The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 5, 2022, 11:31 PM   #51
Pathfinder45

The only Tokarev pistol I ever shot had a horrendously heavy trigger pull.... musta been well into double digit territory.
Old June 6, 2022, 01:17 AM   #52
jmstr

Pathfinder45- I understand what you are saying.

I didn't care for the trigger on mine, so I yanked it apart and gave it a trigger job- like I've done to most of my handguns. Polishing, stoning, adjusting angle ever so slightly, etc.

I was satisfied when the trigger got to about 5lbs and had a clean break.

The only handguns I've had real trouble with getting the pull under a crisp/clean 7lbs were the Husqvarna 1907 [think- more powerful Colt 1903] and the Femaru M37 [which has design influences from the Colt 1903 design].

Considering this topic is regarding Tokarevs, any TT-33 fans who haven't checked it out should compare a Husqvarna 1907 [Swedish licensed FN 1903] and a Colt 1911 to the Tokarev. The Tok clearly has borrowed from both in the design phase, but I really like the unique twist of having the Fire Control Group drop out for work on it outside the frame. Very cool!
Old June 7, 2022, 03:32 AM   #53
ballardw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
The only Tokarev pistol I ever shot had a horrendously heavy trigger pull.... musta been well into double digit territory.
Was it a Tokarev design with a safety added?

I shot one of the Norinco Tokarevs with a "safety" that the lever will fall out of the pistol. It will still fire but the trigger pull goes from about 8 pounds to maybe 25.
Old June 7, 2022, 04:22 PM   #54
jmstr

BallardW,

I'm glad to know that. I have seen two main places for the safety- behind the trigger or at the rear side of the pistol.

Behind the trigger is just a trigger stop, so there is no affect on trigger pull.

I hadn't thought of possible issues with the rear safety and how it might affect pull.

BTW, the two handguns I've held with the worst triggers [hands down] were a Nagant revolver and a Makarov. What is it with these Russian handguns and horrible triggers?
Old June 10, 2022, 01:54 PM   #55
Unkl Chuck

My Tok is a late production 'Tokagypt'. I had to do a little gunsmithing when I first got it back in the '90's, polishing, and so forth. Decent shooter, okay trigger, acceptable reliability, not bad considering the source and price. I usually keep it set up for 9mm and it's my 'nightstand' gun. I generally use the 7.62X25 barrel for plinking and shooting factory loads to reload for the brooms.
Taking it to the range, soon.
Old June 10, 2022, 03:44 PM   #56
wild cat mccane

Two points.

Serbian PPU isn't loading a round hotter today than yesteryears for a yesteryears gun. That's just not happening.

Fast in this area matters not a fig. If it went 1,600fps, you are still 1,000fps away from the bottom of rifle level damage.

Super fun gun at the range though. Zippy compared to other normal rounds. The 9mm HST is still going to be better, a 800 FPS 150gr HST is bested by almost none, no matter if PPU made it a magical 1,700FPS with their jacketed hollow point
Old June 10, 2022, 07:56 PM   #57
amd6547

Unless you want to shoot through things, which the 7.62 Tokarev does exceedingly well.
Old June 13, 2022, 03:14 PM   #58
wild cat mccane

Fmj will all fall with each other. .380 to 10mm. Remember the rule that increased speed increases drag, faster. Why a plane double speed gets quad the drag.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; June 13, 2022 at 03:22 PM.
Old June 13, 2022, 05:29 PM   #59
stinkeypete

There are three types of drag,
Wake drag, very complex to compute, the turbulence formed behind takes energy
“Pushing” drag, the energy to push stuff aside or ahead, think of a wadcutter as very “pushy” (or expanded hollow point)
Form drag- friction from the side walls. Think “arrow shaft” as the epitome of that.

I’d something doubles in speed, first order pushing drag does sort of follow the square rule. But wake and form drag are major forms, too. Interesting stuff.
Old June 13, 2022, 06:02 PM   #60
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Fast in this area matters not a fig. If it went 1,600fps, you are still 1,000fps away from the bottom of rifle level damage.
This implies that rifles are all 2,600fps or more. is that what you meant??
Or do you mean that rifles slower than 2,600fps don't do "rifle level damage"??

Quote:
Remember the rule that increased speed increases drag, faster.
Also remember the rule that increased speed increases energy, faster....