The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2018, 09:15 AM   #51
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd only buy the 1980s PT-92. Those things were interchangeable with the Beretta 92. AGI (but at that time Lassen College Senior Instructor) Bob Dunlap swapped slides (put a PT-92 slide on a Beretta 92 frame) and found it worked.
Old July 8, 2018, 10:31 AM   #52
Winny

I have a 92FS that I love with every ounce of my soul. I’ve had the gun for several years and have done a bit of work to it in that time.

I personally don’t mind the slide mounted safety, but I converted mine to the G type model so it is a decocker only. Significantly better IMHO.

I’ve swapped out most springs, grips, hammer, guide rod, and safety over the years and she shoots like a dream.

Beretta customer service is excellent and for me that in itself sells me over the Taurus. I have also shot beretta shotguns my whole life and may have a bud towards the brand.

Good luck with your decision
Old July 8, 2018, 10:39 AM   #53
pete2

I bought a PT100, I really like the frame mounted safety on the Taurus. Altho nothing wrong, the pistol would not shoot more than about 60 rounds without an unexplained 3 point jam. Traded it for a Ruger LC9, never looked back. I do have a SS Beretta 92FS, has never had a problem. I sent it to Wilson and it is now decocker only. I guess I misspoke, I did have a problem, I put it on safe a couple times when reloading in a match, that's why it is now decocker only.
Old July 9, 2018, 02:10 PM   #54
anothernewb

I owned a Taurus PT92 AFS. And while it was a very nice gun and after some work the trigger was rather good too. However, I was never able to achieve the accuracy some have with mine, and it was a nightmare with the one customer service call I had to make with it. It was returned with the issue not repaired either. I certainly wouldn't trash on it it for others that like them. It just never fit my hands as well as a 1911. I eventually gave up on it, and traded it for a Ruger PC9.