The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2019, 10:12 PM   #1
Fullclip610

Daewoo 9

Anyone know anything about these? I’ve heard of them but anyone have one? I just won one in a raffle so I’ll be picking it up in the next few days
Old June 29, 2019, 12:54 AM   #2
10-96

I've had two of them in .40 over the years and I'm really wishing I hadn't been talked out of them. They are a well made (although not tight tolerance) and a little on the hefty side. Both of mine had 3-dot sights, stainless finish, 15rnd magazines, and a really comfortable grip angle for me. The recoil seemed to be more of a backwards shove and not so much of a muzzle rise and flip. Magazines for the .40 is tricky to come up with, but the 9's supposedly use S&W 59 series magazines just fine. They have a funky/groovy Tri-action trigger/hammer thing going on. They can be shot from single action, with the hammer back in DA, or the hammer can be lowered to a short action mode by (I think) placing the finger behind the trigger and pushing forwards. I don't recall any safety issues or reliability issues ever being discussed. I can't remember when importation was stopped- seems like it was in the Clinton years.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 29, 2019, 06:25 AM   #3
PSP

I've owned Daewoo's in .40, .380 and .22lr and all were excellent guns, well made and robust. Whether a Lionheart or Daewoo, the pistol is one you should be satisfied with and enjoy. The tri-action trigger is neat, a safer way to carry hammer down but able to shoot the first shot in single action. The DP51 was used as their military side arm. You scored a winner.
Old June 29, 2019, 09:53 PM   #4
Fullclip610

Cool, I know it’s a pretty good looking gun for whatever that means. But heard some of them are not accurate. But we’ll see in a few days. Thanks for the input
Old July 1, 2019, 08:00 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

I've had several Daewoo DP-51s and a DH40, and now have a Lionheart LH-9, which is a (very slightly) updated version of the DP-51, sold here in the US.

The DaeWoo was (is?) the issue weapon for the ROK military and a fine-shooting handgun. Fit and finish are typically pretty good, and reliability is very good. The only problem is magazines, which can be pricey -- but you can use (at least for the 9mm models) the S&W 59- (and 59xx) mags) instead. The S&W mags extend about an extra 1/8", but function perfectly. (I don't know whether then S&W 40xx mags will work in the DH-40.)

They have a unique trigger/action design. You can start from hammer down, from cocked & locked, or hammer cocked and pushed forward (to an apparent hammer-down mode.) When in this that third mode, the trigger becomes a two-stage trigger for the first shot, but it's easily managed. The safety can be used in any of the three modes.

I traded both of my DP-51s away, and later regretted it. The Lionheart took their place. The DH-40 version is a 40 version of the same gun; I didn't like my .40 model as much ad the 9mm models, but it was probably just me. (It was only years later that I really got comfortable shooting .40 handguns.)

Great guns. Some parts may be scarce, but I've not ever needed any.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; July 1, 2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old July 1, 2019, 10:09 AM   #6
osbornk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26T_Motiv
Old July 1, 2019, 03:25 PM   #7
mr bolo

Daewoo is a military arms maker they make the same pistol for military use, I had a Daewoo AR100 rifle and it was very well made, excellent quality, Im sure the handguns are also made just as good.
Old July 2, 2019, 11:14 AM   #8
Pahoo

Did not want to be looking over my sholder

Quote:
Anyone know anything about these?
My experience with these is very positive. I had one and a buddy of mine kept after me to sell is to him. I did so but only for one main reason and that is availability of parts and support, in the future. It is still functioning and very serviceable. If the price is right, you won't go wrong. …..

There is a story out there and not sure how true it is. It's about the time that North Korea invaded South Korea with some elite rangers. When captured, they were carrying Daewoo weapons. ……

Be Safe !!!