found a new Tradewinds Husky 5000 for $137. It was a 7mm rem mag. The trigger was horrid.Canjar made me one.Fixed that!
The reciever appears to be the same.Lines of the stock,very similar.No black forend tip.A nice semi-schnabel.

That was a nice hunting rifle.I used it many years. Light,for a wood and steel rifle.
It had no stock re-enforcing cross screws. And it had a cast alloy guard /mag box.
The 7mm Rem Mag presented enough recoil.there was a failure.The mag box was fitted with generous,easy to manufacture clearance between the forward face of the mag box and the wood behind the recoil lug.For rifles with recoil,the mag box should be closely fitted or glassed to support that wood. The bottom metal should be fitted to transmit the recoil into strong wood all the way back to the lower tang. Unlike the wood behind the upper tang,the wood at the lower tang is well supported.

The other issue,no cross bolts ,come into play because under recoil,the slabs of wood on either side of the receiver want to bow outward. Thats a problem because the grain structure of the wood behind the receiver recoil lug is encouraged to split. Which mine did. That allowed some setback, resulting in the classic split-off of wood behind the rear upper tang.
This stock inspired me to learn what a Mauser type wood stock needs to stand up to recoil. I found an article in John T Amber's Gun Digest that explained it,

The stock was badly hurt. Wait,it gets worse!

This was decades ago,I had far less experience.As a matter of fact,I decided to try my first AccraGlas job,DIY!!! With the old school,runny original Accra Glas !!

It actually went pretty well,up to a point. I found out its a really,really bad idea to pull on the trigger guard to remove the bottom metal from a glass bed job. Especially with an alloy part. The rear tang area released just fine,but the front guard screw boss needed to pull straight out. It could not "rock" out. There is a cross pin for the hinged floorplate behind the front guard screw, That makes a perfect weak spot to snap the alloy guard in two.
Yes. I did that.
The alloy guard had a unique profile. More wood was removed from the stock to accomodate it. A standard commercial guard would not work.

So,I had made a mess of things. Broken/repaired stock and broken bottom metal. It went to a dusty corner a number of years. Till I needed a "volunteer" receiver.
I used my moldmaker techniques and a surface grinder to square and true all critical surfaces.

I used a MOA drawing of the Leupold Boone and Crocket reticle and ballistic software to design a load that matched the reticle (under my typical altitude,etc) to 600 yds. That was a 30-338 launching a 200 gr Accubond at 2900 fps.
Lilja provide the #3 barrel and Elliot the reamer.

I put it in a 20 oz Hi-Tec Specialties blind magazine stock with a Rem 700 ADL trigger Guard.

It wears a Vari X 3 , power 3.5 to 10 with B+C reticle.

Its a pretty nice longer range rifle thats not bad to carry.

My initial test of the "tuned" load/reticle was one cold barrel shot at a lasered 500 yds at just over 7000 ft. I got an X-ring hit. It shoots good.

I

Last edited by HiBC; June 1, 2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old June 1, 2021, 08:53 AM   #6
AlongCameJones

It sounds like the quality of Husky tanked by the 1970's. European guns are supposed to be the world's finest from the Old World hand craftsmen. Husky/Carl Gustaf (Husqvarna Vapenfabrik) went out of business altogether by then. No more Swedish hunting rifles for the American market. My grandfather's Husqvarna Crown Grade 3000 .308 was from the late '50's or early '60's. Beautiful as Cleopatra but built like a rhino. The rifle you got sounds like a lemon. I would want a gun that never needs monkeying with. The Husky 5000 you mention isn't even listed on Gun Values. It might even have been a cheap counterfeit.

The Model Crown Grade 3000 was built from 1954 to 1972.

-Mauser 98 action
-HUGE control-feed extractor claw
-jeweled bolt
-polished ball-knob curved bolt handle for good scope clearance
-hand-checkered walnut stock
-a hang tag with the stock maker's name on it
-non-gloss reddish-brown wood finish
-gloss blued barreled action
-cock on opening
-floor plate release inside trigger guard front
-black for-end and pistol grip caps, white spacers

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 1, 2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old June 1, 2021, 09:57 AM   #7
Jim Watson

I found an ad for a H5000. It is their not-quite-Mauser rifle. Still has external claw extractor but the bolt stop is internal with just a small tab showing at the left of the receiver.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:00 AM   #8
10-96

I didn't see any .308's, but Simpson's has like 9 pages of Husqvarna's in stock. https://simpsonltd.com/search-result...tatus=In+Stock

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:09 AM   #9
AlongCameJones

A lot of those "Huskies" have things listed as wrong with them here
https://simpsonltd.com/search-result...tatus=In+Stock

and none of those model numbers are listed in Gun Values. No true Husky model listed in Guns Digest should retail over $700 for EXCELLENT condition for all the models listed there.

HUSQVARNA Guns Digest Gun Values listings as follows:

Hi-Power

Lahti

Model 1000 Super Grade

Model 1100 Deluxe

Model 1907

Model 3100 Crown Grade

4100 Lightweight

Model 456

Model 6000

Model 8000 Imperial Grade

Model 9000 Crown Grade

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 1, 2021 at 10:14 AM.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:18 AM   #10
AlongCameJones

H-5000 must be one of their off-beat models.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:44 AM   #11
10-96

Yeah, I did a search for "Model 3000" and "Crown Grade" and didn't come up with anything. I just thought I'd pass along what Husq's they did have for comparisons.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:56 AM   #12
HiBC

I'm quite familiar with Husqvarna products. I had a Lahti pistol. I used to ride a Husqvarna 250 cc motocross bike.I own a Husqvarna chain saw. It still runs strong,I bought it in the 80's. I own a Husqvarna sewing machine that has a low range /back gear and will sew leather. I hold the Husqvarna name in high regard. They make good stuff.
Jim Watson's description is accurate.It was also a small ring Mauser design. It was sought after for being light.The bolt stop somewhat resembles an M-70. I assure you it works perfectly. Cleaner,IMO.

Jones ,am I wrong,or are you feathers ruffled? I don't understand why. I did not rain on your parade.
About the same time,same shop I bought a Rem 513 S for $55 and a 20 ga SKB SXS,model 100 for about $225,new. FWIW,a new 427 Shelby AC Cobra was about $7800 then. The low price was not a comment on your Grandpa's rifle.

I gave some generally useful knowledge good for ANY Mauser with substantial recoil. Note the vintage FN Supreme Browning rifles and military Mausers had cross bolts.

I hold no one but myself accountable for breaking the guard assy.

What are you bothered about?

Last edited by HiBC; June 1, 2021 at 11:01 AM.
Old June 1, 2021, 10:57 AM   #13
Jim Watson

The H5000 looks rather like the 1640 at Simpson, the "Improved Mauser."
https://www.gunsamerica.com/98206468...ee-Shippin.htm

Frank DeHaas was of the opinion that the "improvements" were over the 1896 Mauser.
The Swedes did not use many 1898s except for the odd 8x63 machine gun round. I assume so the heavy weapons squad could reload their rifles off the end of machine gun belts. They got those from Germany. I understand that the '98s they used for hunting rounds larger or hotter than suitable for the '96 came from FN.
Old June 1, 2021, 11:10 AM   #14
HiBC

Some years back there was an influx of Husqvarna rifles exported from Sweden. Some double shotguns,too. 7mm's,8mms,9x57,s some 9.3;s . I looked at some. I saw factory sporterized Military type 98's with the stripper clip thumb notch. These rifles were going for about $175. These are a different line than the commercial Mauser Husqvarnas.

I'm sure these were good,too.
Old June 1, 2021, 02:19 PM   #15
AlongCameJones

I'm sure the Swedish gunsmiths who built the Husky guns aren't the same personnel who built other Husqvarna-branded products as chainsaws, bikes and mowers.

Husqvarna seems to have a product diversity. Even General Motors built train locomotives and certain machine guns during certain past wars. Honda and BMW both builds cars and motorcycles. The Tri-Motor airplane in the '30's was Ford powered. Rolls-Royce builds aircraft engines and automobiles.

I would expect most everything European-built to be high quality.

My grandfather got his Husky as a new present from my parents in the early '60's just before I was born. They bought it over in Germany at the base exchange as dad was in the air force stationed there then. My father had told me that $200 was paid for this Model 3000 Crown Grade rifle. It did come with a brown fancy tooled leather case. I was at army exchange in the 1990's in Germany. They seemed to have a number of Sako rifles then. One was priced at about $1K then. I think the US military base exchanges in Europe had a good number of European-made guns for GIs to purchase for several decades.

My grandfather actually never went hunting with his Husky. It sat in the leather case for years to develop rust spots in the letter stamping. In 1981, a year after gramps passed away. I thoroughly wiped all the gun metal down with a coat of 3-in-1 oil and that easily took off the few rust spots. The gun still looked mint condition otherwise. I also coated the wood stock with lemon oil polish to beautify it. This Husky was only fired by me once at a range session in 1991. The jeweled bolt and extractor claw had some brown gunk on it that might have been cosmoline or a preservative from the factory. I was no gunsmith and the bolt assembly looked complicated to disassemble and probably needs special tools to work on. I realize this rifle should have gone to a professional gunsmith for a complete take-down and cleaning and should not have been stored in a gun case for so many years in somewhat humid coastal California. My grandpa had no gun safe or cabinet. He kept his Husky in it's leather case and his Savage 99 wrapped up in a large cloth and kept them at the back of his clothing closet.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 1, 2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old June 1, 2021, 02:48 PM   #16
Paul B.

Back around 1966 or so I bought a Husqvarna Husky in 30-06. Sold it aroud 1969 as the thing literally beat me to death. Very lightweight, 20" barrel and a plastic butt plate didn't help. I later learned from another short barreled rifle (20" again) that is was the muzzle blast that did me in. Too late I learned as I really liked that Husky. I would love to find another one someday. I do have a Husqvarna 30-06 with 24" barrel that I bought as a barreled action. I placed in in a stock I found on line and glass bedded it but due to circumstances beyond my control have not shot it. Whoever had that one before me put a Timney trigger on the gun and it's set up quite nicely triggerwise. About 2.5 pounds according to my tester.
Paul B.
Old June 1, 2021, 07:48 PM   #17
HiBC

Quote:
The H5000 looks rather like the 1640 at Simpson, the "Improved Mauser."
Jim,I agree,the Husky 5000 is a dead ringer for the 1640. The "Husky 5000" may have come from Tradewinds,the importer.

It came as a 7mm Rem Mag,I turned it into a 30-338 . I've had it nearly 50 years. The receiver is bedded in Accraglas steel bed. The Lilja barrel is free floated. With my lousy shooting it will do 5 shots 2 or so in at 300 yds.Its about 5/8 in at 100 yds.
IMO,the receiver is a prize for a hunting rifle. Its a keeper.

Jones: Your Grandfathers rifles are very nice. That Husky is obviously a higher grade than the one I had.Mine had the econo class stock. Thats what failed.

That Savage is very nice! High grade wood,engraving!! They are a very nice rifle. I set one up in 300 savage for a Woman who needed a hunting rifle and had to have a lever. It would do 3 shots into 1 1/2 or 2 in at 100. Those are good guns.

We got it sighted in and she went hunting. She put venison in the freezer. She was mighty proud of her rifle and her deer.

Last edited by HiBC; June 1, 2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old June 2, 2021, 01:31 AM   #18
AlongCameJones

My grandfather's Husky .308 Model 3000 did hurt my shoulder at the range. It had a hard butt plate: can't remember if plastic or metal. If I ever got another gun like that again or a Savage 99, which rifles also originally had hard butt plates, I would be sure to invest in a good shoulder pad. I don't want to butcher the classic looks of such guns with an aftermarket recoil pad and/or a muzzle brake. My grandad's Savage 99 wasn't that fancy grade one I have pictured. It had a plain straight uncheckered stock. No pistol grip. No engraving.

Last edited by AlongCameJones; June 2, 2021 at 01:38 AM.