The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2019, 01:42 PM   #1
gweyns114

Sig P229 red dot slide?

Hey everybody!
I’ve got a sig p229 nitron in 40 s&w and I love it. I’ve been wanting to try out a red dot out on a pistol for a while now, but don’t really want to commit my p229 to a red dot or have it out of commission while the slide gets milled. I’d like to just get a second slide with a red dot on it so I could swap back and forth. I’ve found a couple slides that guys are selling from sig’s caliber exchange kits that come with a romeo1, but they only come in 9mm. Has anybody come across a company that sells a pre-milled slide for the 40 s&w or am I going to have to pick up a factory slide and send it off to be milled?
Old July 11, 2019, 02:57 PM   #2
labnoti

For what red dot would you want the slide to be milled for either before you buy it or after?

Since Vortex, Leupold, Trijicon, and Sig all mount differently, it may not be practical to avoid custom milling unless you intend to choose the optic based solely on the available slide.
Old July 12, 2019, 01:51 PM   #3
gweyns114

Well the general consensus seems to be that the rmr is the way to go and they look great. I’ve got a vortex venom on my AR and it’s a great sight so I’m sure the viper would be great as well. I’m open to trying any of the higher end red dots so just seeing if there are any pre milled slides available. Ordering a slide and sight, waiting for them to arrive, shipping them off and then waiting for it to be returned just seems like a long process. I may try contacting a few companies that mill slides and see if they would source the slide and sight for me if I can’t find what I’m looking for.
Old July 12, 2019, 03:12 PM   #4
Bart Noir

I very recently bought a slide for the 229 (in 9mm), complete with the Romeo 1 red dot sight. Since I was not the first owner, although apparently I was the first to fire it, I don't know how it came to be for sale.

But it looks like the slide came from SIG, as it is in a small SIG case which I haven't seen used before.

So I suggest checking with SIG to see if they are selling these slide-and-optic combinations. One in .40S&W sounds just like what you want.

OBTW, I installed it on my old P228 and it works great.

Bart Noir