The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 13, 2002, 02:01 PM   #1
yankytrash

W-w-w-w-w-w-w-wish I had a 'lectric b-b-b-b-b-b-blank-k-k-k-k-kt...

Just got back from scoutin my spot for migratory bird season forthcoming (almost!!!). Threw the canoe in the water (I live on the river), paddled up stream aways. Wind was tryin to push the canoe out into the big water, so paddlin was rough.

Managed to get blown about 1500yd into big water before I decided to bail. Don't think the Chesapeake Bay is too comfy in a canoe this time of year. Jumped into the ice-cold water, clothes and all. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! FREEEZINGGGGGGG!!!!

Sucks I was usin the neighbor's canoe, or I'da left the friggin' thing out there to float to Florida for all I cared.

Just got back. Freezin my butt off. Might be semi-hypothermic. Bottom jaw won't stop shakin. Fingers shakin too. Smokes got swamped, so no nice warm smoke to put in lungs at the moment.

I hate ducks.
Old November 13, 2002, 02:54 PM   #2
Guyon

You don't need an electric blanket. You need a trolling motor.

Guess you experienced some significant "shrinkage." Good luck thawing out.
Old November 13, 2002, 03:20 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ah, yes, Grasshopper. Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. Now you know: When windmotor stronger than paddlemotor, either stay home or get gasmotor and big-enough boat.

Glad you survived yourself.

, Art
Old November 13, 2002, 03:23 PM   #4
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Glad ya made it out OK. Even this dumb coonass will put a trolling motor on his priogue at times and will even stay out of it if its too rough! (amazing..............a coonass using his head)

PS: Did ya see any ducks?
Old November 13, 2002, 04:45 PM   #5
Larry Ashcraft

I know how ya feel...

I fell in the Arkansas river once at 7:00 a.m. It was 0 degrees. I walked about a half mile back to the truck, went home, changed, and went back out (young and stupid).
Old November 13, 2002, 05:08 PM   #6
yankytrash

Trollin' motor? We doan need no stinkin' trollin motor! The man that convinced me to go bird shootin in a couple weeks is gonna help me out tomorrow by takin the stern oar. Ayy matees, wind be damned, we're gonna make it next time!!

PS, found the secret roosting spot in the water for the Canadian geese. Might need hip waders to fetch'm, but there's plenty for all who come with me in a few weeks. Ducks I saw so far were all trashy, no eaters; but where there's ducks, there's more ducks. Might not get no deer this year, but the freezer packs with birds just as fine.
Old November 13, 2002, 05:23 PM   #7
Handloader

I think you Yankees are nuts....Ice cold water and swimin just don't match. First of all a canoe ain't good for nothin but gettn your butt wet. if you are goin out in cold weather get a real boat. I don't know maybe you yankee boys are alright. Must be a blonde thing. As for me this old fat southern redneck trys to stay away from swimin in the winter. Sorry guy's I just could not resist
Old November 13, 2002, 05:32 PM   #8
yankytrash

Ya, but don't Okies eat chicken toes?

Old November 13, 2002, 05:35 PM   #9
brownlow

You don't need a bigger boat or motor. You need a frog suit if your going to be doing laps in the Cheasapeake this time of year.

Glad everything worked out.

WGBV
Old November 13, 2002, 05:39 PM   #10
ENC

One yearmy brothers 870 jammed or locked up or something. It had done this before and the fix required removing the barrel. Dad takes the barrel off and plop right into six feet of freezing cold Grand Lake. Well dad strips to the tighty whithys and goes swimming. He found the barrel on his second try. I was about 14 and got to drive the truck all the way home. Heck where we sim in the summer a spring keeps it about 52 degrees all the time.

Chicken toes didn't you hear we outlawed that two weeks ago.
Old November 13, 2002, 06:20 PM   #11
Larry Ashcraft

...then there was the time I fell in the Arkansas in Brown's Canyon in April. Had to walk the tracks back to the truck, I woulda froze if I had rode in the boat.

Then there was the time when I was 3 years old and I went head first into the Gunnison (I think).

I have this thing about rivers... Or maybe I'm just clumsy.
Old November 14, 2002, 02:19 PM   #12
Poodleshooter

Trolling motors mounted on canoes limit your waterfowling opportunities in VA. A. You have to register it as a real boat and B. You can't take waterfowl from a boat under power. Having no engine is good proof that you "weren't under power" when the wildlife folks come sneaking around.
2 years ago, as I was paddling up the James River, a wildlife officer turned his motorboat towards me for a game check...then noticed that I was paddling a canoe and turned away, ignoring me. Poachers are too lazy to paddle a canoe
Yanky- you should have gotten your geese in the early season. I filled my fridge in September. Had to wade in the nice warm river and play the part of labrador retriever for myself. Paddling up current sucks too
Old November 14, 2002, 07:26 PM   #13
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Shoot ducks from a boat under power? Now we all know that a Cajun would never do that! Somewhere we heard it was illegal.

I had a friend of mine some years back that was an offshore drilling and production supervisor that caught a bunch of ducks in a dead end canal in the Atchafalaya Basin. He had his son-in-law along. He asked said son-in-law if he could shoot as Jerry ran down the ducks.............he had a 150 Merc on a 14 foot plywood hull fassssssssssssssst!

His son-in-law said "sure". After 2 passes throught the ducks, the ducks had all flown away and none were dead after 6 shots (or was it 10? ) Jerry stopped the boat and asked him, "I thought you said you could shoot from a moving boat?"..............his son in law said "yes, but I did not say I could hit anything that way."

I had to do a little salvage work one time to recover a 12 volt Gel cell battery and a 25# thrust Minn Kota they went swimming as the game warden was a coming................still have not (and never will) register my pirogue .
Old November 14, 2002, 10:25 PM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A buddy of mine had a 14' Yellowjacket with about five times too much outboard on it. Now, you can't shoot a gun on Lake Austin. So he'd steer along the edge of the lake at the cattails until ducks were seen; his roommate was responsible for duck-acquisition.

Hit the throttle, hold out the dip-net!

The method worked, although it was bit "messy". That's the word, messy.

But no guns...

, Art
Old November 14, 2002, 10:29 PM   #15
Fred Hansen

M R Ducks.

M R Not!

O S A R!

L I B, M R Ducks!
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore