The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 29, 2006, 10:15 AM   #1
cptmclark

Tasco Propoint Optima 2000

I hope somebody has experience with these delightful little red dot sights.
The problem is mechanical and not optical, so I hope it can be a smithy question.
The Optima 2000 is 1 x 1.6 inches and has two windage screws and one elevation screw. One of the windage screws must be loosend before adjusting the vertical. When adjusting the vertical, a small spring screwed itself out of the screw hole. I see no threads in the adjustment screw hole, and so suspect that the spring was used as threads. Anyhow, after they said to sent it back for repair Bushnell/Tasco says they forgot they don't have parts for that one. Advice/instruction will be gratefully accepted. Tasco wont even talk about it. You can't get a new one of these.

Many thanks
Old September 29, 2006, 05:48 PM   #2
DonR101395

Google JPoint. They are manufacturing them now under the JPoint name and may have the parts you need.
Old September 30, 2006, 09:51 AM   #3
Ausserordeutlich

I've found the folks at Bushnell (they're marketing Tasco stuff now) to be totally incompetent, as far as repairs and parts are concerned. I need an extension/sunshade for a Pro Point 3. Such shades/extensions are included with every Pro Point 3; however, nobody at Bushnell seems to be able to understand what the part is or that it's included with Pro Point 3 scopes.

I doubt that the spring is used as threads. Get a magnifying glass and look a little closer. Something just doesn't sound right.
Old October 2, 2006, 03:03 PM   #4
cptmclark

Optima 2000

I found the JP unit and it does look the same. Midway sells it but... of course they don't have any. No doubt it's popular. I'll keep looking, and at least I know they still exist.
Bushnell referred me to an outfit in Miami that does repairs on the Tasco unit. Very nice fellow assured me they would fix mine and have it back with 15 (thats right friends) weeks. I asked about diagrams of the adjustments and he said only the techies know about that. So connect me with a techie. Nope, they're not allowed to talk with customers. How much? Can't estimate. Real nice experience. Somewhere theres a diagram or somebody who has had one of these apart. Very simple LOOKING. Thanks for putting me on to JP. At least I may be able to buy another one. Still would like to fix mine. First, I have to get it back from Bushnell. I've been pleading, but so far no mail from Bushnell.

On a similar note, a conventional scope I sent back maybe 5 weeks ago is not back yet, they tell me another two weeks should do it, and they have decided to just replace it. OK, send it today. Nope, cant send the new one for two more weeks.

Last edited by cptmclark; October 2, 2006 at 03:06 PM. Reason: added something