The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old June 7, 2010, 04:06 PM   #26
Hog Buster

beardenbc

Came across this, it might be of some help.

1. Push out the receiver pins and remove the trigger plate assembly by sliding it forward and down.

2. Remove the magazine, press the action bar lock and open the action about half way.
With the bottom of the rifle UP on the bench, insert a snug fitting punch or steel rod through the holes in the action tube.
Unscrew the tube by turning the tube with the punch counterclockwise until it can be removed.

3. Close the action and remove the barrel, bolt and bolt carrier from the receiver.

4. Holding the bolt carrier, pull the barrel forward until the bolt releases from the barrel extension.

5. Push the bolt carrier with the bolt, free of the action bar.

6. Tilt the front of the fore arm downward and slide the barrel out between the action bars.

Once disassembled, the wood forearm is held on the action bar assembly just like a Remington 870 shotgun.
There's a round nut (Part #29) inside the front of the forearm that must be unscrewed to allow the wood to be slid forward and off the action bars.
This requires a special spanner wrench, which can be made from a section of steel pipe, or a piece of 1/8" thick steel plate.
WARNING: DO NOT try to unscrew the nut with pliers or poorly fitting tools, the thin action bar tube can be damaged if you slip.
Buy or make a good tool for this.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:06 PM   #27
moosemike

Quote:
The trigger on this thing is pretty crappy though

They have a spongy shotgun style trigger. It's very easy to master though.
Old June 7, 2010, 04:53 PM   #28
Abel

Quote:
They have a spongy shotgun style trigger. It's very easy to master though.
Exactly. Its not for a trigger snob, no. But it'll get'r done good enough for the meat cooler.
Old June 7, 2010, 05:19 PM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

From NRA's rifle and shotgun disassembly guide:

"The Model 760 is classed as a solid-frame rifle although the barrel does not screw directly into the receiver.

The barrel screws into the barrel extension carrying the breech-bolt locking lug recesses, and from a practical standpoint the barrel, barrel extension, and barrel bracket represent an integral unit.

The barrel extension and barrel bracket are fitted very tightly to the barrel, and their removal requires perfectly fitted vise jaws the prevent deformation of these parts."

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 7, 2010, 10:35 PM   #30
ebusa

This is an excellent big game rifle! I remember seeing that it was in the top 10whitetail deer hunting rifles of all time.

I fell in love with these rifles after using my gramps 760 when I was a kid. I really like the 4 round clips! points naturally, and swing nicely! Gramps was a lefty so he used a pump since they didn't make left handed bolts back in the day.

I found one on gunbroker a little over a year ago. It was bought new in 1955 in Pennsylvania and was put it in the safe, and never came out. Never fired! Sat for over 50years!

I like to hunt with something different and old school! I put a dovetail rear sight blank, new scope and mount, and had trigger work done.

Here's some pics:

1955 .30-06 760 Gamemaster ADL (5 Diamond Forend)

Old June 7, 2010, 10:36 PM   #31
ebusa

more,,,

Old June 7, 2010, 10:53 PM   #32
Stumper

I bought a used 760 for my dad back in 1980. He was neither enamoured nor repulsed by a slide action but we were both fond of the 30/06. 150 grain loads are all we ever sighted it in with.-About all it ever shot were my handloads and the gun isn't picky-it puts just about all loads close to the same zero and happily creates 1-1.5 inch 3 shot clusters at 100yards

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old June 8, 2010, 07:41 AM   #33
moosemike

Beautiful 760 EBUSA but you have the BDL not the ADL. The ADL was more plain and the 5 diamond checkering is a sure sign of a BDL.
Old June 8, 2010, 09:05 AM   #34
briandg

Okay, you guys have convinced me that the accuracy was close to that of the 700. I said 2 inch groups, you're reporting 1 to 1-1/2 inch groups. I still believe that off the shelf and random ammo is going to result in 2 inch groups, just like a typical bolt sometimes gives, until you find your ammo choice.

I said right up front that they were great rifles, that they felt and functioned well in my experience, and I'd carry one on a hunt in my particular region with no worries. The 742 that my father carried was a charming rifle, once you took off the scope. I almost shoot it better with iron sights than a scope, and a peep sight would be an improvement on a scope, possibly.

That rifle is an iconic piece, IMO, akin to the 94 in 30-30, and a better rifle, IMO.
Old June 8, 2010, 10:43 AM   #35
dgludwig

Quote:
It was bought new in 1955 in Pennsylvania
Nice looking rifle, ebusa. I would point out that, although scoping one certainly can be done, albeit with a little neck craning; those fifty-era 760s were stocked optimally for iron sights due to the relatively low drop on the comb of the stock. My early fifties 30-06 Gamemaster has a Williams FoolProof receiver sight on it and it has accounted for more than a few whitetails over the past half century or so. It still gets used every fall, either in Michigan cedar swamps or in Pennsylvania timber/brush country.
Though I have never gotten 1" moa groups with it, my 760 will fire three shot groups @ 100 yards, measuring under 2" all day long with Remington 180 grain Core-Lok factory ammunition and the aforementioned Williams sight.
Regarding the trigger pull, mine gives way at 5.5 to 6 pounds of pressure. No, it's not an Anschutz but it breaks fairly crisp, with just a trace of overtravel-certainly a whole lot nicer than the trigger on a Winchester Model 88 that I used to have!
Old June 8, 2010, 10:52 AM   #36
ebusa

The ADL rifle I have came drilled and tapped for a scope, and they changed the stock not to have the drop comb that is mentioned like the standard 760 (Tootsie Roll) forend. Those were not drilled in tapped from the factory.

Some good info: http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/M760N
Old June 8, 2010, 11:04 AM   #37
dgludwig

Interesting and informative link, ebusa. My comment about 50's era stocks was not intended for your rifle, only those made when the 760 was introduced; the ones you aptly dubbed with the "Tootsie Roll" forend. The one I have has the vertically grooved forearm and was not drilled/tapped for scope mounts. I should have been more specific.
Old June 8, 2010, 12:13 PM   #38
GeauxTide

Great truck guns. Think of them like an 870. Use 150s and get used to the crappy trigger.
Old June 8, 2010, 03:10 PM   #39
SAUMHUNTER79

I've seen a family friend drop a mule deer at 350 yds with his old battered 760 chambered in 270, one shot was all it took so his must be pretty damn accurate.
Old June 8, 2010, 05:03 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

A friend of mine in high school had parents who were hunters.

As a gift to them both, Ozzie (yep, that's his name!) purchased sometime in the 1950s a matched set of 760s, consecutive serial numbers, in .244 Remington. I'm pretty sure they're the 5 diamonds, as well.

I've been after him to sell them to me for years. It's a running joke at this point.

Old June 8, 2010, 05:54 PM   #41
BusGunner007

I'm trying to find a thread about these rifles from another forum.
When I get it, I'll post it here. It had tons of info and pix you might like to see.
"I'll be back..."
Old June 8, 2010, 06:05 PM   #42
BusGunner007

Here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...pics/3841887/1

And, thanks to the member of that forum who guided me to the link.

ETA: Might also be this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...pics/2371681/1

Last edited by BusGunner007; June 9, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:03 PM   #43
sc928porsche

Im fond of the 760BDL that I got in 1964 chambered in 30-06. I installed a 3-9 bushnell scope on it. I found it to be quite accurate. The only "improvement" I made to it was to install a recoil pad on it instead of the plastic buttplate.

It works quite well with 150 and 180 grain factory ammo. One thing you will notice about the rifle is its light weight. When fired in 06 chambering, the recoil is a bit sharp, but the recoil pad took care of that.
Old June 9, 2010, 12:16 PM   #44
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a 'thing' for the .300 Savage cartridge.

One of these days I'm going to add a 760 in .300 Savage to my 99, 722, and 81.

Old June 15, 2010, 02:17 PM   #45
williamd

Mike I. --- I also like the 300 Savage. My Uncle gave me one years ago in M99. Not pretty but functional. I bought - by accident - from a lady who was selling of Dad's gun after the had passed. She had a custon Mauser with a very nice Fajen stock, Timney trigger, Shilen bbl and an old Bushnell ScopeChief in 300. I bought it sight unseen only to find that it was not the 300WM I expected but a 300 Savage! I thought I will shoot this and sell it. WRONG! That thing shoots sub-MOA with my loads and with Fed Premium! And, the 300S can be stoked up pretty good in a bolt gun.

Though I favor bolt guns, my fav M99 is my 22-250. Bought it with Bushnell ScopeChief, too.

Oh, M740 and M760. I use 150-160 (up to 180 at times) bullets and 58g of H4831. I have been able to sneak in 1 MOA but a bit over that is okay for what I do. For long range I go to a7MMM.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:07 AM   #46
Berserker

Old thread, came across on search and wanted to help next guy.

2 types of tunes on these. On mine you need to heat up the red locktite and put 3/16 punch through. I drilled out for 1/4. But had to sand the burrs off.

Replace the original and it is quite again. After 100 sind rounds started moving again. Thinking should lube it for range work.

Putting action back in and reassembly is tricky. I put it back in without everything on the tube. The pulled slightly apart to put it all back together.

I don't have spotting scope. But 3rd shot seems to open a little. First two are inch or less, on my starting loads.

I am having trouble deciding on next load with imr 4350, they were all similar.

Hunter, which is higher pressure caused problems and stuck cases.

What I don't like is you have to rack it hard or will fail to fire. Also can be funny feeding if laying on bench or odd posistion.

I like to load one in chamber first, for hunting.

They also replaced with dust cover with plastic to quite it up. Midway has parts.

I just put timney trigger in, dropped from 4.5 to 2.5lbs. I don't know if that was original. Since light for the era. No creep. I'd be tempted to just replace spring.
Old April 30, 2017, 11:53 AM   #47
Gunplummer

Are you full length resizing your brass? Many people came to me with the "Won't fire all the time" problem. If you neck size with these guns, you will have trouble with full lock up.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:16 PM   #48
dgludwig

Quote:
If you neck size with these guns, you will have trouble with full lock up.
Very true and this admonition is apt with some rifles other than the Model 760 pump, including a lot of lever-actions and semi-autos.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:27 PM   #49
Berserker

New brass, full size. The Hunter loads that jammed were getting toward max, but still below.

I had some neck sized out of 700, that shot fine.

They say you can't neck size and for brass for pumps, not sure why that would be true..

IMR4350 shot well though nothing really stood out. Nothing was crimped. I may see what effect crimping has.

Also the necks may need chamfering. The bullets scrape on full length sized brass. Went in fine on neck size.

I am cuious effects of using fires brass. I bought hundreds of 30-06 brass, so haven't reused yet.
Old April 30, 2017, 01:29 PM   #50
Berserker

But I had no problem with the 4 neck sized for a different rifle.
Closed Thread