The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 12, 2011, 02:50 AM   #1
Newton24b

revolver comparisons

How good is the 1858 remington target revolver, 44 caliber? Does it really offer that much more accuracy then the standard 1858 does? would you consider it a hunting gun?

colt 1860 army, how hard is it to fit the short barrel onto a revolver that came with the standard long barrel? think dan wesson barrel change....

also how hard wold it be to use any of the 44 caliber 1851 barrel assemblies with the 1860 colt army frame?

1851 colt navy versus the 1858 new army police vs 1851 navy london vs 1862 army police vs 1861 navy all in original 36 caliber
is 1862 army police 5 or 6 shot?
which of the colts has the best handling balance ?
Old April 12, 2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

AFAIK

The primary difference on the target Remington in comparison with the standard 1858 is just the sights. This is not a pistol thing, it is a shooter thing. So if you can shoot it more accurately with sights, it is more accurate.

That sounds like a Smart Mouth answer when I read it but it is not intended to be.

The .44 can easily be a hunting revolver (By that I mean that there are numerous categories of game the revolver will kill quickly with a properly placed shot. I would say there are plenty of folks here who could advise what load for what game. (I am not a hunter.)

1860 short barrel is interchangeable with long barrel.

I think that as long as you stay with the same manufacturers the barrels between an 1851 and an 1860 will change out. I have a Euroarms 1851 and the forcing cone and lug on the barrel is not the same as an 1860 from Pietta, Colt 3rd Gen, ASM, or ASP. I assume you want the larger grip of the 1860 coupled to the octagon barrel.

Not a CAS shooter so I am guessing but I think folks prefer four and a half to five and a half in barrel length for balance. Two inches off the barrel takes about two ounces off the weight way out at the end of the barrel. 1858 New Army Police is a nice pistol. I have one in .44 and it is a good pistol. It is from Pietta and is very good qulity. But I do not do CAS so I don't know how competitive it is.

1862 Army Police is a six shooter.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:59 AM   #3
mykeal

Not aware of an 1862 Army Police.
Here's what I have:
Old April 12, 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
Doc Hoy

Mykeal and Newton

If you do a product search on the Cabela's website using the keywords "army police" you come up with both of the revolvers.

1858 New Army Police is an 1858 Remington (I think you can get it in .36 and .44. The site lists .36 but mine is .44) with the end of the barrel sawed off.

1862 Army Police is an 1861 Colt with the end of the barrel sawed off.
Old April 13, 2011, 01:46 AM   #5
Newton24b

im going by cabelas..

its where the low prices are right now. most places sell the brass frame colt navy in 44 cal for 350.00 online.

legally the navys AND armies are legal for hunting with in my state because the bore diamter is .358 or larger. i dont need to hunt with it but i kow that 200 grain bullets at 1,000 are the standard for serious critter hunting. And ive seen on here were users have gotten 950 to1000 fpswith a 200 grain lead bullet from an army caliber.

ive seen a colt 1861 navy that is a 5 shot using the 51 navy barel assembly.
Old April 13, 2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

I am with you.

Cabela's generally has some pretty low prices, although Taylors does pretty well on the Dragoons.
Old April 13, 2011, 12:15 PM   #7
Bishop Creek

Quote:
The primary difference on the target Remington in comparison with the standard 1858 is just the sights. This is not a pistol thing, it is a shooter thing. So if you can shoot it more accurately with sights, it is more accurate.
Absolutely correct. I once owned a Pietta ‘Target’ Remington and it was no more accurate for me than my regular model 1858 Remington. On the other hand, my Pietta ’58 “Shooters” model (see Dixie Gun Works online) is truly more accurate as it has a target barrel that is superior to the standard model. Ironically, this model does not have target sights, but a standard sight dovetail into the barrel.
Old April 13, 2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Rachen

The main difference between the regular 1858 Army and the "Shooters" Target edition is that the Pietta Target is rifled with "gain twist rifling", whereas the standard 1858 is rifled with straight-twist. Gain-twist means that the rifling starts off slow at the forcing cone, then becomes faster as it moves towards the muzzle. Gain twist is very good for stabilizing conical slugs and "picket bullets" that were issued to US Mounted Rifles soldiers on the frontier from 1847-1855.

The Pietta Target edition ACTUALLY bears more resemblance to the original Remington/Beals of 1858 because original pistols are rifled with gain-twist rifling.

Now accuracy-wise? I suspect that the gain twist rifling may be of more advantage when it comes to extreme long range shooting, but with straight-twist, good accuracy can be had as well. All depends on how you load and shoot it. My 1858 is a standard Pietta, and I have hit buffalo silhouettes, Cowboy Action "Evil Roy" silhouettes, and campbells soup cans out to 300 yards with the round ball and 32 grains of Pyrodex-P. And last year I supplied my entire mining crew with delicious antelope meat felled by a ball from my Remington at 60 yards. Instant kill, very ethical. One of the engineers said I was crazy for attempting such a thing, then his facial expression when he came over and saw me sitting next to the downed antelope, big revolver in hand and a smug grin on my face, was priceless.

The Remington/Beals is my favorite revolver. Strong, rugged, and parts are simple, give great service-life and easily replaced in case of wear.
Old April 13, 2011, 03:18 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

Quote:
The Remington/Beals is my favorite revolver. Strong, rugged, and parts are simple, give great service-life and easily replaced in case of wear.
Mine too. I own several 2nd Gen Colt's, a Starr, a Ruger Old Army, etc. but the so called 1858 (really 1863) model is everything one could want in a cap and ball revolver. Easy to completely take apart and clean, simple to remove cylinder, excellent loading lever design and a strong top strap.

Although I have a "Shooters" model, my favorite sidearm is my standard model Pietta '58 Remington that has had an action job and the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees. I have had it for a decade now and it is an outstanding shooter; I have taken jack rabbits on the run with it.

Last edited by Bishop Creek; April 13, 2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old April 13, 2011, 04:19 PM   #10
Rachen

Quote:
Mine too. I own several 2nd Gen Colt's, a Starr, a Ruger Old Army, etc. but the so called 1858 (really 1863) model is everything one could want in a cap and ball revolver. Easy to completely take apart and clean, simple to remove cylinder, excellent loading lever design and a strong top strap.

Although I have a "Shooters" model, my favorite sidearm is my standard model Pietta '58 Remington that has had an action job and the forcing cone cut to 11 degrees. I have had it for a decade now and it is an outstanding shooter; I have taken jack rabbits on the run with it.
Damn, son, I bet you I could put that back together BLINDFOLDED in 2 minutes or less!

Actually, I have done it, took me some practice, but then I could do it in about a minute just by feeling the parts and knowing where went
Old April 14, 2011, 01:49 AM   #11
Newton24b

what about sights, can you provide a decent picture of what teh sight picture on the remington target versus standard remington? both fired and unfired?

would it be doable for someone on here to post a picture of the sight profile for any of the colt revovlers, about to fire and fired? as your actually looking down the sights.

i know the remington is the more durable, and the easiest to take down, but what issues does that exposed barrel threading pose for rust from firing?
Old April 14, 2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Bishop Creek

Quote:
i know the remington is the more durable, and the easiest to take down, but what issues does that exposed barrel threading pose for rust from firing?
I can't provide sight pictures but the exposed barrel thread poses no problems with rust when, after cleaning your piece, you spray a little Rem Oil on it.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:49 AM   #13
ZVP

I own 2 Remington reproductions and a pair of Colt reproductions and I favor the Remingtons.
The issues of cap fragmentation and jams are almost non-exhistant wit a Remington and you just feel safe heavy loading the full framed revolvers.
I have both a standard and a 5 1/2" BBL versions.
I really like the short barreled gun! It handles very easilly and swift! Mine handles very similar to my Ruger New Model Vaquero. The short barrel fits a Cross-Draw holster well and comes up to shooting position effortlessly.
I normally load my remingtons with 30 grains of BP or Pyrodex, followed by a lubed patch and round ball. MY Full sized '58 prefers that I use a cornmeal filler to bring the ball closer to the forcing cone but my 5 1/2" seems to just like a Powder, Patch and Ball load. I don't know why the differences but whatever gives me the most accurate shot is what I'll do...
Clean-up is a breeze with the Remingtons as they dissamble easilly by hand and actually seem to foul less than the Colt design.
I usually fire up to 3 cylinder-fulls before wiping the fouling from the cylinder pin and gun itself at the range. I normally load all six and use the cylinder notch for safety. I just use a damp towel whetted with Windex at the range. Doing this I get absolutelly reliable functioning with little drag upon cocking. I think if you were to just want to buy "ONE" gun, get the Remington!
HTH,
ZVP