The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2010, 11:15 PM   #1
hilus

Beretta 84 stuck safety

Hello,

This is my first post so please excuse any errors. I have a friend who has a Beretta 84 .380. Recently while unloading the weapon he removed the magazine and was about to cycle the slide to eject the live round in the chamber, however the ambidextrous safety (which was in the safe position) would not disengage. In other words with the safety stuck in the locked position it thus has locked the slide. This is preventing him from cycling the slide to remove the chambered round. Does anyone have any idea what happened. I don't know how to safely deal with the situation, and with the live round in it no gun smith in the area will look at it.
Old December 20, 2010, 11:29 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

I suspect that the detent that holds the safety in the up position has gotten sticky and needs some lubrication.

If you look on the left side of the gun below the safety lever and sort of behind the upper part of the left grip panel you can see the detent. There's a small "spike" (part #25 in the manual) sticking out of the safety lever and that small spike bears against a post that is mounted to the frame.

Get a drop of oil directly onto the spot where the spike and the post meet and then jiggle the safety awhile to get the oil between the two parts. You should be able to disengage the safety after the oil has a chance to work.

If that doesn't work, try manually using a probe or a small screwdriver to push the "spike" so that it compresses back into the safety. You may be able to push it back far enough into the safety lever that it will pass the post and allow the safety to be disengaged.

Obviously you should be EXTREMELY careful to keep this gun pointed in a safe direction while working on it.
Old December 21, 2010, 11:11 AM   #3
hilus

Thank you. After your response I went to bed and thought about what you described. This morning I found several pictures and diagrams which helped me locate the parts you described. He stopped by my home and after careful study I was able to use a small probe to depress the plunger and disengage the safety. I did have some apprehension, as I was concerned with the live round. My feeling was if it went off somehow with the safety in the slide notches the slide would not be able cycle and would result in a catastrophic failure and injury. I once witnessed 2 gun failures at a range due to improperly hand loaded ammunition. Although this was a different situation I recall quite vividly the resulting carnage as I was forced to render emergency aid (I'm a physician). Fortunately all is well. I lubricated the gun for him, as it was in great need of some oil and suggested he send it for maintenance. I believe that was the root of the problem (lack of lubrication). Again, many thanks for your help.
Old December 21, 2010, 09:32 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Glad to be of assistance!