The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2021, 09:44 PM   #1
MarkCO

Local News Story on Trap

Rennick is a three year competitor on my Trap team and is the first from the school, and we think the Denver Metro to get a full ride to college to shoot trap. The sports anchor spent 3 hours with us at the range, and I even got to teach him how to shoot trap. He had never touched a gun before Saturday. He did break the clay he shot on film, his 6th shot ever.

This short segment aired tonight. A longer story will air during the prep sports rally this weekend.

https://www.9news.com/embeds/video/7...me?jwsource=cl
Old February 11, 2021, 10:21 PM   #2
FITASC

Good for him! In my area, we have several young kids - both genders - shooting on high school teams and getting the attention similar to this young man with the potential for some college scholarships as well. Nice to see young kids taking an interest
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 12, 2021, 08:00 AM   #3
eastbank

we have a hard time getting younger people into the clay games, we try with free rounds of trap including shells and offer shotguns to use also(browning-bretta- remington-winchester trap models).
Old February 12, 2021, 10:01 AM   #4
MarkCO

I started the Trap team 3 years ago. Two 2nds and a State Title and 5 that have made All-State. My oldest was offered a scholarship to shoot trap last year but he took the baseball one instead.

We started with about 15 on the team, 1 had ever shot a round of trap prior. We are a bit over 20 and the school gave us lettering privilege's for the team, even though the State does not recognize trap as a sport. I let the kids on the team talk their friends into joining. I run it kind of two tier...you can do it recreationally, or, if you want to work hard, we will coach you as best we can. Most of the kids, once they get a little success, enjoy it and keep at it.
Old February 12, 2021, 10:07 AM   #5
Shotgun Slim

Thank you thank you thank you for doing what you are doing for the sport and those kids.
Old February 12, 2021, 12:56 PM   #6
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Slim View Post
Thank you thank you thank you for doing what you are doing for the sport and those kids.
It is truly my pleasure.

I hope it makes it into the weekend story, but Rennick answered a question about how shooting has affected him in other areas of his life.

He said that he is more focused, grades improved, and he is more thoughtful about the consequences of his actions since he knows if he gets in trouble, that the school, his coach, and or his parents might not let him shoot. That made me smile.

Lettering in Trap, is known through the school, as the hardest sport to letter in.
Old February 12, 2021, 03:45 PM   #7
Shotgun Slim

My daughter was on her college's clay target team. She discovered that partying and going to bars with her buddies interfered with her shooting ability. So which activitiy did she give up? She traded hangovers for state championships. Thank the Lord
Old February 13, 2021, 02:41 PM   #8
MarkCO

That is a better reward Slim.
Old February 14, 2021, 07:20 PM   #9
soupsandwich

MarkCO,

Saw the piece on 9News this morning - congrats to Rennick and thanks to you and the others involved in getting the trap team up and running!