The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 2, 2007, 09:17 AM   #1
buckmoxie

Remington ER 1816 Flintlock Commemorative (1995)

Does anybody know the true story about Remington Arms ER 1816 Flintlock commemorative rifle? I managed to purchase one back in 2002,it was lost in a corner of a New Hampshire Gun shop. The serial number is ER 1816-0626. I wrote to remington, several attemts were made to try an get a certificate of Authenticity. On the third try someone remembered that they had these rifles made for them, I believe in 1995 it was suppose to Commemorate 179 years of Remington making guns. I don't know why they didn't wait for the 200TH Anniversary! I believe that the HATFIELD Muzzleloading Company made these for Remington, they are very simular in design. Hatfield is no longer, and I believe the Remington Arms Historian familiar with this production, is no longer either. The Rifle looks great, but with several flaws, such as a poorly finished lockplate, the frizzen down flush against the Pan was bevelled to say the least and loose fitting.After Two shots were fired, the sear broke. I contacted Remington who advised me that they have NO REPLACEMENT PARTS! Thanks to Dixie Gun works, I was able to purchase a simular Ketland style lock and fit it, so I could use this gun. With some carefull Gunsmithing I was able to fit into the stock, without modifying the stock. I would like to know how many were made ? and hear from anyone who might own one, to see if the quality of their is simular to mine. Any info would be appreciated.
Old August 2, 2007, 09:57 AM   #2
arcticap

buckmoxie,
Because that model might not be too common, let me list other forums where you could ask about that Remington.

The first suggestion would be to ask under "Contemporary Longrifle Collecting" at:

http://www.americanlongrifles.com/am...-BBS-frame.htm

The second suggestion would be to follow my personal referral link and ask under "Flintlock Rifles":

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fu...referral/4225/

There's probably other forums to try if these don't produce any results.
Old March 4, 2008, 12:26 AM   #3
Pocket_Water

Remington 1816 flintlock rifle

Hi buckmoxie. I also have a Remington 1816 RH flintlock rifle which I've never fired but would like to shoot the rifle. Because of the problems I've heard, I'd really like to replace the lock with a better quality lock. Can you please tell me which lock you purchased from Dixie Gun Works and exactly what "gunsmithing" was required to make it work? Thanks very much!
Old March 4, 2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Hawg

Pocket Water, you might want to rethink that, especially if you have the box and papers. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=92818576
Old March 4, 2008, 09:27 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I remember seeing one at Illion and wanting one myself. My dealer couldn't find one though so I never got one. With the benefit of hindsight, it's only good as a collector's item and shouldn't be a shooter. If you want a shoooter, have someone make one. Many modern blackpowder gunsmiths can do better than what Remington offered.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:28 PM   #6
Pocket_Water

Hawg Haggen, yes, I have box, all papers; the rifle is mint. I've been watching those Gun Broker auctions. My rifle is actually much nicer than the one pictured in that auction; mine has MUCH better wood. Personally, I think that guy's a bit greedy with his reserve. I'd have been happy with some of the high-bids he's received. I thought about selling but I really like the rifle and it's a hassle selling a longrifle on-line. Shipping costs will be expensive and I'm not even sure of regulations regarding muzzleloaders; can an individual ship a muzzleloader to another individual? I might just pursue selling mine, not sure yet.
Old March 4, 2008, 02:47 PM   #7
Hawg

The reserve might be high but it got a bid of 1,650.00. Shipping shouldn't be too bad. Most states allow shipping muzzleloaders to individuals but check to be sure.
Old March 8, 2010, 05:41 AM   #8
chookster

Remington ER 1816 Flintlock Commemorative (1995)

Read my article "Remington ER 1816 Commemorative Flintlock" about quality control of these Remington flintlocks.

Does anyone know if they were made in Remington's custom shop or elsewhere?

Is there a connection to the defunct Hatfield Rifle Company?

Please add comments at http://freetrappers.org.au/2009/12/0...-2009/#respond.

Last edited by chookster; March 8, 2010 at 05:51 AM.
Old March 8, 2010, 02:15 PM   #9
robhof

robhof

Muzzleloaders can even be shipped by USPS. I've also seen a few of those Rem's on auction and even one in a gunshop, where they had a price of $2000 and beside it was a fine made L & R kit flinter for a mere $1500. Unless you're into collecting safe queens; I'd auction it off and get a fine shooter that will also retain it's value, even if shot, as long as it's cared for.