The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 25, 2019, 08:58 AM   #1
kilotanker22

Recoil pad fit.

Searching for a new recoil pad to replace the hard butt plate on my Interarms mark x 7mm Remington Mag.

Does anyone here have advice on a pad that fits reasonably well? Mine has the hardwood Monte Carlo Stock.

Thanks
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 25, 2019, 09:40 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I've never been able to find any recoil pad that is an exact fit for a gun. They all need some fitting to get it right. They might be close, but no cigar. If you go on line and look it up, they'll tell you how to get a "close" fit for your gun by measuring the distance between the holes on the back, the width, and the height of the pad you have now. You then select the pad you want and have an experienced gunsmith fit it to your gun. They put it on, trace around the butt stock, and then take it off and grind it to fit on a fixture. Go visit Brownell's web site and look at all the offerings and rating for different pads. You don't have to buy from them (but they're a good place if you do) and see what's available.
Old February 26, 2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Pahoo

The work is worth your time !!

Quote:
Does anyone here have advice on a pad that fits reasonably well?
I have a couple of sources and Pachmayer is one of them. More than likely, you will have to do some homework and final fitting. By "homework" I mean that you will have to define what you really want. It's not all that complicated. Suggest you contact these folks and send for their catalogs. They are really great folks to work with. Another option is to let a GunSmith do the work for you. It's nice to match the holes in thte stock but not a big problem. There are times when I will buy a used pad from a parts guy at gun shows, for about 3-5 bucks. The last one I did was on an older Savage. By luck, happened to find one that had the Savage logo on it. This is also a stock I had to cut, in order to match my length of pull. ….

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...coil-pads.html

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!
Old February 26, 2019, 02:19 PM   #4
kilotanker22

I was thinking about this more last night. The length of pull of this rifle is a little short for me right now. Maybe I can get a slip on pad for it
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 26, 2019, 02:26 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

The Interarms Mark X's are the same thing as a Zastava Mauser. Just a commercial Mauser, so anything made for that should fit.
It is much better to buy a grind to fit though. Assuming you have or have access to a bench sander. Works way better than actually grinding the thing. Masking tape on the stock and eye protection.