The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 2, 2020, 10:18 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

ruger american rimfire compact 22lr

So I picked one up used for a decent price. The crown had a bunch of carbon buildup so I'm guessing they sold it because it wasn't shooting well and it only had the factory iron sights. I added a EGW 20moa rail and a Leupold VX-freedom 2-7x33. Got it zeroed up today, it shot fantastically well for me. I was only at 25yds, shooting cci minimag round nose, but when I did my part it was one one ragged hold on 3 and 5 shot groups, about 0.81moa accoording to my target app. The action runs smooth and it does not take too much force to close the bolt up. I ordered the youth length of pull comb with takes about 2in off so the kids should be able to shoot it with minimal issues. It takes standard 10/22 mags. The trigger was good but not amazing, accu trigger type. The muzzle is threaded but at this point I don't think I will put anything on the muzzle. It is a 22 and just really does not need it, I like the clean look. Over all I am very happy I got it, great little shooter.
Old July 3, 2020, 12:57 AM   #2
stagpanther

nice!
Old July 3, 2020, 02:15 PM   #3
98 220 swift

I bought one a few years ago for my son. I got a good price on it new. I believe around $200. I put a 3-9 scope on it and it works well. It wont shoot as well as my cz 452 but it shoots plenty well enough. He likes it.
Old July 3, 2020, 03:31 PM   #4
mxsailor803

Super hard to beat the Americans for value and accuracy.
Old July 3, 2020, 04:07 PM   #5
jmr40

I've had great luck with the centerfire Americans, but the American 22 rimfire was no more accurate than a typical 10-22 and mine wouldn't reliably eject empties unless the bolt was pulled back briskly. I sold it and upgraded to a Tikka T1x.

Hopefully you'll have better luck, they have a lot of potential.

Winston Churchill
Old July 3, 2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
I've had great luck with the centerfire Americans, but the American 22 rimfire was no more accurate than a typical 10-22 and mine wouldn't reliably eject empties unless the bolt was pulled back briskly. I sold it and upgraded to a Tikka T1x.

Hopefully you'll have better luck, they have a lot of potential.
I have put a little over 100 rnds through it so far, not one single failure to eject. I have had and shot a couple 10-22s over the years, so far my american is more accurate.
Old July 3, 2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 220 swift View Post
I bought one a few years ago for my son. I got a good price on it new. I believe around $200. I put a 3-9 scope on it and it works well. It wont shoot as well as my cz 452 but it shoots plenty well enough. He likes it.
I have a CZ 452 in 17HMR, absolutely amazing rifle, will shoot 1/2in at 100 no problem, its just more expensive to feed. I really considered getting a 452 in 22lr but decided on the american. The primary reason was the ability to swap the comb and length of pull so my kids can shoot it more easily. The other reason was that I really like the ruger mags, they just run.
Old July 3, 2020, 08:13 PM   #8
Double K

Congratulations

The lower end american is a pretty good value, imo the high end models don't have the accuracy to justify spending 450.+ on one.
Anywhere in the 2-300. range and it's a great starter rifle.
I like rifles that come with test targets, it means the company takes accuracy seriously and they want to make sure nothing gets out the door that's not right.
Even good airguns are coming with test targets these days!
Old July 4, 2020, 07:51 AM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I have a Savage B22 with a heavy barrel that is so accurate it’s boring to shoot. If the Ruger American shoots this good it’s a steal. 10 shots at 50yds 1/2” is easy, 75yds 3/4” no sweat, at 100yds it does open up to a little over 1”. This is with a cheap little Bushnell scope with a BDC reticle that actually works good for practical shooting, but I do run the dial for actual target shooting. If the dots in the BDC were smaller though they would actually be right on even for good accurate target shooting. The only annoying thing with the Savage is the mag is a PITA to load and probably about one in two hundred rounds will fail to extract.
Old July 4, 2020, 09:55 AM   #10
stagpanther

You guys have inspired me--I'm taking a break from my gun projects and having me some rimfire fun today!
Old July 4, 2020, 06:00 PM   #11
stagpanther

No love for the the marlin 917??

I bought mine at wallyworld for $125--what's to lose for the price for the price of a couple of boxes of ammo? My plans were for a relaxed day of rimfire shooting were dashed when one of the landowners showed up unannounced with a Christiansen 700 adl 25-06 and asked me to sight it in for him--how could I refuse?? Just when I was ready to go the phone rang and it was a friend inviting me to a lobster cookout--how could I refuse that? So I only got to squeeze off one magazine of hornady's 17 gr v-max's (it's 7 shots). This was using a bushnell 3x9 scope which IMO is one of the worst scopes I've ever been bungled with--I'll have to upgrade and see if I can tighten things up.

happy 4th everyone!

This rifle is amazing for what you get at it's price--it must be a loss-leader.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17hmr hornady.jpg (138.8 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; July 5, 2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:03 PM   #12
Double K

It's always amazed me how accurate 17hmr guns and ammunition are.
Old July 4, 2020, 06:16 PM   #13
stagpanther

Yup!! even makes me look like I know what I'm doing. LOL

Last edited by stagpanther; July 4, 2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old July 5, 2020, 06:18 AM   #14
jetinteriorguy

I shot a friends 17hmr last summer doing a little gopher hunting. Despite his poor scope setup and just shooting off the hood of his truck I managed to shoot a couple dozen or so in about an hour. Longest shot I made was 93 paces. What a blast, I haven’t done any gopher hunting in over twenty years and hadn’t seen my old friend in over 30 years. Best day ever.
Old July 5, 2020, 06:59 AM   #15
reinert

I’ve got a standard RAR, and put a Nikon 4x rimfire scope on top. Great .22, and it really likes the CCI standard vel. shells. I have experienced the ejection glitch JM40 mentioned, but working the bolt briskly between shots has taken care of that for me. I’ve considered getting a Boyd’s stock replacement for it, but not a high priority for me, for now. Super accurate .22 for my needs, at a decent price.