The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2016, 01:03 PM   #1
stonewall50

Quality Semi Automatic Sporting Clay/Skeet Gun

So I am doing research on these for a gift. I am looking for some personal experiences and opinions on different guns out there for 12 gauge semi automatics that shoot light loads reliably and accurately. We are trying to stick to the lower end of the spectrum on price.

The groom in question we are buying this for is 6'0 or so. Not a giant, but not little. If that is a factor. He loves Remington 870s and he does kind of like the A5, but he already has one. So we are looking for something new. Any ideas?
Old March 25, 2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Virginian

Remington 1100 Sporting, Beretta A400, Fabarm XLR5, and Browning Maxus and Silver are the best looking ones that work, in my opinion. You also have the Mossberg 930, Winchester SX3, and new Remington V3.
All of them work if even decently maintained, but they feel considerably different. I would not recommend an inertia action for primarily light loads. Someone will come along and say theirs works great, but there are many tales of woe from people whose don't as well.
Old March 25, 2016, 02:05 PM   #3
FITASC

Quote:
Remington 1100 Sporting, Beretta A400, Fabarm XLR5, and Browning Maxus and Silver are the best looking ones that work, in my opinion.
I agree, but then the OP mentioned:

Quote:
We are trying to stick to the lower end of the spectrum on price
While typically mutually exclusive terms, the Mossberg might work. The A400 is a top gun - I own a few - but unless your lower end of the spectrum is about $1400, it ain't happenin'. And the Fabarm makes the Beretta look inexpensive.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 25, 2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Rifletom

Read Randy Wakeman's review of the Mossberg 930. It helped change my mind.
Old March 25, 2016, 05:58 PM   #5
whitearrow

lower end of the price spectrum is a relative term. i just purchased a franchi affinity and while not a gas gun i am impressed with it and one can be had for approx. $750.
good luck and i don't envy you at all. A gun is a very personal thing IMHO,
Eddie
Old March 25, 2016, 07:07 PM   #6
Kvon2

I believe CZ makes one with an appealing price and positive reviews.. Not sure of the model.
Old March 25, 2016, 09:24 PM   #7
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
lower end of the price spectrum is a relative term. i just purchased a franchi affinity and while not a gas gun i am impressed with it and one can be had for approx. $750.

good luck and i don't envy you at all. A gun is a very personal thing IMHO,

Eddie

Franchi? If I'm not mistaken...didn't they make the Spas? Lol. Anyway. I will give it s look. I always forget about some of the brands for shotguns.
Old March 26, 2016, 05:54 AM   #8
eastbank

i do like the rem 1100 and 1187,s. i bought my first one in 12ga new in 1969 for 159.00 and used it off and on for over 20 years and sold it to a friend and he still hunts with it, it has had no repairs other that a few rubber o-rings. i shoot a rem 1187 trap grade and i shoot 600 rounds between cleaning(the gas system-barrel and blow out the trigger group with compressed air). eastbank.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:02 AM   #9
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
i do like the rem 1100 and 1187,s. i bought my first one in 12ga new in 1969 for 159.00 and used it off and on for over 20 years and sold it to a friend and he still hunts with it, it has had no repairs other that a few rubber o-rings. i shoot a rem 1187 trap grade and i shoot 600 rounds between cleaning(the gas system-barrel and blow out the trigger group with compressed air). eastbank.

How is the stock compared to an 870? Feel the same?
Old March 26, 2016, 08:38 AM   #10
Skeets
Member in memoriam

Sporting/Skeet /Guns

Weekly I see skeet guns,in the $700-17,000 price range being used.Clay target games are expensive!Joy quickly turns to frustration if using a gun that's not dependable nor built to take the pounding it will get.IMHO the Wrnchester SX3 is a proven value.Vetern shooters always helpful in these matters.Just for the record,I've shot Berettas and Brownings for over20yrs.Best of Luck , Skeets
Old March 26, 2016, 12:51 PM   #11
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
How is the stock compared to an 870? Feel the same?

Held one today. Found out lol. Gonna get him to try one on possibly.
Old March 26, 2016, 01:31 PM   #12
TomADC

I have a older Remington 11-87 Sporting Clays with light contour barrel, I shoot Sporting Clays, 5 Stand and skeet with it its been flawless zero problems, I do maintain it properly, fit and finish are great my favorite semi auto.
Old March 26, 2016, 05:55 PM   #13
eastbank

i put morgan adjustable pads on my non adjustable comb shotguns for the clay bird shots. and i think the fit on my 870-11-87 is pretty much the same, but the 11-87 in trap grade is heavier, i do like long barrels and long lenth of pull on my shotguns. eastbank.
Old March 26, 2016, 08:30 PM   #14
gyvel

Find a nice used Browning A-5.
SIFE
Old March 26, 2016, 10:01 PM   #15
FITASC

Why? Used inertia guns aren't typically best for sporting clays
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 27, 2016, 01:21 AM   #16
honcho

The winchester sx3 sporting is a very good value. I've had one for 4 years now and it has worked flawlessly for me. I also have an sx2 sporting that I've had for many years and that has never had any problems either.

The sx3 is designed only for sporting games so lighter loads work well. I've run 7/8 Oz reloads thru mine and never had jam problems
Old March 27, 2016, 07:52 PM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
Why? Used inertia guns aren't typically best for sporting clays
And why not? I've only done sporting clays once about 25 years ago, but, for a beginner I did ok, and I used my A-5.
SIFE
Old March 27, 2016, 08:38 PM   #18
FITASC

Some are a lot lighter than others; that makes recoil a serious bother. Newer gas guns are typically better suited weight-wise and stock dimensions than the older field versions.
I'm only talking about in a target scenario.
Old March 27, 2016, 09:02 PM   #19
shootbrownelk

Try on a Benelli for size. They run flawlessly.
Old March 27, 2016, 10:03 PM   #20
Virginian

What did I tell you ?
Old March 28, 2016, 08:05 AM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
Try on a Benelli for size. They run flawlessly.
Yes, with the ammo that runs the gun, which is typically a warmer and heavier load that will run a gas gun. However, if you add some weight to achieve more recoil reduction or to better balance things out, then you have the real possibility of making the Benelli unreliable.
Don't get me wrong, they are great guns for what they were primarily designed for - nasty hunting conditions. If I was a waterfowler, they would be near, if not at the top, of my short list for a go-to gun.

That said, the topic was about a clay target gun. In this scenario, the "brother from a different mother", Beretta, is a better choice (and typically less expensive). I have 2 A400s, the blue smurf gun and the green 3.5" monster; and BOTH have handled my 3/4 reloads running 1275 with zero malfunctions of any kind now for several years. Neither the A5 nor the Benelli can do that. I have nothing to turn around or change, I can load a mixed variety from those 3/4 to 3.5" retina-detaching shoulder busters and they will all function flawlessly.
(Whether I would after 3.5" is debatable )

The few folks I know who use Benellis for clay targets need to shoot either hot 1oz loads or medium 1-1/8 loads (like the walmart stuff) to make their gun run without hiccups.
Old March 28, 2016, 11:18 AM   #22
BigJimP

Rather than bicker about Inertia over gas guns...lets keep this in prespective, the OP is looking for a gun under $ 750 or so....

I have a Benelli Super Sport in 12ga .... and it will run 7/8 oz loads as long as they are at 1200 fps or faster...it will not run any load ( 1 oz, or 1 1/8 oz at 1150 fps )..and I think that is typical of most Inertia guns.

But the Super Sport models ...are $2,000 guns..../ so that isn't what he's looking for.

But there is nothing wrong with the Super Sports ( they're great training guns for young shooters - they're light ( 12ga 30" barrel is right at 7 lbs / 20ga 28" barrel is right at 6 lbs..) - and with Comfort Tech system in them, they shoot very softly. 10 yr old grandson...pretty skinny with limited upper body strength at this point...is shooting 3/4 oz 20ga loads thru the 20ga version -- working his way up to the 12ga with his 13 yr old brother...
------------------
OP would be better served by a gas gun...one of the Berettas or maybe a Browning Gold ( 12ga ) there are still some new in the box floating around even though it went out of production 4 or 5 yrs ago for around $ 750 if he can find one / or Browning Silver hunter series at at about $1,000 .

( I think I may be picking up a few of the Browning Silver Hunter series 12ga's ...for graduation gifts down the road...as a good solid starter gun for a high school kid ).
Old March 28, 2016, 03:14 PM   #23
JWT

I'd look around for a good used Remington 1100 classic trap.
Old March 28, 2016, 03:45 PM   #24
Orion6

On the low end of the spectrum nothing can touch the Mossberg 930.

Remington 11-87 Sportsman's can also be found for around $500 - sometimes.

Either would serve the casual shooter very well.
Old March 28, 2016, 08:17 PM   #25
whitearrow

yes OP franchi did manufacture the SPAS. franchi, and benelli for that matter, are owned by beretta. i know the franchi affinity is a inertia gun but a good quality one that can be had new in your $750 price range.