The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 16, 2009, 04:28 PM   #1
nemo2econ

How Do I Find a Defense Attorney Who Specializes in Firearms Related Cases?

Don't need one right now, but what if.

It seems like the Firing Line Forum might be a source for information and reputational records on some of the most reputable and successful criminal defense lawyers who have a specialty, or significant practice in, defending clients who defended themselves with a firearm, or perhaps gotten involved in other civil rights RKBA matters related to firearms possession, transport, storage, etc.?

I would assume this is typically a state jurisdiction specific matter, so we might eventually need to be state-specific with any repository of information we collect. We can leave that for another post.

But more generally, how does one find, then select, a good attorney?

Would it be advisable to perhaps have done a bit of groundwork in advance, like a probably-never-to-be-used-fire-insurance policy, and have the selection over and done with so one would already be carrying the business card at the time it became necessary to have an attorney?
Old September 16, 2009, 06:05 PM   #2
rcupka

During our CCW classes we pass out a paper with a list of Attorneys that are knowledgeable and specialize in defense of these cases. One of our Club's instructors is an attorney and teaches the required portion on CCW and handgun law. you may want to talk to some of the CCW instructors in the area for their recommendations.

Dick Cupka
Old September 16, 2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I'd try contacting the NRA for any possible reference or list they may have. Not sure that they have any type of list, but it would certainly be worth looking towards them as a first stop.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:56 PM   #4
jomommy

Armed legal citizen's defense network. Marty Hayes, Firearms Academy of Seattle. Check out their website.
j
Old September 16, 2009, 11:21 PM   #5
CARGUY2244

attorney

an attorney is a contract employee.
compile a list of questions pertinent to your needs.
interview the candidates.
record the interviews.
take notes.
decide.
negotiate and pay a retainer.
now you have an attorney.
Old September 19, 2009, 06:59 PM   #6
nemo2econ

Thanks for the ideas. The checklist would be helpful once I can even figure out where to start -- I'm still hoping to find some attorneys with a solid reputation in the field before I ever get to interviewing them. The idea for the "Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network" seems like an interesting idea -- they are kind of new and, to date, seem to have about 1300 members nationwide who've signed up for the $5000 insurance policy and a referral to an attorney for a fee of $85/year. I'm not sure that's the best option for me, but it is quite interesting. The idea of checking with local clubs and NRA is also good -- I will do some of that.

Tags
attorney , civil rights attorney , defense attorney , judicial proceedings , lawyer