The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 14, 2019, 05:33 PM   #1
yorec

TFL as a resource - thanks guys

I’ve been researching the internet on the 223 as a big game round - specifically for antelope. I was directed to several TFL threads, a couple of which originated as Wyoming was gearing up to accept the .223 Rem as a big game round.

Well, that happened and the .223 Rem. is (and has been for a bit!) allowed in the State of Wyoming for antelope and deer (with 60 gr and heavier bullets - that portion of the statute actually reads:
... (i) Any center-fire firearm of at least .22 caliber (excluding .22 Hornet) and having a bullet weight of at least sixty (60) grains and firing a cartridge of at least two (2) inches in overall length, or any other cartridge of at least .35 caliber and at least one and one-half (1.5) inches in overall length, and using an expanding point bullet; ...)

So I bought a Savage Axis II with a medium heavy barrel and 1:9 twist in .223 for my handicapped and VERY recoil shy daughter’s first antelope hunt as soon as she drew her first antelope tag after the change... then I started to research for a proper weight bullet to use in it and those TFL threads kept popping up as I searched for information on bullet selection for her upcoming hunt.

Just had to chime in to let ya’ll know I’m still out here kicking and appreciate TFL as a resource and community as much as ever. This is good stuff here guys - carry on!
Old July 15, 2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Thanks for the good words.

Until roughly 20 years ago, most .223 loads were varmint loads. Bullet makers' R&D began to change that, developing controlled-expansion bullets suitable for deer and antelope.

Best luck on the hunt!
Old July 16, 2019, 02:55 AM   #3
std7mag

Something you may want to look at is this website.
www.ballisticstudies.com
Check out the knowledge base. Has info for many cartridges. Along with terminal performance.

For 223 i've heard decent things with the 60gr Partition.

Best of luck on the hunt!
With any luck, (and a lot of persuasion with the Mrs.) I'll be out there next year.
If up to me, permenately!

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old July 16, 2019, 04:15 PM   #4
jmhyer

I’ve had nothing but good experiences with Federal Fusion and Hornady American Whitetail (from Academy) loads on deer.