The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 24, 2017, 02:13 PM   #1
11B3V

What's it worth?

So, I have been trying to purchase a Remington 700 from somebody through an online website. He didn't know much about it. I was able to enhance the photo to get the serial number and I called Remington. They stated that it is a 1989 Remington 700 Police with 24" heavy varmint barrel. The caliber is .308, and the twist rate is 1/12. The stock appears to be a nice one like an HS or B&C, but the lady I spoke to said that they were the manufacturer because she couldn't find anything other wise. Does anybody have any idea of what trigger was on this and the value of This?

Realistically I was chasing after a Remington 700 5r with 24", 1/11.25 twist with an HS stock and 40x trigger. (Pretty much the same that I used in sniper school and afghanistan. The rifle I found isn't quite what I wanted, but isn't too far off. Any info would be great.
Old April 24, 2017, 02:26 PM   #2
50 shooter

What are they asking?

Check Gun Broker, Guns America or any of the other auction sites to get an idea of what a used rifle like that is worth. That or just throw out a price and see what they say or if they'll take it.

Remington usually has put Shilen triggers in the 700's but with more lawyer restrictions on them. Swapping out one isn't that hard, you can probably find out how to do it on YouTube and adjust it at the same time. That will save you time and money and help you learn more about your rifle.

If you're okay with the stock just keep it and paint it or add to it so that you like it even more. Or you can swap it out for a newer version, something that can add a detachable box magazine...

Just some options that are out there that you can do yourself and will add value to your rifle in case you decide to sell it in the future.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 24, 2017, 02:47 PM   #3
11B3V

I checked online on sites and the only ones I can currently find are the newer 20" and 26". Like the post 1990 ones. This was the year prior so I figured there might be added value there?
Old April 24, 2017, 02:57 PM   #4
50 shooter

Depending on how they're set up, a new one can be from around $750-$1,700.

The one you're looking at is almost 30 years old and there's nothing about it that makes it a rare or collectable version. Make an offer between $400-500 for it, any more than that doesn't make any sense if you're planning on adding upgrades to it.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 24, 2017, 03:34 PM   #5
old roper

This is one that has 40x trigger

https://www.gunsamerica.com/93687360...Police-308.htm

It's hard to find 40x trigger
NRA Life Member
Old April 24, 2017, 03:45 PM   #6
50 shooter

Check Gun Broker, just about every one listed has a 40X trigger on it.
No time for rearranging.
Old April 24, 2017, 03:58 PM   #7
11B3V

Yes, but they are all 20" or 26" now for the 700P. This is a 24" and has very limited information on the web about it. I don't see age being a huge issue, an M24 SWS (just the rifle, not the kit) I've seen go for $3000-$3500 and they weren't much different then the current 5r milspec 700's with the exception being the M24 was long action for later conversion and Remington was still using the 40x triggers.

I'm fairly confident that this 700P that I found is indeed inside an HS precision stock, and almost certain it is a 40x. Obviously somewhere along the line, Remington made a transition for how they were manufacturing their L.E tactical rifles.

I could tell from the pics that it was a nice 700, but was skeptical because of the lack of barrel markings. But Remington confirmed my thoughts. I'm debating with myself because I really wanted 1/11.25 twist and 5r. I know "why not just buy a 5r then?"... well because they're $1500 and this one I found is $600. I'm still debating it, but if I get it, i hope to talk him down.
Old April 25, 2017, 07:25 AM   #8
old roper

When I posted it's hard to find 40x trigger. Rem made 2 triggers for the 40x and this is one of them

http://team40x.com/articles/trigger.html
NRA Life Member
Old April 25, 2017, 09:44 PM   #9
jmr40

Lots of people put aftermarket B&C or HS Precision stocks on guns. They are considered mid-level stocks and don't really enhance re-sale value. I'd consider it a project gun that I was going to build on and shoot for $400. Truthfully, you can buy a new rifle that out of the box will most likely out shoot it for under $500 from several manufacturers.

Winston Churchill
Old April 27, 2017, 11:49 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

Came out of the factory with a 26" barrel and H-S Precision stock. According to Remington's LEO site. No 24" barrels on a Standard M700P.
Except on their M40XS. It had a 24" barrel in a McMillian A3 or A5 series stock. Adjustable length-of-pull and comb height butt stock.
Somebody may have been playing with it if it's has the regular H-S stock and a 24" barrel.