The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2020, 03:22 PM   #1
dyl

Invincible gun safe?

10+ years ago, I remember being at someone's unattached garage where they were talking about their trusty gun safe. If i remember correctly, they said that before they had an alarm system installed, someone had broken in and tried to open it with a cutting torch and gave up and left. The owner pointed to some hinges at the front, and one seemed a little deformed, and he later had to repaint the front of the safe.

I know just a little about metal working but knew even less back then, so I just accepted it.

These days my inclination is to believe that any commercially available safe for home owners could be defeated through the sides with an angle grinder. It might take a couple blades, it might not. Back then perhaps the 20V Lithium ion cordless tools weren't available and so they used a torch. Which would be quieter I suppose.
I'm inclined to think the steel side panels aren't hardened / heat treated, they just gauge strength by thickness alone. Mild steel.

So would someone have really given up? Maybe ran out of fuel for the torch? Arms got tired? Spooked? Tried using a Propane torch?

Last edited by dyl; December 7, 2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: more descriptive title
Old December 7, 2020, 03:48 PM   #2
cslinger

The only invincible gun safe is the invisible gun safe.
Old December 7, 2020, 03:50 PM   #3
FITASC

Or the one you get when you buy an abandoned bank building.........those would make great walk-in vaults..........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 7, 2020, 05:05 PM   #4
unclenunzie

Safes buy time, not invincibility. Did a lot of reading about safes years ago and it kind of comes down to a minimum of steel thickness, properly bolted down, with other layers like alarms, lights, toothy critters, insurance riders, etc. Really depends on what value you place on what you want to protect, and how much money you wish to spend on that.

Others know a great deal more than me, the average gun accumulator. Even the finest jeweler's safe can be cut open but the time it takes is the protection you buy.

About the only direct recommendation I can make is pay for quality, bolt it down with proper hardware in a corner, arranged so the non-hinge side is against a wall. This makes using a pry bar almost impossible, no room to lever it.
Old December 7, 2020, 08:15 PM   #5
Ed4032

The idea of a safe is that it is just one more barrier to slow the thieves down. Hopefully they give up and move to an easier target.
Old December 7, 2020, 10:01 PM   #6
rc

The invincible gun safe has an autonomous defensive system such as the owner with a loaded weapon ready to defend it. If you can build a hide out for your safe and conceal it in your house it would add an extra layer of security. Crooks can't steal what they cant find and they can't steal what they don't have time to deal with if your house has an alarm.
Old December 7, 2020, 11:16 PM   #7
dyl

Quote:
Or the one you get when you buy an abandoned bank building.........those would make great walk-in vaults..........
Now one of THOSE safes I could see someone actually giving up on
Old December 7, 2020, 11:23 PM   #8
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
A few people notably didn’t give up (cracking) on bank safes and gained substantial fortune...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 8, 2020, 11:10 AM   #9
BJung

The best safe for me - and for the money - are government surplus safes. I had one at my oldest brother's house for extra guns. To make the story short, his house caught on fire. It was so hot that steel beams bent and aluminum engine parts melted into a puddle. Everything was ashes except for "that" safe. I looked it up on the internet and apparently, there was one in Hiroshima that survived the atomic bomb. That's good enough for me.
Old December 8, 2020, 11:19 AM   #10
Shadow9mm

no gun safe is invincible, but some are better than others. This video is older but explains a LOT about safes, very good info. basically, the more steel the better, and know exactly how much steel you are getting. I actually purchased a safe from the guy in the vid, CE Safes a year or 2 ago. Great service, great safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8&t=214s

On another note, People spend big money on safes, but skimp on basic home security. Find a local locksmith, not just google, make sure they have a brick and mortar store. Make sure your entry doors have reinforced latches and hinges, and good quality locks with uncommon keys. Protect everything in your house, including yourself and your family, make it hard to even get in the door.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; December 8, 2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old December 8, 2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Pahoo

Loose lips; Sink ships

Quote:
A number of years ago, I was offered a safe that came out of a post office. On the outside, it was rather large. On the inside, the useable space was limited. The walls and door were lined with about a foot of of concrete. I seldom pass on a freebee and this is one of those times.

You have to weigh the odds of someone wanting to break in. First off, very few people know that I have one and what's in it. I don't worry about a pro breaking in; I worry about some dumb kids making a big mistake .....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; December 10, 2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old December 10, 2020, 02:07 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Like Shadow9mm says, no safe is invincible. Any of 'em can be opened with enough time. Even a bank vault.
"...with a cutting torch..." The criminal take that with him or was it the safe owner's? Just curious, but if it's the former there was serious planning and transport involved.
"...except for "that" safe..." The contents would be, um, toasted. Al, depending on the actual alloy, melts at 655 ° C (1215 ° F). Steel loses temper at about 200 to 500 C. Wood starts to burn at 300 C.