The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2022, 06:18 PM   #1
bamaranger

CVA Squirrel .32 twist rate surprise

I've owned and tinkered with a .32 CVA Squirrel rifle for many years. While surfing the web today I read commentary on twist rates for the little rifle, and various owners reported a wide range of twists, of which they were quite sure. Rates ranged from 1:32, 1:48, 1:56, the slow twist even substantiated with factory literature.

So I pulled my rifle down from the rack, fitted a tight patch and did some measuring............surprise, surprise. ... 1:56!. I'd always thought the rifle was twisted 1:48!

One of my projects with the .32 has been to acquire a .32 Maxiball mold and shoot conicals through it, thus easing the chore of seating patched balls. My cast Maxii's run about 110 grains. Accuracy has been surprising out to 100 yards, not stellar, but acceptable enough for recreational shooting, and small game as rabbits, groundhogs, and varmints such as coons or coyotes would would be feasible targets to 75 yrs.

Given my new awareness of the slow twist, truly astounded that the Maxi's shoot as well as they do.l
Old April 6, 2022, 12:41 PM   #2
Pahoo

It is fun !!!

Quote:
So I pulled my rifle down from the rack, fitted a tight patch and did some measuring............surprise, surprise. ... 1:56!. I'd always thought the rifle was twisted 1:48!
By my measure, you are doing well and providing good vice to folks. I Have found many factory twist listings to be slightly off but not all that bad. I no longe take twist "listings" as being actual but it makes little difference. As far as a .32-Maxi, I've never seen one but I do have a .36. ......

Really looks like it's working out for you and sounds like you are having a great time. ....

Enjoy and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 6, 2022, 01:52 PM   #3
Deltadart

I have always thought a .32 would be a fun rifle, especially after I acquired a .36 Seneca. However several people told me they foul too quickly due to the small bore, do you find that to be true? Have you any information on a TC Cherokee in .32 as to twist rate?
Old April 6, 2022, 02:19 PM   #4
Pahoo

1:30

Quote:
Have you any information on a TC Cherokee in .32 as to twist rate?
The .32, is listed at 1:30
The .45, is listed at 1:48.

The only reason I settled for the .36, was that it was easier to work and hunt with .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 6, 2022, 06:01 PM   #5
Deltadart

I really like my Senecas especially the .36, just a fun rifle. Also very accurate.
Old April 10, 2022, 11:26 PM   #6
bamaranger

.32 maxiball

I have a genuine T/C full factory box (20) and a partial box as well. Bought my mold 5-6 years ago from "track of the wolf" vendor. I may have gotten one of the last ones they sold, dunno if they're carried now or not.

The T/C .32 rifles , Seneca and Cherokee I think we're twisted a little fast with the tiny Maxi in mind. So too their Patriot pistol, which I believe was also offered in .32. I suspect the faster twist was also helpful in light powder charges, say 10-15 grains of FFF. and a roundball. My .32 load is 25 with ball or Maxi and that may well explain my useful accuracy.

I've experimented a tiny bit with a clipped .32 maxi, dubbing it the" Midi" ball! weight drops to around 70 grains, and length by about a third. I do it by eye and a side cut pliers and a file, consistency is my issue but the experiments show promise. A cuttig jig or a custom mold would help with consistency, but I balk at the price of such a luxury. I only paid $75 bucks for the rifle back in the 1980's.

The wee Maxi's are a joy to load, far simpler than a roundball and cut patch, and a swab between shots allows an easy seating of the slug.

I have to wonder that the traditions .32 Crockett might be a good .32 maxi shooter, given it's faster 1:48 (I think) twist rate.