The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 20, 2021, 10:06 PM   #1
Kirkpatrick

Used Shotgun Inspection

Sorry if this topic has already been done, but I couldn't find it doing a search. I bought an old Mossberg 500 (old enough to have a metal trigger guard and dual arms on the forend. I got a deal on it $150. I want to change the barrel to a shorter one, but that's no big deal.
The issue is that I know how to inspect semi-auto and bolt guns for general saftey, but I'm not so sure about shotguns. Head-spcacing? Breachblock? I really don't know what I'm looking for other than how it cycles dumby rounds and how smooth the action is. Except for the barrel where the blueing has worn, I don't see any obvious problems other than the slop in the pump (but I read that this is normal with older 500's). I know to replace the magazine spring. I just want to make sure that when it goes bang, the round goes away from my head. Any help would be appericated. The serial number is L06xxxx. Thanks
Old August 21, 2021, 02:30 AM   #2
Blindstitch

I doubt you really have to care about a Mossberg 500. It's going to work and most likely fine. But I would take the barrel off, drop out the trigger, bolt and just inspect for excessive wear, broken parts or modified parts. If nothing looks odd then no worries.
Old August 21, 2021, 06:53 AM   #3
stuckinthe60s

wiggle and twist the bbl side to side in lock up.
look for dents or obstructions in the bbl.
check the op' of the safety.
check wood for cracks.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old August 21, 2021, 09:14 AM   #4
MarkCO

Other than the obvious things like a missing extractor, cracked wood, rust and general function, I always pull the trigger group. You want to make sure that the pins fit nice and tight in the receiver and that there is not crud or parts about to fall out in the trigger.

On those with rotating bolts, the cam pin is a good place to check, but not an issue with the Mossberg 500.
Old August 21, 2021, 07:32 PM   #5
Pahoo

Check our You-Tube

On projects like this, I start out with inspecting the "Practical's" and evolve in addressing the Particulars. The firearm will let you know what it needs. My most recent project was a Remington 870 and it's been a real mess. Not worth the money but just couldn't stand to see it in this condition. I'm even going to have to disassemble the trigger group as the safety is not working. I usually start out by separating the barrel and pump action, from the receiver and trigger group. Eventually, all come your way; smooth and reliable. Check out some videos, on you-tube. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 23, 2021, 04:04 PM   #6
jrothWA

Keep it Simple, Tear it down and detail every assembly, relube as needed, any suspect part replace it.
M500 are simple to get into.

Tags
mossber 500 inspection