The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 12, 2010, 10:24 PM   #26
Ken O

Mike, glad you had a good time. I hope you picked your brass because sooner or later you will reload. Primers are about .03, you use <6gr. of powder (.45acp) there is 7000 gr in a pound. I cast my own bullets so they are close to free. Even buying the bullets, I doubt you would have more than $10 for a box of 50 of .45s. I have no idea what commercial ammo cost because I never buy it.
Old December 13, 2010, 11:52 AM   #27
lashlaroe

I picked up as much brass as I could. Things were a bit rushed (weather issues) and there were 11 guys in my squad, not all of whom understood or cared about making sure reloaders got their brass back. So I estimate I only ended up with 50% of what I started with. Had I been shooting 9mm, it would have been easy to come home with my shot amount.

The range is a lost brass range that collects in brass buckets, but they understand reloader's needs and let you take as many as you shot, your own if you can find 'em, other's if you can't.

I expect to get back into reloading soon, as times are a bit tough right now...and yet I really enjoy this sport, so will need to reload to continue to enjoy it.

In any case, I had such a good time that I'm working hard to get my friend to make the next match with me. Heh, heh...it's insidious that way.

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 20, 2010, 09:14 PM   #28
Snobal

I shot my first IDPA match last weekend....

It will not be the last....

WOW! That was a hoot!

Did it with my 3" SP101 and a couple of speed loaders.

Guess I'll be getting something that shoots more than 5 shots without a reload.
Old December 21, 2010, 12:14 PM   #29
lashlaroe

Snobal,
Glad you had a good time! It sure is fun, isn't it?

I can see how easy it is to get sucked into buying tons of new equipment and guns to be able to compete better. I've already found myself thinking those thoughts. However, I'm also thinking that perhaps first I should use my daily carry arm a few times to improve my abilities with it before I go chasing scores. I believe that was the original intention of the IDPA to start with.

I think that I will shoot my Kahr P9 next time as it is my usual daily carry, even though I prefer to shoot my Commander in .45. I know that my Kahr won't get me in the top scoring arena against all those larger high-capacity Glocks and others preferred for competition, but that's not why I decided to try IDPA anyway.

If I get as sucked into this IDPA stuff as I think I may, then there will be plenty of time in the future for the pure competitive aspect anyway.

Have fun and good shootin'!

As much as I believe that there is good in every person, I'm not so naive as to think that all people are essentially good. Evil and evil people exist. Deny that fact at your own risk.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:14 PM   #30
CatsEye

Quote:
If I get as sucked into this IDPA stuff as I think I may, then there will be plenty of time in the future for the pure competitive aspect anyway.
IDPA is a blast, but you are right about waiting to get new stuff. After several months you will have been around long enough to actually know what you want. I shot the gun I had, an XD40, for the first year. By that time I had seen and shot enough to know what I wanted, a M&P Pro 9mm. I have been happy with the decision since the first day.