The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 24, 2017, 01:58 PM   #26
Model12Win

I've always wanted a "thuddy thuddy" "Brooklyn assault rifle" but .30 WCF is not a cheap round if you don't reload.
Old May 24, 2017, 04:07 PM   #27
ThomasT

Thats why I promote reloading in so many of my post. Reloading not only saves money but let's you customize your loads from small game to full power loads.

I built my reloading kit over several years as different tools were needed until I have all I need now. Plus I have been stocking brass, bullets and powder for years. Ammo shortages have no affect on me.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:14 PM   #28
Blindstitch

They must be doing something new with 30-30 ammo because this is the second time this week I've heard someone say it's expensive.

I was just at the store and Winchester powerpoints 150 grain boxes of 20 were $15 and the same in 30-06 was $20.

I may reload but always buy the Winchester powerpoints for deer hunting with the 30-30.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:20 PM   #29
dgludwig

I agree, Blindstitch. Factory 30-30 ammunition has always been as cheap as any other typical "deer hunting" cartridges in my neck of the woods. Remington 170 grain "Core-Lokt" bullets, however, have been my preference for whitetails over the years when hunting with my Winchester Model 94 carbine, chambered for the .30-30 cartridge.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:59 PM   #30
shootbrownelk

Hornady makes their Leverevolution soft polymer pointed tip bullets in .32 Special. It's not that expensive. Remmy Core-Locts are $20 a box or so. Hornadys are about the same or a touch more. I have my late Father's 94 in .32 Special. Cabela's usually has the ammo in stock.
Old May 24, 2017, 05:59 PM   #31
ThomasT

Remember when Walmart used to run Winchester and Remington 30-30 ammo on sale before deer season for around $7.00 a box? That's where a lot of my brass came from. I would buy 5 boxes at a time. I couldn't reload it for that. I loved shooting my 30-30.
Old May 24, 2017, 08:34 PM   #32
Gunplummer

If you shoot so much 30-30 that you think $15-$16 dollars a box is expensive, order it in bulk online. Then you can sell half the case to your buddys for $18 a box. I hate WALMART, but even they don't charge $20 for a box of 30-30. Where is this nonsense coming from?
Old May 24, 2017, 08:41 PM   #33
Hawg

Quote:
I hate WALMART, but even they don't charge $20 for a box of 30-30. Where is this nonsense coming from?
Federal Power Shok is 14.00 per 20 rounds at WM here and my 30-30 loves it.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:19 AM   #34
dgludwig

I love WalMart.
Old May 25, 2017, 08:55 PM   #35
ShootistPRS

Do any of you reloaders load "pointy" bullets in your 30-30? My brother had one that he would load a round into the camber and a second round in the tube magazine. He liked the 125 and 130 grain spitzer bullets for deer. He was quite ethical using head and neck shots only.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:06 PM   #36
Blindstitch

I load pointy bullets. I wasn't reloading anything in the 30 caliber area besides 30-30 and was given 500 random 30 caliber projectiles.

I treat my 30-30 as a single shot when using pointy bullets but there were several bolt actions out there in 30-30. But if you mention pointed bullets and 30-30 in the reloading section watch the guys freak out about chain fires before you even mention single shot or bolt action.
Old May 25, 2017, 09:26 PM   #37
ShootistPRS

Yep, my 30-30 is a single shot with a 24 inch barrel. I don't hunt with it but it is a "hunting" rifle. It has been known to shoot sub 1/2" groups with my hunting loads but 3/4" is more typical. I use very light bullets in it 110 to 130 grain varmint bullets an limit my shooting to a two inch point blank range which goes out to 170 yards or so with all bullets. Shooting head shots on coyotes is easy.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:08 PM   #38
Deaf Smith

My favorite deer rifle... yes a 30/30.

When I was 16-17 my mother traded a refrigerator to my uncle for a Marlin 336 Texan carbine. When I saw it I just about died... took her a while but finally I got a REAL deer rifle (my cut down Spanish 93 Mauser from Gibson Discount Center was not a 'real deer rifle' you see.)

Got my first five buck deer with that gun. Well over the years I traded it off, but about a year ago I got the hanker for another one. Mine was made in 1967.. just about the age of my first Texan. Skinner Minimalist aperture sight and a blued saddle ring and it's fully operational.

Deaf
Old May 26, 2017, 01:00 AM   #39
ShootistPRS

Deaf Smith,
That's a nice looking gun! I gotta ask, do you have the saddle to go with that ring?
I like the looks of lever action carbine... maybe some day I will buy one. It will be after I fill in my bolt collection with a 40, 45, and 50 caliber so I have at least one gun in steps of .05 from 25 to 50. and then I have to fill out the metric from 6 to 10mm. Oh, and handguns sets to match the rifles in the same calibers (not the same cartridges though)
Old May 26, 2017, 01:44 AM   #40
Gunplummer

It has been pointed out many times on this forum that pointed 30-30 bullets in a tube fed lever action being more accurate is nothing but a gun writer myth. The action itself will not let it show any noticeable difference. It is a bad idea anyway for hunting. Most pointed .308 bullets are not designed to open up at 30-30 velocities.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:21 AM   #41
ThomasT

Quote:
But if you mention pointed bullets and 30-30 in the reloading section watch the guys freak out about chain fires before you even mention single shot or bolt action.
I won't freak out because of an experiment I did many years ago. I took a remington 150 spitzer pointy bullet and primed a 30-30 case and drilled a hole in my work bench for the case to fit into.

Then I held that "pointy" bullet with a pair of pliers and placed the bullet against the primer and hammered away. I beat that bullet up so bad it had to be thrown away. I never did get it to set off the primer in the case. I then took the primed case and dropped it in my marlin and fired it to make sure the primer was still good.

So I don't worry about pointed bullets in a tube magazine. Like gunplummer stated most pointy bullets are designed for higher velocities anyway. But you can get lighter weight spitzers designed for specialty pistols like the TC contenders that will work at lower velocity. But most do not have the needed cannelure and on some the ogive will be inside the case mouth to keep the OAL so the round will cycle in the action.

Besides if you think you need the extra range a spitzer will give then you will most likely need higher velocity to go with it. And the 30 Winchester lever guns are not about long range. They are about light, handy guns with rounds suited to 200 yards or less. But they can be used at longer range but you will need a scope or better sighting system for a humane shot on game. My bud killed a deer just over 300 yards away but his 30-30 Marlin has a Leupold 2x7 scope on it. He held just over the backed and killed a buck with a back of the lungs hit.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:23 PM   #42
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I gotta ask, do you have the saddle to go with that ring?
Well actually here is what happened. I ran into a mint condition Texan that had no saddle right (just the hole in the receiver where it was supposed to be.) Made in 1969. Got it cheap!

Well the one you see in the photo I got later. It had a gold saddle ring. Bought the gun, put the gold ring on the mint one for collecting, and then ordered the blue one to fill that hole.

The 1967 one, being well used, became my hunting gun. Yes two Texans!

Wish I could find a Marlin 336 Marauder in .35 Remington! I've handled one but never owned or shot one.

Deaf
Old May 26, 2017, 10:46 PM   #43
deserted

In 1969 I worked in the sporting goods department at JC Penney's. As a 19 year old gun nut, felt I'd died and gone to heaven. We sold those Buffalo Bill Commemoratives like hotcakes at $79. I got one with my discount for $73 and gave it to my FIL. Rifles and carbines. Always liked those octagon barrels. When even younger I'd go over to a friend's house to watch Outer Limits on TV. I didn't care about the show so much as they'd let me hold their old 26", octagon barreled Model 94 in 25-35. The family had killed a lot of deer in the Ruby Mountains with it over three generations. I still remember it as one of the coolest rifles I've ever known.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:39 PM   #44
44 AMP
Staff

I grew up hunting the northeast woods, and "back in the day" the first thing any "smart" hunter did when they got a saddle ring carbine was to take the saddle ring OFF. Most threw them away.

Some of us kept them on the gun and just wound them with a rawhide thong, so that when they did flop and strike the receiver there was no metal on metal "clink" sound to spook game.

I can see the sense on horseback, but on foot, in the deep woods, the ring is no benefit and can be a detriment on a stalk, unless "muffled".
Old June 3, 2017, 01:42 PM   #45
ThomasT

In post #10 I listed 3 winchester 30-30s and now all are sold and none went for the crazy prices winchesters were selling for a few years ago. I think the bubble on these guns has burst.
Old June 5, 2017, 09:01 PM   #46
Deaf Smith

Oh, no no no 44 AMP! That saddle ring is TACTICAL!

Yes, just get a sling and loop it through the saddle ring (yes a 'one point' sling system.)

You can walk through the woods with it that way. When your arms get tired just let it hang down by the saddle ring. Works very well.

Deaf
Old June 5, 2017, 09:24 PM   #47
Berserker

If you want to let it hang, get a safari sling. Boone Packer is one. Sorta like a guitar, they also make military style, with barrel down.

Problem is easier to get snow in the barrel. But I am not sure I will ever sling one over my shoulder again. Maybe if I learn how to use one to steady shot.
Old June 5, 2017, 11:08 PM   #48
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Problem is easier to get snow in the barrel.
Tape the muzzle!
Old June 5, 2017, 11:15 PM   #49
lefteye

I suspect the OP observed Winchester Model 94 .30-30 rifles since the Model 92 was never chambered in .30-30 (I believe.) I have a great Model 92 in .25-20 and will not part with it while I am alive.
Old June 6, 2017, 01:27 PM   #50
Deaf Smith

Today fired my Marlin 336 with handloaded 170s and LeveRevolution powder.

Used max charge so it gets the 170 at 2300 fps. For once the benchrest recoil hurt some! Standing was no biggie as one roll with the recoil.

25 yard group of 1/2 an inch or less and spot on with the sights.

Shot my Yugo folding stock AK at the same time. 25 yard groups from bench rest were about an inch using Wolf Ruskie ammo. Since the gun weighs more than my 336, is less powerful, and gas operated it was just easy to shoot. And the Yugo trigger is so much better that when standing the Yugo outshot my 336!

Still as long as I kneel/sit/go prone the 336 will outshoot the Yugo and hit much harder.

Deaf