The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 23, 2022, 02:33 PM   #51
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
LOL, here is a great video of a guy assessing accuracy with a binary trigger. Shot #2 is a negligent discharge, a not so uncommon issue with binary triggers, particularly early on in ownership, but happens later as well to folks.

This is John of Whisper Tactical, FFL, validating accuracy at a whopping 10 yards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcDm6kEFBXc
And how accurate is a m-16 on full auto? M 4 on 3 shot burst? Full auto, or any attempt at simulating it, is not about accuracy; it's about laying down cover fire or saturating an area with bullets.
Old June 23, 2022, 04:36 PM   #52
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
And how accurate is a m-16 on full auto? M 4 on 3 shot burst? Full auto, or any attempt at simulating it, is not about accuracy; it's about laying down cover fire or saturating an area with bullets.
LOL, that is your take away, not the ND or the silliness of testing at 10 yards?
Old June 23, 2022, 08:09 PM   #53
Screwball

I have two; one on a Heat pistol build and the other is a 20” NM with LPVO.

Why? Because machine guns are expensive and binary triggers can be fun. I sort of want to get one of the FRT triggers… but one of the three position ones. Any semi-auto… I want a traditional semi-auto position. If I get that and a “fun” third position… more fun.

Is it something I need? Absolutely not… but it has been argued that I don’t need an AR, correct?

For safety, all guns in peoples hands that don’t respect them are dangerous. Standard Fostech triggers, negligence discharges are actually difficult. It isn’t just boom on pull and boom on release. After the first shot, you have to pull more weight to then release/get the second boom. First time, you’ll probably just do singles… pull… then pull hard/release. I didn’t like it in my pistol, so I upgraded the spring to make the “second pull” less heavy. Awesome splits after that.

For not wanting the second shot, hold the trigger down and swipe the safety to semi or safe. Either one will cancel the second shot. Is it instinctive? I’ll agree it isn’t… but it is a different system that you’d have learn. I had to learn the LEM trigger when I got hired with CBP. I learned 1911s. I’ve learned decockers. While I don’t train on binary triggers, I do qualify on M4A1s. I know that the third position is something that requires more attention… and to be fair, I rarely use it in either setup. To me, if I had to use a binary trigger AR for defense… it would be the same rare instance that I’d flip to that third position.

My truck gun (11.5” AR pistol) and any of the guns I would toss into as a secondary longer (suppressed 9mm AR or TAC-14)… all regular triggers. Zero issue with them. But I don’t like people telling me what I should/shouldn’t have, either.
Old June 23, 2022, 11:24 PM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
But I don’t like people telling me what I should/shouldn’t have, either.
I don't mind people telling me what I should/shouldn't have, that's there opinion, and worth less to me than what I paid for it.

What I detest is people telling me what I CAN/CANNOT have, based on their BS opinions....
Old June 24, 2022, 08:15 AM   #55
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
LOL, that is your take away, not the ND or the silliness of testing at 10 yards?
I would probably get an infraction I told you my true "take away". The PC version is an idiot performed an idiotic test.
Old June 24, 2022, 08:32 AM   #56
Skans

Binary Triggers are fun. Not sure what your objection to them is. They are easy to use safely, and are even more "idiot-proof" than a Glock with a trigger dingus. You just need to practice with it.

In any event, if you use the trigger as intended - i.e. for 2 quick shots, the barrel stays on target and you get a solidly positioned 2nd round to the intended target. Muzzle rise with 2 shots is hardly a factor. Not any different than doing a fast double-tap, but actually easier to control.

I would have a binary trigger in 90 percent of the semi-auto pistols and rifles I own if I could. BTW, they are not legal, or questionably legal, in all 50 states.

Once I got mine installed and running perfectly, I did a few mag dumps just to see what it could do. Fun, yes, but a waste of ammo. Then, once I settled down after the not-so-cheap thrill, I really dialed into using it for 2-shots, seeing how accurate that second shot could be. THAT'S the real advantage of this trigger - easy, smooth, quick double-taps.

If you are strictly a bench-rest shooter, then this device will do nothing for you.