The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2021, 09:44 AM   #1
mehavey

1/2-oz 12 Gauge (for the Search engines)

Just playing on the skeet range for the last 9 months -- decide to take the shot weights down.
Hodgdon & Lyman have good Load references, so I walked it down: 1⅛, 1.0, 7/8, 3/4, ... things shot so well-balanced with the 12ga Beretta O/U that I thought I'd take it down to duplicate where my Beretta 410 was as well -- only with better "mass" in swinging up/over on Low Gun.

Only no data -- at all -- for 12Ga_½oz

"The Internet" came up with just duplicating mid point 3/4 oz data for the components (AA/Fiocchi616/Claybuster-CB0175-12/700X/15gr), and putting a felt wad-spacer in the 3/4-oz shot cup.
(Felt was more trouble than it's worth. I settled on using a 1/8" card)

FailSafe -- same powder load, but lighter projectile.
Worked/shot well over about a week-10 days

Decided to save my 700X supply and look for other powder options.
Hodgdon listed that same 3/4 oz load for 700X, Clays, and TiteWad.
I had a coupla pounds of Clays.
Same game: Mid 3/4 oz Loadout (16.9gr), but with lighter projectile (1/2 oz)

AHEM:
A bit of a surprise -- and had to walk it down... "quite a bit"

Chronographs are your friend.

WARNING: My Beretta/Shotgun, the exact components listed, and my dusty old (but still very reliable) Oehler-35.
Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by mehavey; October 5, 2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old October 5, 2021, 12:44 PM   #2
stinkeypete

Very impressive work. Thank you for posting!

Perhaps the most impressive thing is that you didn't shoot your chronograph with your shotgun. I've shot mine several times.

The versatility of a shotgun continues to impress me, and reminds me why I keep that old single shot Stevens in my gun safe. From squirrel to deer, it can do it in a pinch.
Old October 5, 2021, 03:02 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Interesting path of development.

Let us know how a half ounce 12 gauge patterns and breaks targets compared to a .410.
Old October 5, 2021, 06:02 PM   #4
mehavey

The patterning board doesn't show big difference in 23yd/skeet chokes effect between the two Berettas (12/410)
But the 12ga's mass is much more comfortable in swinging into/with the birds.

Adding to the data tonight since I've now got to live w/ a dog's breakfast in primer stock:
Relative/Probable peak pressure effect at far right:

Last edited by mehavey; October 5, 2021 at 09:41 PM.
Old October 6, 2021, 10:37 AM   #5
MarkCO

Nice work.
Old October 6, 2021, 12:43 PM   #6
FITASC

I can say that my 3/4oz 12 gauge loads absolutely crush targets when I tighten things up at least one constriction from what I would use with a 1oz load
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 6, 2021, 07:20 PM   #7
stuckinthe60s

it seems like a lot of work. but hey, its the joy of being American, I guess. bravo.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner

Last edited by stuckinthe60s; October 6, 2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old October 7, 2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Seedy Character

I've loaded a lot of the 3/4 oz loads. Great for teaching young, small frame or recoil sensitive shooters. Great for Cowboy Action, too.
Plus, the slight savings on shot and powder.

I may have to give 1/2 oz a try
Old October 7, 2021, 10:19 AM   #9
FITASC

Not slight savings, especially compared to a 1oz or 1-1/8oz load. The shot savings are substantial. The reduction in recoil lets me shoot 300-400 rounds in a day; even through my Beretta gas guns
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 7, 2021, 10:32 AM   #10
FITASC

OP- I wonder if it would be easier to place the filler cards over the shot instead of under?
Old October 7, 2021, 03:51 PM   #11
mehavey

Actually, just dropping the card into the shot cup, and then seating the shot cup as normal
followed by shot drop, seems the simplest method. Produces normal crimp.

Also, doesn't leave anything in front of the shot column to decelerate back through the
pattern as things exit the muzzle.
Old October 12, 2021, 10:23 PM   #12
darkgael

Food for thought about the wad placed atop the shot and the possible problem of the wad decelerating through the shot column and disturbing the pattern.
I shoot muzzleloading shotguns during hunting season. There is a much discussed loading in MLing circles. It is called the “skychief load”. It produces very nice patterns in many shotguns. The load places a well lubricated cushion wad atop the shot charge in lieu of the traditional overshot card
Old October 13, 2021, 06:56 AM   #13
mehavey

Quote:
well lubricated cushion wad atop the shot charge in lieu of the traditional overshot card
I'll have to try that with the Brown Bess at the skeet range.
[singles only]
Old December 11, 2021, 11:54 AM   #14
bladesmith 1

3/4oz load =s 533 shells per 25#s of shot. 1oz =s 400. If you shoot a lot it adds up in a hurry. About all I shoot is 3/4oz loads or my magnum 7/8 for trap [ all birds on edge ] . Not sure if I'm brave enough to try 1/2oz loads.
Old December 22, 2021, 02:06 PM   #15
bladesmith 1

That well lubed wad over the shot - not sure how that works. I tried some Circle Fly .062 OS cards in brass shells and got donut patterns - big hole in the middle. The idea behind the thicker OS card was you wouldn't need to glue them in brass cases. Even my old reprint of a Sears 1905 catalog recommends a very thin - .032 card for OS so patterns would not get the ol donut pattern. With shotgun shells, 82grs of 2F, a OP .135 card and a 1/2" cushion wad, there ain't a lot of room for shot and a thick lubed OS wad. I'm not saying it wouldn't work but I'd just rather stick to proven methods.
Old December 23, 2021, 11:05 AM   #16
GE-Minigun

I would love to use this, but the additional time it would take to place the shot card in the wad would add too much time to the process. Wish Claybuster would make the wad...just need to increase the bump in the bottom of the 3/4oz wad
Old December 23, 2021, 11:18 AM   #17
mehavey

Quote:
Let us know how a half ounce 12 gauge patterns and breaks targets compared to a .410
Actually better... but not for why you'd think.
I found that the 410 barrels -- being but half the diameter of the 12 -- gave me a false sense of leading the bird in deflection shots.

The proportionate size of the 410 relative to the bird said I was leading enough....

I wasn't....

Last edited by mehavey; December 23, 2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old December 23, 2021, 12:55 PM   #18
FITASC

Add a few Cheerios in the bottom; honey nut leave a nice aroma in the air!
Old December 26, 2021, 10:49 AM   #19
Eight_is_enough

It cannot be something the shot tube will jam down onto and get plugged with, while seating the wad.

I built a lot of 3/4 oz loads by sticking a dried bean down into the shot before moving to the pre-crimp station. Eventually got tired of the time required and just went with 7/8 oz.

Skeet rules do not allow shooting subgauge with a 12-ga shell, regardless of how little shot you put in.
Old December 26, 2021, 07:59 PM   #20
mehavey

Quote:
shooting subgauge with a 12-ga shell, regardless of how little shot you put in.
Did the Poster mean to say that you can't shoot a super-gauge in a subgauge event ?
Old December 27, 2021, 12:04 PM   #21
FITASC

Quote:
Quote:
shooting subgauge with a 12-ga shell, regardless of how little shot you put in.
Did the Poster mean to say that you can't shoot a super-gauge in a subgauge event ?
All games allow you to use a smaller bore size gun for competition in larger bore size events, but not the other way around. If I want to shoot 1 gun for everything, a 410 would be it. That said, shooting a 410 in 12, 20, and 28 gauge events does not tend to have the degree of success.
Old February 24, 2022, 12:33 PM   #22
bladesmith 1

Well I tried the 1/2oz loads with 15grs of 700X and they worked fine. Gave some to the guys shooting 5-stand and they really liked them. Guess I'll be ordering some 20ga wads seeing how I used all the old ones I had.
Old March 9, 2022, 11:13 AM   #23
bladesmith 1

On my Mec Jr after seating a plastic wad I inserted the fiber card and only used enough pressure to seat the fiber card, not wanting to have it pushed up into the 12ga drop tube. It only takes a couple of seconds. Compared to my 9000H I'm using something made in the dark ages, so what's another pull of the handle ?
Old March 10, 2022, 07:42 AM   #24
darkgael

Blade: Agreed that there is not a whole lot of room left in a brass hull if you simply replace the OS card with the lubed wad.
Two things: the skychief loading was developed for muzzleloaders. No space problem there.
The other thing is that the Skychief eliminates the cushion wad between the powder and the shot. Did you try that? Should eliminate the space problem.
What brass hulls did you use?
Old March 10, 2022, 02:45 PM   #25
bladesmith 1

I was using 444 Marlin for 410 reloads and that shell is a bit shorter than a 410 shell.