The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 2, 2016, 12:25 AM   #1
Greg500sw

Talk me into a .410....

I'm getting a very very good deal on a older single shot Stevens .410 and have wanted a .410 shotgun for several years, and now that the chance has finally come, I can't think of any justifiable reason to have one.

I already own a 10 gauge, 12 gauge, and a 20 gauge. Part of me really wants to pick This gun up, and the other part doesn't want me to buy another gun that sits in the safe never being used.

Is there anything a .410 can do better than a much bigger shot shell?
Old March 2, 2016, 01:25 AM   #2
Radny97

Training for youngsters. It does that better. You can also hunt doves and quail with it and actually have meat left to eat after you shot them. Seems like the 410 slugs have longer range than larger gauges. Those are what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there's more.
Old March 2, 2016, 02:38 AM   #3
bamaranger

the .410

My Dad and I hunted rabbits with the .410. We were serious rabbbit hunters mind you, and we had a pair of good beagles, half brothers, that worked together in a manner hard to believe. Dad once turned down good money, on the spot for those two dogs. I was never able to turn out their equal, likely my fault and not the dogs, but Dad's dogs, Jake and Jack, were fine.

We killed a truck load of rabbits over that pair, and did nearly all of it with .410 pumps choked full. The load was 3" shell....#7-1/2 shot. It was our experience at the time that shot any larger did not create a dense enough pattern. We never fooled with the shorter 2-1/2 inch shell. Ranges were short, thick cover often, and I doubt we shot much over 25 yds ever, sometimes half that. All that to say that the .410 can be a useful squirrel/rabbit gun when ranges are short.

On birds, the small thin pattern works against you. The .410 is not really a pheasant gun, those critters can be tough. I don't think it throws a useful enough pattern for grouse, and I'd likely never kill any doves with it, as I'm not a good enough wing shot. I think the .410 might work well for game farm quail, woodcock too, but I've never done any of that. But ranges seem short and the shooting in the open from what I've seen on the tube.

I've used the .410 to start kidsbeginners on hand tossed clay birds (like a frisbee), but for real clay birds, its an experts gun. Shells are expensive,and sometimes hard to find. When I do, their often the stubby short ones with a thimble full of shot. Anything a .410 can do, the 20 ga can do better, and then some.

All that said, I still own two, an old Win 37, and a Rem 870 Express. The vintage single barrel stands ready at the back door for reptile extermination,and sees some use every summer. The 870 has seen very little use, as I've gotten away from beagles/rabbits, but it reminds me of times gone by and there's hope I might get a good dog and a decent place to hunt bunnies again.
Old March 2, 2016, 02:59 AM   #4
kozak6

The .410 makes for a light gun with light recoil at the expense of a light payload.

You can get hits with it, you just have to make them FAST at close range before the pattern opens up too much.

Check the price and availability of shells before you make up your mind. You might be surprised. Expensive shells you can't find will make a cheap shotgun much less appealing.
Old March 2, 2016, 05:18 AM   #5
hartcreek

Are you a reloader......if so then buy the .410 and build yourself a die set that will work mostly in your press or build one Lee whack a mole style if you have a wood lathe. I had to teach my nephew shot gun when he was 8 because I could only light load a 12 gage down so much but a .410would hve been so much easier to work with.
Old March 2, 2016, 05:31 AM   #6
Blindstitch

The $12-17 price per box throws me off but yes I own one and only because I shot a lot of grouse with one as a kid and had to buy one for myself.
Old March 2, 2016, 09:49 AM   #7
Virginian

Not me. I have never had any use for one.
Old March 2, 2016, 12:23 PM   #8
FITASC

Quote:
Simply put? No, there isn't. That doesn't mean they aren't fun to shoot. The one advantage they have is you can carry more ammo while afield; which you'll need since the payload is so small and patterns can be iffy at best. Good out to maybe 25 yards with any effectiveness and a decent pattern.

Again, for grins and giggles, go get one and have fun (hope you reload, ammo isn't cheap). Or you could go for the 28 - 50% more payload and when on a scaled receiver, a fun gun that is light as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; March 2, 2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 2, 2016, 12:29 PM   #9
Doyle

Quote:
Training for youngsters.
I strongly disagree on that. I think a .410 is a very poor choice for training wingshooting to kids. The pattern is just too small. I see the .410 as an experts-only platform.
Old March 3, 2016, 12:48 PM   #10
BigJimP

I agree with FITASC and others...no, there is nothing a .410 can do that other gagues can't do better.

In my opinion, its a poor choice to train young shooters as well.../ I would use a 28ga as a much better option for young shooters ( more pellets in the pattern ..and a much better pattern overall) --- or I'd reload a 20ga shell down to 3/4 oz so its like a 28ga.

If you really want a .410 ...go ahead ...but consider a decent pump gun ( Browning BPS Hunter model is available in .410 -- and others ) .. or maybe an Over Under...
Old March 3, 2016, 03:20 PM   #11
lamarw

Inexpensive shotgun with expensive ammunition. Here is my example. I picked-up a used single shot H&R for forty bucks. It looked a little rough but was one of those with the black wood, chrome action and a blued barrel (Deluxe Topper Model 98). It was in perfect mechanical condition. I stained the stock and used black shellac and used 0000 steel wool on the chrome. It cleaned up very nicely. I then bought a reloading press.

It makes for a great snake gun on my water front property and on the water too.

Recently I acquired a used Stevens Model 67E pump .410 pump which needed some TLC for $125.00. They do not replace my 12 or 20 gauge shotguns, but both are fun to own.

I don't justify the need and simply think of the enjoyment. One of these day someone will probably recoup the small price I paid for them.
Old March 3, 2016, 08:54 PM   #12
Kvon2

For me it makes me smile every time I shoot it because it's the first round I ever shot.

Also, it's extremely satisfying WHEN you shoot a decent round of clays.
Old March 3, 2016, 11:06 PM   #13
SHR970

Quote:
Prove you are not as good a shot as you think you are.
A 410 can be quite humbling as it will turn almost any mistake into a miss.

But they are also good for quick close in snap shots. I like my 410 O/U for quail hunting.
Old March 3, 2016, 11:51 PM   #14
Greg500sw

Awesome, thanks guys for your input.

I'm going to go ahead and get the gun. To take care of little critters around the house....
Old March 4, 2016, 06:03 AM   #15
CajunBass

It might be a poor choice for training youngsters on wingshooting, but it's hard to beat for a simple "Set the can on the ground and shoot it" kind of introduction to shooting. A kids face just lights up to see that can jump, and all those holes are pretty impressive. Sure, you could use a 22, but even a 410 is easier to hit a can on the ground with. You can move on to more formal training with something bigger later.

Works just as well with older folks who don't have much experience shooting and say "Oh, I could never shoot a gun."
John 3:16 (NKJV)

Last edited by CajunBass; March 4, 2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old March 4, 2016, 06:34 AM   #16
eastbank

when walmart closed out the rem express 870,s in .410 and 28ga for 179.00, i snapped up one of each. the 410 is FC and the 28ga is mod, the 410 has taken a pile of rabbits in heavy brush and brairs with 11/16 oz #6,s at 20 yards and closer with out loading them up with lead. the 28 ga is a over all better rabbit gun with 1 oz #6,s and is my favorte walking gun. i run a mec 9000g in 28ga and a mec 650 in .410 to keep the shell cost down. i have since bought a .410 rem 1100 and a 28ga rem 1100 sporting. knowing the limits of your shotgun will help you make humane shots on small game. i can walk(not to fast) all day carrying my .28ga with 10 shells and still not be tired out. eastbank.
Old March 6, 2016, 08:28 AM   #17
Gunplummer

I hunt turkey with a rifle and other birds with a .410. Works great on squirrels with #5 shot. If there were any pheasants left, I would use a .410 on them. When I was a kidd, two of my Buddys used .44 shotshells and handguns for small game. .410's are OK, but as everyone else said, you have to watch how you shoot.
Old March 6, 2016, 11:22 AM   #18
B.L.E.

Why a .410? Because for some types of hunting, a .410 is enough.
Old March 6, 2016, 12:19 PM   #19
Auto5

The .410 is sometimes touted as a good starter for beginners because of the light weight and recoil. For skeet, though, it's more of an expert's choice. The first time I fired a shotgun, my father borrowed a friend's .410 for me. I shot a discouraging 3 out of 25. When it came time for me to get my own gun, both my father and the gun store owner convinced me that I would get more use out of a 20 gauge, and they were right. It has been my main upland game gun for 40 years. If you've already got a 20, a .410 might be fun to have, but it won't do much that a 20 can't do better.
Old March 6, 2016, 12:25 PM   #20
B.L.E.

You know, you really don't need our permission to buy a .410, so if you want a .410, that's reason enough.
Old March 6, 2016, 12:57 PM   #21
Kvon2

Agreed...if you want it and you can afford it, get what you want. I don't think a single member here would say "oh you have the money and want a new gun? Nah don't do it."
Old March 7, 2016, 09:50 PM   #22
Sappyg

Lots to like about the 410 IMO. Light guns. Light recoil. Cheap to reload. Fun to shoot.

Lots of limitations too: light guns. Expensive factory ammo. Hard to hit with. The bore is very unforgiving and limited in range/ payload.

I have three because I don't want four but never say never. If the right deal came along I'd be all over another. Yes I reload.

It's not any more than what it is which ain't much but, it does have a place for some. An all around shotgun it ain't. Very fun all the same. Just don't expect too much from the 410 & you won't be disappointed.
Old March 7, 2016, 10:01 PM   #23
FITASC

Quote:
Very fun all the same. Just don't expect too much from the 410 & you won't be disappointed.
And yet some friends shoot our practice FITASC parcour with theirs and they hit targets over 40 yards.............Model 42s with a full choke work well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 7, 2016, 10:30 PM   #24
CCCLVII

410s tend to be a little more quiet than larger bores. That said it still sounds like a gun. BE sure you wear hearing protection.
Old March 8, 2016, 02:05 AM   #25
olddrum1

The one thing they do better than anything else is break you of your bad habbits.
Closed Thread