The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 18, 2021, 01:32 PM   #76
stagpanther

Good Luck Garand! (might be worth swapping something higher power off one of your big boy rifles).
Old June 18, 2021, 01:54 PM   #77
hounddawg

Quote:
Good Luck Garand! (might be worth swapping something higher power off one of your big boy rifles).
times 2 , don't know how good your eyes are but that 12 power gave my almost 70 year old eyes a workout yesterday. When I was doing the green monster I had to stop and use some eye drops halfway through
Old June 18, 2021, 02:17 PM   #78
stagpanther

Just came in this morning. I had the area 419 base ready to put on. Trigger is quite stiff so I'll need to adjust that, probably won't get around to setting it up til next week since I'll be working through the weekend.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5135.jpg (144.2 KB, 2949 views)
Old June 18, 2021, 02:55 PM   #79
hounddawg

Nice I like that model, pretty wood too. Should be a tackdriver.

I put a Rifle Basix on my American in the AT1 stock, and did some polishing and changed the spring on my trainers trigger. Nice that they are putting adjustable triggers on the newer models
Old June 18, 2021, 03:33 PM   #80
stagpanther

Gave it the once-through look-over, everything looks great--though I don't quite get why the front fiber is angled down into the sight, it won't "light up" as a result and I can't see it.

After popping the action off I got an even better look, the wooden stock is impeccably executed--one of the best I've ever seen. It includes pillars already installed and machined for the two action screws, and rather interesting there's a recoil lug of sorts fitted to seat the action too--it's positioned at the tail end of the action just aft of the safety--never seen that before. The rifle is robust metal throughout--the one and only concession to mass-produced cheapness I can see is the magazine well fitting which appears to be made of plastic. The only thing I found that is a disappointment is that I could only adjust the trigger down to 2.5 lbs--I was hoping a rifle of this quality niche would have a trigger that would go down to at least 1.5 lb pull.

The precision of the fit of the action to the stock is remarkable--at first I thought that I was going to have to at least widen the foreend channel a bit--the gap between the barrel and stock is very small. Yet it is entirely free floated, a remarkable thing that both the right and left sides of the channel are straight and true relative to the stock wall with such a narrow gap.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 18, 2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old June 18, 2021, 07:43 PM   #81
jdc606

My attempt

Here is my entry from this evening. Only printed 5 targets and wish I would have doubled the number. An addictive challenge for sure. The other attachment shows 5 round sighting groups at 50yds. Center-X was most consistent for me. The el-cheapo Blazer performed as well at 50yds but groups did open up twice the size at 100yds when compared to the Eley and Lapua.

There's a lot of luck involved trying to nail a dot compared to trying for a tight group. Got flyers whether it was 25cpr Eley Match or <6cpr Blazer.

Last edited by jdc606; August 31, 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old June 18, 2021, 08:30 PM   #82
hounddawg

great shooting, just goes to show how much the Indian plays a part in shooting when a $200 Savage shoots as well as a $2500 Annie.

I love my Savage actioned CF's BTW. I even have one tackdriver built off a Stevens 200 action. That one turns some heads at the matches
Old June 22, 2021, 03:18 PM   #83
stagpanther

My first attempt at shooting 22lr at these targets, it didn't go very well. I decided just to skip all the niceties and just try for the top row. Here are Ely tenex shot through my CZ 457 on a bipod from my caldwell unstable table, this was my last of 4 tries. I can't seem to hold the rifle steady all the way through the shot, and it shows.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5148.jpg (209.8 KB, 122 views)
Old June 22, 2021, 04:22 PM   #84
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
My first attempt at shooting 22lr at these targets, it didn't go very well.
Don't be too hard on yourself, may be you, may be something else. Nothing wrong with getting more trigger time, though. And for me, a good trigger is #1 for an accurate firearm. Is a pretty decent 5 shot group if you superimpose the the bullet holes onto the common center dot.

I've not shot the really high end stuff like Eley Tenex or the RW50 you tried. Having watched video of CCI making .22lr, it's a wonder it shoots as well as it does. Dumping soft lead bullets from a bin to a hopper. And having worked factory production jobs my whole life, I know not every worker is as conscientious about quality as the company wishes/claims.
Old June 22, 2021, 04:24 PM   #85
stagpanther

Thanks--the good part is I know I can do better, so I have something to work toward. Funny, I have several rifle projects going at once, I might have too many balls up in the air at the same time.
Old June 22, 2021, 06:40 PM   #86
hounddawg

from my experience it takes a couple of hundred rounds for a barrel to season, sometimes more. And for me at least it takes a bit to get used to a rifle. I bet by the time that rifle has 500 rounds down the tube you will be cleaning rows
Old June 23, 2021, 05:52 AM   #87
stagpanther

Quote:
I bet by the time that rifle has 500 rounds down the tube you will be cleaning rows
I guess one advantage of rimfire is that they go fast so it won't take long to reach that 500--but dang they are expensive these days, so I'm going to learn how to reload them, though I may need to buy tweezers and a microscope.
Old June 23, 2021, 06:32 AM   #88
hounddawg

you can still get CCI Std Vel for a dime each + shipping. These shoot decent in all my 22's

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/rimfi...city/6-35.html
Old June 23, 2021, 06:39 AM   #89
Mr.RevolverGuy

Great guidance hounddawg -- I to am a CCISV fan though I really want to try some of the new stuff I hear maybe the formula changed. Though over the last year I have found better consistency with SK Plus.

Both are still very high on the list.
Old June 23, 2021, 07:25 AM   #90
hounddawg

No idea on any changes MrRevolver, I bought several K of them back in 2018 and still working on that lot.

I know I don't like the newer SK+ and Wolf as much as I like the 10+ year SK+ and Wolf. It's ok but not as good as the older stuff. My new intermediate price favorite is the SK Pistol Match Special.
Old June 23, 2021, 08:51 AM   #91
stagpanther

With the RWS R 50 40 gr premium stuff I put 3 consecutive shots down the same hole @ 54 yds--I mean literally they were all almost exactly CTC. Then my unsteady hold caught up with me.

Quote:
times 2 , don't know how good your eyes are but that 12 power gave my almost 70 year old eyes a workout yesterday. When I was doing the green monster I had to stop and use some eye drops halfway through
I broke out the heavy artillery and put a XTR II 5 x 25 on my CZ but being variable mag with ffp desn't confer all that much advantage as most of the extra magnification causes the reticle to get too thick, but the glass and tracking are much better than the vortex I had used. I'm north of 60 years myself and found I could only shoot at the top row a few times before I started getting a headache. One reason I like bigger cartridges at longer ranges, but I enjoy learning a new challenge.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 23, 2021 at 09:02 AM.
Old June 26, 2021, 09:36 PM   #92
wbbh

My first try with a Bergara B-14R and RWS Target ammunition.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1557.jpeg (580.5 KB, 79 views)
Old June 27, 2021, 12:54 PM   #93
Bart B.

Too bad the most accurate 22 rimfire ammo made after 1980 isn't as good as that made earlier.

All the USA NRA 100 yard records and most of the 50 yard ones set before then still stand.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 27, 2021 at 01:12 PM.
Old June 27, 2021, 02:12 PM   #94
stagpanther

Quote:
Too bad the most accurate 22 rimfire ammo made after 1980 isn't as good as that made earlier.
I'm about to change all that.
Old June 27, 2021, 03:41 PM   #95
Bart B.

Where are you gonna make the ammo?
Old June 27, 2021, 04:23 PM   #96
stagpanther

Quote:
Where are you gonna make the ammo?
Yup--gonna roll my own.
Old June 27, 2021, 04:36 PM   #97
Bart B.

Russian folks in Siberia have reloaded 22 rimfire cases.

If you can make 22 rimfire long rifle ammo that'll test 50 shots no worse than a half inch extreme spread at 100 yards, you could sell it for over 50 cents a round.

Last edited by Bart B.; June 27, 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old June 27, 2021, 08:43 PM   #98
stagpanther

Quote:
Russian folks in Siberia have reloaded 22 rimfire cases.

If you can make 22 rimfire long rifle ammo that'll test 50 shots no worse than a half inch extreme spread at 100 yards, you could sell it for over 50 cents a round.
RWS and Ely Tenex already cost almost that much!
Old June 27, 2021, 10:00 PM   #99
hounddawg

Quote:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...re-ammo-types/

I just got .25 inches at 25 using some bulk Thunderbolt, purchased at 1 cent per round a few years back. I am playing with a hose clamp tuner, this weeks goal is .5 inch at 50

the 20 is where I had the "tuner" on the barrel not the group number
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thunderbolt.jpg (627.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg barrel tuner 2.jpg (85.4 KB, 12 views)
Old June 28, 2021, 05:20 AM   #100
stagpanther

Quote:
Quote:
I just got .25 inches at 25 using some bulk Thunderbolt, purchased at 1 cent per round a few years back. I am playing with a hose clamp tuner, this weeks goal is .5 inch at 50
I figure a rifle HAS to be sub .5 at 50 to nail all of the top row in RG's contest. I'm gonna do it even if it takes me developing my own hand loads.