The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
psychobilly

Flare gun pistols?

Hi Guys, Not sure what caterory to put this in but: I've heard/read the idea of buying "inserts" for old(WW2 I think) 25.6mm flare guns in 410ga/45LC and
22LR.Any thoughts/facts or experience with this.A friend at the marine supply
store said that 12ga flare guns went flying off his shelves when the gun up-
roar started,but the only way he would try it would be with the flare gun tied
to a big tree and a long string to pull the trigger. I'm sure our members have
thoughts,opinions & most of all experience on this.

Thanks all, Psychobilly
Old March 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
g.willikers

Isn't a flare gun, used with a regular flare round, a good enough short range weapon as-is?
Preferably outdoors, though.
Old March 2, 2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Stukaman

Flare gun pistols?

All the flares I've seen anymore are much longer than could be put in a regular shotgun.
Old March 3, 2013, 05:35 AM   #4
kozak6

The inserts need to be rifled or else you end up with an AOW.
Old March 4, 2013, 05:09 PM   #5
LarryFlew

12 gauge inserts for the old Czech flare guns are full length and rifled. Only ones I have actually seen.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:21 AM   #6
kozak6

The economics don't really work out, either. A sturdy metal flare pistol and and an insert gets you into Hi Point range. Or, you might as well save a little more and get a milsurp or police trade in.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Sport45

Quote:
All the flares I've seen anymore are much longer than could be put in a regular shotgun.
A flare will stick in the choke of a cheap 12ga (full choke) shotgun.

We used to use them to light flare stacks. You'd have to saw the barrel off short of the choke to get them to work. Oddly enough, they were more accurate out of the little plastic flare pistol.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:09 AM   #8
BoogieMan

I have several new style flare guns, when the flare kit goes out of date its cheaper to buy the kit than replace the individual flares. I would never consider putting the lightest of shotgun loads in them. I have never pulled a flare apart, but i dont think they have a charge in them just a primer.
The old mil-surp flare guns I have seen would probably handle a light charge load. They have also been more expensive than many low end pistols.
As a bit of a side note. I heard of someone trying to shoot a seagull at about 5 yards with one. Apparently they are only accurate enough to hit the sky.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 5, 2013, 09:15 PM   #9
alaskabushman

12 Ga flares are very corrosive so avoid shooting them out of your shotgun unless its an actual emergency. Living on an island as I do and since the Coast Guard requires all watercraft to carry flares, I have handled quite a few. I usually just buy the bright orange plastic Orion flare pistol kits. I know the Kennesaw Cannon Co. sells flare inserts for the 25.6 mm flare guns and I have always been curious to see how they worked. I have been thinking myself about buying a 12 ga insert and cutting it down to fit into a standard 12 Ga flare gun. if its in .22 I doubt you would have any problems, even with a plastic gun, since the insert is metal. Accuracy will be terrible I am sure, but thats not the point. For me, the point is a virtually disposable handgun that I can pop halibut with or take trapping. If it gets dropped overboard or lost...oh well.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Stukaman

Flare gun pistols?

Flares used to e little stubby thing like those Aquila mini shells now they are much longer perhaps to prevent use in a shotgun?
Old March 5, 2013, 10:01 PM   #11
alaskabushman

The Orion flares I buy are the short little ones, I have never seen any longer than a shotshell.
Old March 6, 2013, 02:55 AM   #12
armsmaster270

Olin makes a flare longer than2 1/2". I have a 26.5" all steel flare gun with a 6" barrel, meteortype 26.5 rounds are 3 1/4"long. Smoke are 5 1/4"long and the 12ga conversion barrel is aluminum alloy bored 12ga 4 3/4" with a step in it to prevent putting a 2 3/4" shell in it, but a colibri mini 12ga shell will fit I will let you hold it to test fire it with live 12ga ammo

Last edited by armsmaster270; March 6, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old January 17, 2014, 07:34 PM   #13
Penguinchick10

Flare guns are safe fun inexpensive and effective home protection!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wjSBsvNfItg

I put Picatinny weaver type scope mount on top of my geco 26.5 mm flare gun, and mounted a green dot laser on top of it. I can hit any pie plate size target within 50 ft. Of me with either a 45 long colt, 410 slug, or with a hot loaded 3" 410 Winchester loaded with 5 pellets of 000 buck shot! The Geco is my short range flare gun. These are no toys and these guns are not only short range accurate, they pack one heck of a whollop too! These are excellent inexpensive very strong very well made home defense weapons. In my house I need no more accuracy than 15 feet. I keep my tusty flare gun next to my bed loade w/ one shot of Winchester .410 gauge, 3 inch predator, loade w/ pellets of 000 buchk shot, movin out at 1135 feet per second! That's like hittin some one with 5 .380's at one time. The 000 buck shot don't know what is propelling it along at over 1000 FPS! Could be a 12 gauge or it could be my flare gun! End result is the same! Any time you hit some thing w/ triple 000 buck it gonna hurt real bad and do lots of damage! Barry on you tube posted a video of him shooting his laser mounted 45/410 flare gun! Very accurate! I listed the link above. Also for my flare gun, sub caliber insert, and the laser sight, I invested like around 100 bucks! You will die before before my German Geco breaks down! It will out live both you and me! Have fun! Enjoy the video.
Old January 18, 2014, 06:44 PM   #14
Cheapshooter

Makes one wonder if some people are buying flare guns because they for some reason can't but regular firearms.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; January 21, 2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old January 18, 2014, 09:29 PM   #15
Penguinchick10

Flare gun! Not flair gun! Lol. Funny!

Although my flare gun does have flair, it is still a flare gun. Not a flair gun ! Makes you wonder why I love my flare gun, you ask? I am not a rich person but used to be a lic. Gun dealer in my younger years, and am a life long NRA member. Have you seen the prices of new guns lately? Sky rocketed! I am disabled and on disability, and that does not leave much for buying a Quality name handgun! I would love a H K .45! Who wouldn't! I just don't have a thousand dollars to plop down and buy one! Yes I have champagne tastes, but unfortunately I have a beer pocket book! But I still have a .45 that serves me well, for under 100 bucks! In fact I call my flare gun a poor mans Thompson contender. My flare gun shoots, .45 long colt, .410 shot gun shells, slugs and shot, .357 magnum, with 10" barrel, and .22 long rifle too! I can buy more inserts and have more barrels to shoot more calibers too! It's funny because when I am at the range, all the guys with all there expensive hand guns and long guns all seem to be fascinated by what I am shooting! They all want to shoot my flare (flair LOL gun! And I let them too! Lots of fun! Makes me wonder who is buying flare guns? Well now you don't have to wonder no more! Law abiding, upstanding, life time NRA members like me are buying them! God bless America! Home of the free, land of the brave Hoo Raa!
Old January 19, 2014, 07:25 PM   #16
Snyper

http://www.atf.gov/press/releases/20...e-inserts.html

Quote:
ATF’s Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) is aware of an insert/sleeve designed to be installed in an Orion 25mm/12 gauge flare launcher that allows the use of conventional ammunition in these flare launchers. FTB was contacted by Orion, who indicated that these flare launchers are not designed to accept standard ammunition, and that the use of an adapter in conjunction with conventional ammunition would likely result in a catastrophic failure of the flare launcher.

There are two sizes of inserts available; one size for a 12 gauge flare launcher and one for a 25mm launcher. These insets are smooth bore and capable of accepting a variety of different types of conventional ammunition.

It is the determination of FTB that if these inserts are installed in a flare launcher or are possessed with a flare launcher they would be classified as an “Any Other Weapon,” which is a firearm subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA).

26 U.S.C. § 5861(d) states that it is unlawful to receive or possess an NFA firearm which is not registered in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record. Violation of the cited section by an individual is a felony subject to a maximum penalty of 5 years imprisonment and/or a fine of $250,000. In the case of a violation by an organization, the maximum penalty is a $500,000 fine. In addition, 18 U.S.C. § 2 provides that a person who knowingly aids and abets another person in the commission of an offense is also responsible for the offense. Thus, the sale of components in violation of § 5861(d) may place the seller in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2, as well.
Old January 21, 2014, 09:55 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Makes one wonder if some people are buying flare guns because they for some reason can't but regular firearms.
There, fixed it..
I to want a flare gun. Not to convert to another firearm, but just for the fun of shooting flares. I see them at Knob Creek every year with the super bright parachute flares during the night shoot, and smoke during the day. I was going to get one from one of the vendors on distributors row, but kind of forgot. Gonna pick one up this April.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!