The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 27, 2021, 06:25 PM   #1
kymasabe

Polymer 80% AR receiver milling services?

So, I ordered an 80% receiver (don't ask me why, shopping online at 2am is a TERRIBLE idea) and now that its here, the idea of milling it on my drill press just doesn't thrill me. So, i thought about asking local gunshops if they knew of anyone who'd mill it for me, and they were all very hush hush about it. It just occured to me...if someone where to provide that service and charge for it...would ATF then consider them a manufacturer?
Anyway...besides returning the darn thing, any suggestions on how to mill this thing?
Polymer80 did not include instructions in the box, and I'm not sure I want to invest in a drillpress vise with an X-Y axis.
Old September 28, 2021, 12:57 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

First point, the person who "completes" the receiver IS the "manufacturer".
Whether that is done by hand with a file and a hand drill or just the push of a button to start a CNC machine, the person that performs that action has just "made" something, therefore, they are the manufacturer.

Ownership is a separate matter.

Next point, how "finished" is the 80% receiver? If all you need to do is hog out some material for clearance, if its polymer, seems to me you could do that with a dremel and a cutting burr.

next question, were they supposed to include instructions? Or are those intended to be "available separately"??
Old September 28, 2021, 01:09 AM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
First point, the person who "completes" the receiver IS the "manufacturer".
Whether that is done by hand with a file and a hand drill or just the push of a button to start a CNC machine, the person that performs that action has just "made" something, therefore, they are the manufacturer.

Ownership is a separate matter.
To add to that, the 80% home finisher squeezes into a narrow definition in the law which allows individuals to manufacture unserialized firearms (which is defined by the component which actually does the cartridge firing) exclusively for their own personal use.
Old September 28, 2021, 07:00 AM   #4
darkgael

The picture is a finished AR. The receiver was milled on an inexpensive Home Depot drill press. No compound slide needed. It works just fine and is as accurate as I need. The upper was donated by my son, as was the jig, and is 7.62 X 39.
Just take your time. Make sure that the lower is level/square before cutting or drilling.
Lots of info available online about how to get this done and what you need to do it. Here is one:
https://www.80-lower.com/80-lower-bl...ill-vs-router/
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C5679D8B-A53D-4305-8967-C1339F3C716E.jpeg (72.8 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by darkgael; September 28, 2021 at 07:20 AM.
Old September 28, 2021, 10:17 AM   #5
Shadow9mm

In short, if you don't want to machine it yourself, sell it and buy a stripped lower at a gun shop.

A 80% is not a firearm. That's why they can mail it to you and not have to do a background check. When you mill/machine it out you are manufacturing a firearm. the same goes for a gunsmith, machine shop or anyone else. whoever finishes it is manufacturing a firearm. As I understand it, it also has to be for yourself not with the intent of sale.
Old September 28, 2021, 12:27 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
As I understand it, it also has to be for yourself not with the intent of sale.
You can make them for sale, as many as you want, legally, PROVIDED you get the correct FEDERAL LICENSE FIRST!!!

If you're going to make them with the intent of sale, you need to be a Federally licensed firearms manufacturer BEFORE you start finishing receivers with the intent of sale.

Otherwise, you're breaking the law, big time.
Old September 29, 2021, 06:59 PM   #7
kymasabe

Problem solved.
Sent it back.
Old September 29, 2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Good deal. Grab a finished lower and put your build together.